Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power

Why do we restrict the voting rights of felons?

This is a serious question.

Also, just think about what the electoral map would look like if it wasn't true.

I'm jus' one dem guys...come, scrap, blue collar, junkyard dog
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    http://jazzfanz.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=133&dateline=1317382587

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by GVC View Post
    I'd change Utah to red but yea that looks about right lol.

I think once you have served your time you should not have any voting restrictions.
    #BelieveInLindsey #BelieveInSnyder

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    I agree that if we release a person from prison back into our society they should be able to be a "whole" citizen. Creating handicaps and giving them fewer liberties all just feeds into recidivism. I'm not saying it's the cause of recidivism, but it's part of it, imo.

I also vehemently oppose things like Megan's law. In my opinion if you're working off the premise that this human being is dangerous to those around him/her then I'm not sure how you justify allowing them to be out of prison in the first place. I question the "justice" of imprisoning so many people in this country, but if we're going to use prison so liberally as a one size fits all solution to crime we should at least agree to keep dangerous people in prison indefinitely.

Drinkin haterade, ridin the hate train through hateville
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameface View Post
    I agree that if we release a person from prison back into our society they should be able to be a "whole" citizen. Creating handicaps and giving them fewer liberties all just feeds into recidivism. I'm not saying it's the cause of recidivism, but it's part of it, imo.

I also vehemently oppose things like Megan's law. In my opinion if you're working off the premise that this human being is dangerous to those around him/her then I'm not sure how you justify allowing them to be out of prison in the first place. I question the "justice" of imprisoning so many people in this country, but if we're going to use prison so liberally as a one size fits all solution to crime we should at least agree to keep dangerous people in prison indefinitely.
    Not to mention the drag this has on the lives of those who are labeled sexual predators but no one in their right mind actually considers what they did as predation. I.E. an barely 18 y.o. banging an almost 17 y.o. 15 years ago or a drunk guy who pees on a tree in a park.
    No Mediocrity

Banned
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power

Will rep you when I can, I agree completely.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power

Completely agree with everything said here.
    I'm sure you would agree with prisoners being incarcerated for non-violent crimes as well.
    Like possession of illegal substances when that person is in their own home, or walking down the street.
    "If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirkickyass View Post
    Good luck with that.

Anyhow, why restrict under-18 from voting? I was a taxpayer at age 14...where was my representation?
    ^^^this

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Because there is no such thing as "justice" and the judicial system is based on the idea of vengeance. Even the idea of prison is suspect. What purpose do prisons serve? It does not seem to provide for an effective deterrence, and it creates a fantastic atmosphere for nurturing violence and criminality. Is it to protect society? Okay, but that is an awfully expensive way to protect society from non-violent offenders (the majority of inmates), and it seems to have no ultimate goal at all. Rehabilitation? That's the most laughable justification as not only is it easily contradicted by real life observations, but it does not even offer a mechanism for how that's supposed to be accomplished.

To make things worse, the system is the way it is because it's a reflection of society's mentality. If someone possesses the intellectual capacity and knowledge to question the system and propose alternatives, s/he will face an uphill battle of people questioning the motives, and an endless stream of accusation of having something to hide.

Long story short, felons cannot vote because punishment requires the punisher and the punished to be unequal. What's a better way to facilitate and reinforce this mentality than stripping away their citizenship privileges?

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by bordelais7 View Post
    Good luck with that.

Anyhow, why restrict under-18 from voting? I was a taxpayer at age 14...where was my representation?
    In your mom and dads vote as you were still a minor.
    #BelieveInLindsey #BelieveInSnyder

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by franklin View Post
    drunk guy who pees on a tree in a park.

or bears ****ting in the woods
    01-21-2013
    I, HeavenHarris, hereby pledge to my fellow JFC'rs that I will no longer give out neg-reps. All it does is cause negative things, like fights, drama, bitching, ill will, bad feelings, etc.
    Love, not hate, is the answer bros and moes.

LOL Lol breaks his pledge 5 days later hahahaha

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirkickyass View Post
    Wait, congressmen and senators can't vote?

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Sirkicky is trying to bait someone into saying something racist so he can ban them.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Hack View Post
    Sirkicky is trying to bait someone into saying something racist so he can ban them.
    Agreed.
    "If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Hack View Post
    Wow, I hate white people.
    http://mysteryoftheinquity.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/goodvsevil2.jpg