Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by GVC View Post
    Statistically, the Jazz have been better with Al on the court than off. Maybe Al has a negative effect on the team when he's sitting on the bench...
    Or maybe it's because Favors has absolutely no confidence in his offensive game, or maybe it's because Millsap disappears for 19 games at a time.
    "If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

I'm jus' one dem guys...come, scrap, blue collar, junkyard dog
    Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSilencer1313 View Post
    Or maybe it's because Favors has absolutely no confidence in his offensive game, or maybe it's because Millsap disappears for 19 games at a time.
    I was being facetious.
    http://jazzfanz.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=133&dateline=1317382587

Rep Level
    Lol.
    I still believe his assists are up over these first 20 games, as opposed to last years first 20 games.
    Also, there is no stat to measure team defense.
    PER anyone?
    "If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

Rep Level
    PER anyone?
    Jesus. PER is terrible at measuring anything. It doesn't measure team defense at all (Hollinger would say as much).

You can always take a look at team stats with players on/off court (there are problems with this...the biggest being that the stat doesn't account for the players you're on/off the floor with on either team). The defense was 1.9 points per 100 possessions worse with Al on the court last season. So far this season, the defense is 4.2 points per 100 possessions worse with Al on the court.

I still believe his assists are up over these first 20 games, as opposed to last years first 20 games.
    1. You said nothing about the first 20 games last season.

2. Regardless, Al had exactly the same number of assists in his first 20 games last season as the first 20 games of this season (39). Through 20 games last season, Al averaged 33.1 minutes per game. He stands at 33.4 minutes per game so far this season.

3. Belief is a poor substitute for verifiable fact.

Rep Level
    Jesus. PER is terrible at measuring anything. It doesn't measure team defense at all (Hollinger would say as much).

You can always take a look at team stats with players on/off court (there are problems with this...the biggest being that the stat doesn't account for the players you're on/off the floor with on either team). The defense was 1.9 points per 100 possessions worse with Al on the court last season. So far this season, the defense is 4.2 points per 100 possessions worse with Al on the court.

1. You said nothing about the first 20 games last season.

2. Regardless, Al had exactly the same number of assists in his first 20 games last season as the first 20 games of this season (39). Through 20 games last season, Al averaged 33.1 minutes per game. He stands at 33.4 minutes per game so far this season.

3. Belief is a poor substitute for verifiable fact.
    I was joking about PER....
    And after everything you said, you might be correct. I don't have the time to look all this crap up, as I have have two jobs, and two kids that occupy my time.
    I watch the games, and observe. That is all.

Rep Level
    I
    Efficiency is +25.00 over the last 5 games,
    5 games?

why not all 20?

is the season 5 games young?

or should we all have short term memory loss.

that explains the first 15 games.
    and the sweep last year from jeffersons godlike idols the spurs
    01-21-2013
    I, HeavenHarris, hereby pledge to my fellow JFC'rs that I will no longer give out neg-reps. All it does is cause negative things, like fights, drama, bitching, ill will, bad feelings, etc.
    Love, not hate, is the answer bros and moes.

LOL Lol breaks his pledge 5 days later hahahaha

Rep Level
    you might be correct.
    Might? I suppose if the NBA or 82games.com falsifies their data or basketballreference ****ed up somewhere, I could be wrong. It's highly unlikely. I have a lot more faith in the data than I do your gut feeling.

I don't have the time to look all this crap up.
    Then keep your ignorance to yourself.

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by DutchJazzer View Post
    and the sweep last year from jeffersons godlike idols the spurs
    That's the one thing about Al that made me sick. His comments about the Spurs last year.

Rep Level
    I'm not defining Al's defines, considering it's about the same as it always was.
    fixed
    it is forbidden to use defense in the same sentence as that dudes name
    01-21-2013
    I, HeavenHarris, hereby pledge to my fellow JFC'rs that I will no longer give out neg-reps. All it does is cause negative things, like fights, drama, bitching, ill will, bad feelings, etc.
    Love, not hate, is the answer bros and moes.

LOL Lol breaks his pledge 5 days later hahahaha

Banned
    Rep Level
    why so dismissive about PER? it's pretty great at measuring offensive efficiency, and BIG AL is great at that.
    haters gonna hate.

Rep Level
    Then keep your ignorance to yourself.
    Last time I checked, I could flaunt my ignorance around anybody I wanted.
    Just sayin.....

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavenHarris View Post
    why so dismissive about PER? it's pretty great at measuring offensive efficiency, and BIG AL is great at that.
    haters gonna hate.
    So terribly wrong.

From Dave Berri of Wages of Wins (quoting from wikipedia...): "Hollinger argues that each two point field goal made is worth about 1.65 points. A three point field goal made is worth 2.65 points. A missed field goal, though, costs a team 0.72 points. Given these values, with a bit of math we can show that a player will break even on his two point field goal attempts if he hits on 30.4% of these shots. On three pointers the break-even point is 21.4%. If a player exceeds these thresholds, and virtually every NBA player does so with respect to two-point shots, the more he shoots the higher his value in PERs. So a player can be an inefficient scorer and simply inflate his value by taking a large number of shots"

PER is junk.

Rep Level
    Last time I checked, I could flaunt my ignorance around anybody I wanted.
    You've certainly made a habit of doing so on Jazzfanz.

Rep Level
    You've certainly made a habit of doing so on Jazzfanz.
    I know you're supposedly a sports savant, but you end up sounding like an A-typical sports writer.
    I'm just a long time Jazz fan, that watches the games, and doesn't get into the scientific (David Locke-type) analysis like you do.

Banned
    Rep Level
    So terribly wrong.

From Dave Berri of Wages of Wins (quoting from wikipedia...): "Hollinger argues that each two point field goal made is worth about 1.65 points. A three point field goal made is worth 2.65 points. A missed field goal, though, costs a team 0.72 points. Given these values, with a bit of math we can show that a player will break even on his two point field goal attempts if he hits on 30.4% of these shots. On three pointers the break-even point is 21.4%. If a player exceeds these thresholds, and virtually every NBA player does so with respect to two-point shots, the more he shoots the higher his value in PERs. So a player can be an inefficient scorer and simply inflate his value by taking a large number of shots"

PER is junk.
    No, that quote doesn't prove PER is junk at all. PER doesn't go up by just shooting more, you have to continue converting on those increased attempts. PER does reward increased volume in scoring a bit, because it IS valuable. Ever heard of usage rate? For a simple example, a guy capable of going 1/2 from the field isn't as valuable in the NBA as the guy you can give the ball to 20 times and have him make 10 shots, even though they both end up shooting 50%. Plus PER includes much more than that.