Page 88 of 1186 FirstFirst ... 38788687888990981381885881088 ... LastLast
Results 1,306 to 1,320 of 17788
  1. #1306
    Senior Member LazyD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    The City
    Posts
    6,298
    Rep Power
    69
    Rep Level
    17711
    Pierre Jackson is one of the best players in college basketball, but not a very good pro prospect.

    If D Thomas is available in the 2nd round, that'd be a solid pick. He'd give much better offensive production initially than most others in the class. Of course he'll never be a solid NBA defender, but there has to be a reason if he's a second rounder. I think he'll have a big year though, and someone will take him long before the second round.

  2. #1307
    In pursuit of #9 PKM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    45,425
    Rep Power
    150
    Rep Level
    44215
    Quote Originally Posted by LazyD View Post
    Pierre Jackson is one of the best players in college basketball, but not a very good pro prospect.

    If D Thomas is available in the 2nd round, that'd be a solid pick. He'd give much better offensive production initially than most others in the class. Of course he'll never be a solid NBA defender, but there has to be a reason if he's a second rounder. I think he'll have a big year though, and someone will take him long before the second round.
    I don't know if I'd call Jackson one of the best college players, but he's very good, so we'll not split hairs.

    In the 2nd round I like Thomas .. and will also be watching Christian Watford.
    E.J. Wells vs. NAOS

    The confusion...

    ---
    Pre-season mock (7/13/13) - page 111

  3. #1308
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tabor Heights
    Posts
    12,581
    Rep Power
    0
    Rep Level
    4891
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM View Post
    I don't know if I'd call Jackson one of the best college players, but he's very good, so we'll not split hairs.

    In the 2nd round I like Thomas .. and will also be watching Christian Watford.
    What about the other guys I mentioned on the previous page? Also, your 7 footer really reminds me of Tyson Chandler...his body...how he moves...

  4. #1309
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    3,240
    Rep Power
    0
    Rep Level
    3775
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    What about the other guys I mentioned on the previous page? Also, your 7 footer really reminds me of Tyson Chandler...his body...how he moves...
    His terrible tattoos

  5. #1310
    Senior Member LazyD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    The City
    Posts
    6,298
    Rep Power
    69
    Rep Level
    17711
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM View Post
    I don't know if I'd call Jackson one of the best college players, but he's very good, so we'll not split hairs.

    In the 2nd round I like Thomas .. and will also be watching Christian Watford.
    He is. Big 12 gets no pub.

  6.  

     

  7. #1311
    In pursuit of #9 PKM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    45,425
    Rep Power
    150
    Rep Level
    44215
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp Rosetti View Post
    What about the other guys I mentioned on the previous page? Also, your 7 footer really reminds me of Tyson Chandler...his body...how he moves...
    I'm in some meetings, I'll go back and look in a bit and respond.

    Quote Originally Posted by LazyD View Post
    He is. Big 12 gets no pub.
    Okie dokie. (Not sure what pub has to do with anything. Scouts and evaluators are plenty aware of Baylor University)
    For the record, I agree with you mostly .. not arguing.
    E.J. Wells vs. NAOS

    The confusion...

    ---
    Pre-season mock (7/13/13) - page 111

  8. #1312
    Senior Member orangello's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Draft BPA
    Posts
    13,425
    Rep Power
    64
    Rep Level
    15265
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM View Post
    .. and will also be watching Christian Watford.
    Watching last night's game I had the same thought. He would certainly be a bench guy but he could help to spread the floor and can play respectable defense at times (I know that's a stretch).
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggs View Post
    So I was very mad about the game, but I wasn't going to vent here, because you guys all feel the same way. However, Ty's postgame interview got my blood boiling. On why he let Trey and Gordon play while having bad games, "You gotta let them battle through it because that's what you gotta do." Really are you kidding me. You have to balls to say that when you pulled Alec after 16 minutes against LAC and Kanter got 19 minutes toinght?

  9. #1313
    Senior Member orangello's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Draft BPA
    Posts
    13,425
    Rep Power
    64
    Rep Level
    15265
    Also after watching Zeller last night it made me want to do a list of pros and cons for him:

    Pros-
    Good size
    Hustle player
    Good offensive game

    Cons-
    Disappears
    Al Jefferson like defense
    Midget arms
    Al Jefferson like defense
    No respectable midrange game
    Al Jefferson like defense

    My conclusion, no thanks.
    Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggs View Post
    So I was very mad about the game, but I wasn't going to vent here, because you guys all feel the same way. However, Ty's postgame interview got my blood boiling. On why he let Trey and Gordon play while having bad games, "You gotta let them battle through it because that's what you gotta do." Really are you kidding me. You have to balls to say that when you pulled Alec after 16 minutes against LAC and Kanter got 19 minutes toinght?

  10. #1314
    In pursuit of #9 PKM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    45,425
    Rep Power
    150
    Rep Level
    44215
    Quote Originally Posted by orangello View Post
    Also after watching Zeller last night it made me want to do a list of pros and cons for him:

    Pros-
    Good size
    Hustle player
    Good offensive game

    Cons-
    Disappears
    Al Jefferson like defense
    Midget arms
    Al Jefferson like defense
    No respectable midrange game
    Al Jefferson like defense

    My conclusion, no thanks.
    Thoughts?
    Not bad. Certainly not #1 overall.
    E.J. Wells vs. NAOS

    The confusion...

    ---
    Pre-season mock (7/13/13) - page 111

  11. #1315
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tabor Heights
    Posts
    12,581
    Rep Power
    0
    Rep Level
    4891
    PKM, and my guys?

