Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Level

Pau Gasol Trade - Steve Nash Implications

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=crygyq3

Harris + Jefferson + our 2013 first for Pau Gasol.

Utah Does It: Gasol is still a beast, but he has been jaded by playing with Kobe and the Lakers. Gasol and Favors would give us a nasty starting line-up and with Millsap off the bench we would probably have the best front-court.

This also makes us a heavy favorite for signing Nash. Why wouldn't Nash want to come play with Pau Gasol and the rest of the Jazz young roster?

Lakers Do It: Gasol has been jaded by Kobe. The Lakers probably don't have the balls to trade Kobe, and Bynum is the future of the team. The obvious choice is to move Gasol. By getting Harris and Jefferson, they get two expiring contracts, allowing them to have TONS of cap room for 2013 where they could get James Harden or any other number of big FA's. Harris also gives them a better PG than they currently have. The Jefferson + Bynum front-court is probably terrible, but it does give them two dominant scorers down low.

We may have to switch out Jefferson for Millsap, because Sap would be a better fit next to Bynum, but I may still be interested in that.

I think this trade gives us a great chance to actually compete (assuming Nash signs) and it doesn't really halt our future development. Gasol still has some good years left in him and I think he would shine in Utah with Nash feeding him.

Thoughts? Does this work financially assuming Nash gives us a good deal?

Rep Level
    If we could get Nash, then I would love to do it, but if we couldn't, then I would prefer to trade Al and Bell (both come off the books after next year) for Gasol. Harris wasn't horrible toward the end of the season, and if we have nothing else, he would be better than nothing.

Rep Level
    I'd do it - only if Pau is game.

I'd do it with the main reason of teaching our young guys (Favors & Kanter) those silky smooth post moves.

But Pau HAS TO be game.
    KkKkkKKkkkKkKkkKKKkkkKkkkKkk

#LoveYourNeighbourHOOD

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by JJAS View Post
    If we could get Nash, then I would love to do it, but if we couldn't, then I would prefer to trade Al and Bell (both come off the books after next year) for Gasol. Harris wasn't horrible toward the end of the season, and if we have nothing else, he would be better than nothing.
    Yeah, too bad you have to actually give up good players to get a good player back in a trade.

Rep Level
    I would sign on for this in heartbeat IF Pau is down for this, Millsap stays as a SF/6thman (depending on matchup) and Nash comes.

That would indeed be badass.
    #BelieveInLindsey

Rep Level
    I doubt Lakers do this though.

Houston would throw the kitchen sink at Pau, and so would a lot of other teams.

Big Al & Harris & our pick are not so special that other teams cannot beat. If we also throw in GS' pick next year then 'may be'. But would we be willing to do all that? I think not.

#LoveYourNeighbourHOOD

Drinkin haterade, ridin the hate train through hateville
    Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrone Torbin View Post
    Someone else said this and I need credit/attention.
    Amazing how much cooler ideas sound when you plagiarize them from other posters.

http://jazzfanz.com/showthread.php?1...fect-Offseason
    No Mediocrity

Rep Level
    We do this so Pau can start crying like all the other laker players that have been traded away. I can see something similar happening like Derek Fisher or Lamar Odom. Probably will want to buy his contract out or he will just play so bad it wont even be worth it.

Rep Level
    If only Kanter was Spanish..

Then Pau may feel compel to "groom" Kanter as the next Spanish superstar

#LoveYourNeighbourHOOD

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by pickledXgrandma View Post
    We do this so Pau can start crying like all the other laker players that have been traded away. I can see something similar happening like Derek Fisher or Lamar Odom. Probably will want to buy his contract out or he will just play so bad it wont even be worth it.
    I don't get the sense Gasol loves playing in LA, or with Kobe.

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by franklin View Post
    Amazing how much cooler ideas sound when you plagiarize them from other posters.

http://jazzfanz.com/showthread.php?1...fect-Offseason
    He proposed something different and I didn't read it.

Rep Level
    No way LA does it. They want a star - someone who can either a). take some of the scoring load of Kobe and help extend his career b). has the potential to blossom into a superstar to carry the franchise as Kobe ages. Unlike Gasol in Memphis, Al Jefferson is a 1-dimensional post-player who puts up numbers but doesn't win and doesn't make his teammates better. Playing Jefferson and Bynum together would be a defensive sieve on pick&rolls, and create even more offensive stagnation since both players are at the best in the lowpost. Millsap doesn't give LA anything they didn't already have in Gasol.

Additionally it isn't feasible for LA to create massive cap space in 2013 because Kobe is still under contract for that season, and unless the Lakers plan on letting Bynum walk and getting nothing in return (highly unlikely) - they won't have anywhere near the cap room to sign a max-FA whether Gasol is on the team or not.

The only way I see LA moving Gasol is if they're able to land a Dwight Howard-type player in return. They already gave up Odom for peanuts, they're not going to take $.75 back on the dollar again. Obviously I find this fake trade attractive from Utah's perspective, just not very realistic or reasonable.
    "It's a loss. It's one loss on our home floor that we aren't happy with." -Ty Corbin, 12/26/12.
    "It's one loss." -Ty Corbin, 1/11/13.
    "Whether you lose by one or by 45 like we did tonight, it's one loss." -Ty Corbin, 1/28/13.
    "It's one loss." -Ty Corbin, 4/3/13.
    It's disappointing any time you don't make the playoffs." -Ty Corbin, 4/17/13.

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by vslice02 View Post
    No way LA does it. They want a star - someone who can either a). take some of the scoring load of Kobe and help extend his career b). has the potential to blossom into a superstar to carry the franchise as Kobe ages. Unlike Gasol in Memphis, Al Jefferson is a 1-dimensional post-player who puts up numbers but doesn't win and doesn't make his teammates better. Playing Jefferson and Bynum together would be a defensive sieve on pick&rolls, and create even more offensive stagnation since both players are at the best in the lowpost. Millsap doesn't give LA anything they didn't already have in Gasol.

Additionally it isn't feasible for LA to create massive cap space in 2013 because Kobe is still under contract for that season, and unless the Lakers plan on letting Bynum walk and getting nothing in return (highly unlikely) - they won't have anywhere near the cap room to sign a max-FA whether Gasol is on the team or not.

The only way I see LA moving Gasol is if they're able to land a Dwight Howard-type player in return. They already gave up Odom for peanuts, they're not going to take $.75 back on the dollar again. Obviously I find this fake trade attractive from Utah's perspective, just not very realistic or reasonable.
    No one is going to give the Lakers a Super-Star to get an aging Gasol who has over 40 million left on his contract for 2 years. They want cap space, productive starters/depth, and draft picks. Like I said, I understand the Bynum/Jefferson starting line-up isn't a great fit on paper, so they may rather have Millsap. I don't know what else is being offered for Gasol, but I find it hard to believe anyone is going to give them a Super-Star.

Rep Level
    I heard Chris Broussard brought up Philadelphia and Houston as suitors for Gasol.

He said Philly could offer Iggy.

He said Houston could offer Scola and Lowry.

I would assume both of those teams would offer picks, but you're telling me Jefferson or Millsap and Harris aren't better than those packages?

Also, the only teams who are going to want Gasol are playoff teams who feel that he can take them to the next level. Teams that aren't that good aren't going to be after him.

Banned
    Rep Level
    As tempting as it may be, I wouldn't do it. Not with the 1st involved. Not with two more years of Pau at 19M per. Pau will be 32 before next year and I'm not sure I want to strap us down to that star.