Anyone here have tried any vertical jump program?
The reason I'm asking this is, well... As I said before(in P90X thread), I'm a small guy (5'6") but somehow I happened to make a betting with my friends. I just said that if I wanted it badly, I could dunk. Yes I'm aware how absurd it is, but I did it anyway. We got a deal based on me dunking in six month to one year.
Anyway I did some very scientific researches(obviously on the internet) and find out that at least it's not impossible. I mean, me dunking.
Then I went for digging up my current athletic situation. Here is the report I ended up with.
1) Height : 5'6" barefoot, 5'7" with shoes.
2) Weight : 145 lbs with 17% body fat.
3) Wingspan : 5'7"
4) Standing Reach : 7'2" barefoot, 7'3" with shoes.
5) Hands : Literally small, I can hold the size 7 Bball barely for 3 seconds with one hand.
6) Sport Experience : None. Some mornings, when I coudn't wake up, I run about 2 miles to catch up the class. I tried P90X plyometrics and 30 mins through it, I vomited all over the stairs to the WC. I can do 20-25 push ups and 2-3 pull ups. My younger brother can beat me up easily but I can beat my gf at arm wrestling.
7) Flexibility : I have rather a flexible body, probably one of the few advantages of being short.
8) Other : A tooth with decay, thinning hair.
A few days ago, I went to the college court and tried to dunk. At my first attempt, I couldn't dunk. At my second attempt, I thought I dunked and it was like a 360, but they(my friends) said that I just did hit my head badly to the trunk of the rim after I fell on the ground. I don't remember the rest of that day.
Yesterday, I went to the court again, this time with a measuring tape to measure my vertical jumps. I implemented the routine wall-type vertical jumping tests for about half an hour, here is my report on it.
1) Best standing VJ : 22 inches, the reach is 9'1".
2) Best VJ with a single step : Same as 1.
3) Max running VJ with one foot : 24 inches, the reach is 9'3".
4) Max running VJ with two feet : 23 inches, the reach is 9'2".
Now, based on my researches, they say one could dunk if he/she can reach to 10'6". This means I need 33 inches to touch the rim and 39 inches to dunk. I believe if I ever can touch the rim once, I can dunk, because then I will become a believer. Rigth now I don't believe myself, at all. And this means, all I need is 9 more frigging inches to touch the rim.
One positive thing that makes me happy like a girl is that the guys on the court regularly, are saying that I'm a natural jumper and I have the potential to improve it.
Now, back to the original topic and my question... I need a program to improve my VJ at least 9 inches. Do you think it's possible? Have you ever tried such a program? Could you give any advices to improve my VJ? Any advices, references and experiences will be welcomed. Help me guys.
One final thing : I'm 92 born.