Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Rep Level
    Need advice on finding cheap(er) hotels. I've had some friends suggest I stay at a hostel, but I've also had people give me the "do you want to get raped?" look. Also, the best/safest areas to stay? I went to Seattle with friends one year and we stayed in an area full of prostitutes and crazy homeless people. Don't want a repeat. Thanks.

Rep Level
    Look, some hostels are shady, obviously. But people who instantly equate all hostels with rape are ignorant travelers and have probably never even stayed in a hostel, let alone a nice one. For some reason Americans are just terrified of staying anywhere but a hotel. It's funny because since I've started hosteling my traveling experience has gotten ten times better. I've met people from every corner of the world who I still talk to. Not to mention I've saved thousands of dollars. How rad is that? How much time are you really planning on spending in the hotel anyway? If you're out enjoying NYC, you should pretty much only be there to sleep and maybe eat breakfast in the morning. There's just no reason to pay $200 a night when you can get a better experience for $40. Your extra $160 a night can go to actually enjoying your trip.

Do you research, check hostelworld.com and just go for it. When I visit NYC I always stay at Hosteling International. It's in a safe place right by a subway that goes downtown, huge, the beds are comfy, showers are clean, and they have all kinds of free tours and pub crawls and stuff. There's even a movie theater with couches in the basement for when you just feel like hanging out. It's like $38-$40 a night. I've taken a few American friends with me and they have all had a great time. There are other good hostels in NYC that are even cheaper, but I'm willing to pay $40 a night for the best one available.
    Last edited by Marty McFly; 08-04-2012 at 02:26 AM.

Rep Level
    Good post, MM. I don't typically hostel, but a group of us sometimes travel for phlianthropic causes and when we do, we make a point to save all the money we can so the good deeds money stretches further..

Every time we stay in a hostel I ask myself why I don't do it more often .. A better feel and more intimate experience, IMO.
    E.J. Wells vs. NAOS

The confusion...

---
    Pre-season mock (7/13/13) - page 111

Banned
    Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jazz_fanatic View Post
    Need advice on finding cheap(er) hotels. I've had some friends suggest I stay at a hostel, but I've also had people give me the "do you want to get raped?" look. Also, the best/safest areas to stay? I went to Seattle with friends one year and we stayed in an area full of prostitutes and crazy homeless people. Don't want a repeat. Thanks.
    When my wife and I were dating and still living at home with our parents we decided to stay at a hostel to get some alone time. Staying in a hostel is not a good way to have some alone time. Our door not only didn't have a lock, it didn't have a door handle. The guy running the place was wearing pink hot pants and was hitting on me while we were trying to check in. We ended up pulling the mattresses (I now believe they bought Navy surplus mattresses that were intended to be used on ships...they were small) off the bunk beds we were assigned to and putting them on the floor so we could lay next to each other.

I've never had any desire to stay in a hostel since.

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameface View Post
    When my wife and I were dating and still living at home with our parents we decided to stay at a hostel to get some alone time. Staying in a hostel is not a good way to have some alone time. Our door not only didn't have a lock, it didn't have a door handle. The guy running the place was wearing pink hot pants and was hitting on me while we were trying to check in. We ended up pulling the mattresses (I now believe they bought Navy surplus mattresses that were intended to be used on ships...they were small) off the bunk beds we were assigned to and putting them on the floor so we could lay next to each other.

I've never had any desire to stay in a hostel since.
    Yeah, this is why you'd need to research ANY place you're thinking of booking at, whether it's a hotel, bed and breakfast, or a hostel. Any reputable hostel will have locking doors and locking safes in the room.

And what do you have against pink hot pants?

Rep Level
    I don't always want to spend some one-on-one time with me wife, but when I do, I head to a hostel.
    E.J. Wells vs. NAOS

The confusion...

---

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM View Post
    I don't always want to spend some one-on-one time with me wife, but when I do, I head to a hostel.
    repped.

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrone Torbin View Post
    What if Dalamon travels to 1 or 2 while she is there?
    That's why states have stalking laws.

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by MoTown16 View Post
    That's why states have stalking laws.

Too bad I'm one sneaky son of a bitch

Quote Originally Posted by UGLI baby View Post
    You need to watch as much of Giannis as you can. He's the next big thing, right now I'd srsly consider taking him over Wuggins and Jabari.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi View Post
    I thought Dal was black for a long time. He was one of the people I was referencing when I told colleagues I have several black friends.

I still like him irredgardless.
    *confirmed*

this post is brought to you by Dairy Queen-- home of the Dilly Bar

Rep Level
    I hate bumping threads, especially my own...it makes me feel like a tool. A ranch, to be more specific.

But I'll be leaving soon and need some suggestions. I already got the main stuff down... Broadway show, Rockefeller Center, Statue of Liberty, World Trade Center Memorial, Times Square, Central Park, etc. I even got free tickets to see a live taping of a TV show (one that none of you have ever heard of). What else is there in New York that I absolutely have to do besides the obvious? Also, any tips on how to ride the subway would be greatly appreciated.

Rep Level
    I hate bumping threads, especially my own...it makes me feel like a tool. A ranch, to be more specific.

But I'll be leaving soon and need some suggestions. I already got the main stuff down... Broadway show, Rockefeller Center, Statue of Liberty, World Trade Center Memorial, Times Square, Central Park, etc. I even got free tickets to see a live taping of a TV show (one that none of you have ever heard of). What else is there in New York that I absolutely have to do besides the obvious? Also, any tips on how to ride the subway would be greatly appreciated.
    Make sure you hit up a couple doormen for an awesome place to eat that is more of a locals spot. They always know the best spots and the food is usually world-class and cheaper than the tourist traps.
    E.J. Wells vs. NAOS

The confusion...

---

Rep Level

Ranch

#OnlyPostsHashtags

Banned
    Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by UGLI baby View Post
    Ranch

I could really torque my nuts with one of them.

Banned
    Rep Level

Just ask someone, I've always found people are more than willing to help tourists with subway directions.

Don't pay and go out to the statue of liberty or Ellis Island , it was not as cool as you would think, seeing it from Manhattan is sufficient. WTC sioght is a must see, be prepared to cry your eyes out though. The fire station right across the street from it is pretty emotional. Go to the Alligator Lounge, free pizza with a beer purchase. Win win.

Rep Level
    We're thinking about taking the Staten Island Ferry. It's free and we'd rather do that than pay to go to the Statue of Liberty.