  12. #1316
    Senior Member orangello's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Draft BPA
    Posts
    13,425
    Rep Power
    64
    Rep Level
    15265
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM View Post
    Not bad. Certainly not #1 overall.
    If he was three inches shorter than he would be a borderline first rounder. His size is making him a lottery pick.

    I might be a little harsh on him but I look at him and I can't see him getting away with the stuff that he does now, in the NBA. He is going to disappoint somebody. He will have an Ok career but he will never live up to a top 3 pick status.
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggs View Post
    So I was very mad about the game, but I wasn't going to vent here, because you guys all feel the same way. However, Ty's postgame interview got my blood boiling. On why he let Trey and Gordon play while having bad games, "You gotta let them battle through it because that's what you gotta do." Really are you kidding me. You have to balls to say that when you pulled Alec after 16 minutes against LAC and Kanter got 19 minutes toinght?

  13. #1317
    In pursuit of #9 PKM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    45,425
    Rep Power
    150
    Rep Level
    44215
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp Rosetti View Post
    PKM, after Cal, who else would you say is great at developing talent?

    Also, looking at DX, Deshaun Thomas from Ohio State caught my eye as a second rounder. A 3/4 at 6'7" who's hitting 54%/48% (with 6.3 attempts per game) for 24.0 points, grabbing 7.3 rebounds and dishing for 1.5 assists. His wingspan is an inch and a half longer than Hayward's too. How is he?

    Or Pierre Jackson from Baylor? Small but strong stats.

    Dewayne Dedmon from USC?

    Phil Pressey from Missou?

    Michael-Carter Williams (9.3 assists per game) from 'Cuse?
    To be honest about developing talent .. I truly believe there is no one remotely close to Calipari (bash me if you want and call names, but name one).
    Coach K does not have a great rep among NBA personnel.
    Roy Williams' rep is really low.
    Billy Donovan? Nope.
    Not Izzo.
    Calhoun was thought as pretty decent, actually.
    Rick Barnes is a complete asshat.
    Josh Pastner is where studs go to die.
    Rick Pitino? His track record over the past 10 years is laughable.

    Calipari just gets it.
    ---------------------------------------------------

    Dewayne Dedmon from USC? - Obviously a great body, but he's never impressed me. I've never heard him in a conversation with scouts, so I have no idea what they think of him. I just think he'll do very little, to nothing, in the NBA. As a junior now (I think), he should have a very big year in the lowly Pac-12 .. and I bet he doesn't.

    Phil Pressey from Missou? - Similar to Pierre Jackson, I just think he's too undersized and will get eaten alive. Like him in college, no thanks in the NBA. (I like Jackson better)

    Michael-Carter Williams - Most intriguing of the guys listed here, to me. I'm watching his game closely. His defense and assists are piling up FAST .. if he develops a shot then he could become a very nice player and a steal in the 2nd.

    Deshaun Thomas - Of course he should be high on everyone's watch list. Most people here probably don't know that when he was a soph/jr in HS he was being touted as the NEXT big thing and rated #1 in the nation. I think Thad Matta is an excellent recruiter and a very good coach, but kids seem to get little chance to play early and I think it thwarted Deshaun's growth (just my opinion, no one else has said that to me). Upside, very good.

    Did I miss anyone?
    E.J. Wells vs. NAOS

    The confusion...

    ---
    Pre-season mock (7/13/13) - page 111

  14. #1318
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tabor Heights
    Posts
    12,581
    Rep Power
    0
    Rep Level
    4891
    MCW is listed as a mid first rounder right now PKM.

  15. #1319
    In pursuit of #9 PKM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    45,425
    Rep Power
    150
    Rep Level
    44215
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp Rosetti View Post
    MCW is listed as a mid first rounder right now PKM.
    I'm not surprised. Last time I've looked (it's been a while, I'm sure) he was nowhere to be found, as I recall.
    Anyway, good for him.. I like his game. Like I said, his shot hasn't looked good and he definitely needs to at least get his FT's going down .. but he could be a good one.
    E.J. Wells vs. NAOS

    The confusion...

    ---
    Pre-season mock (7/13/13) - page 111

  16. #1320
    Senior Member LazyD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    The City
    Posts
    6,298
    Rep Power
    69
    Rep Level
    17711
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM View Post
    To be honest about developing talent .. I truly believe there is no one remotely close to Calipari (bash me if you want and call names, but name one).
    Coach K does not have a great rep among NBA personnel.
    Roy Williams' rep is really low.
    Billy Donovan? Nope.
    Not Izzo.
    Calhoun was thought as pretty decent, actually.
    Rick Barnes is a complete asshat.
    Josh Pastner is where studs go to die.
    Rick Pitino? His track record over the past 10 years is laughable.

    Calipari just gets it.
    That's fair.

    I think they are all good at developing talent. That is a rather difficult thing to quantify. I think it has more to do with Calipari's recruiting dominance, and the super-athletes that he seems to pull in on a daily basis. He gets more pro prospects out of high school than anybody, so he probably should do pretty well in sending people to the NBA.
    For instance, when it comes to the X's O's of coaching and how to maximize potential I would put the head coach of my alma mater (ISU) up with anyone. I think he can develop talent just as well as Calipari, but will probably never quite get the opportunities that Calipari has/will have. He is a basketball genius.

    I will say nobody is better at recruiting talent than Calipari, but when it comes to coaching/developing players I really don't think he's any better or that much better than an Izzo, Coach K, Bill Self. But I certainly do not think he is any worse than any of those fellows. No one is a better coach than Fred Hoiberg however

    To your point: Rick Barnes, Scott Drew, and Pastner all definitely seem to be asshats.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •