Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dog Attack

Premium Member Enes CanTear You Apart's Avatar
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    j_f, it seems it's worse than I thought before considering his age, but still I wouldn't give up early. Whatever his age be, don't think that he gave up and/or his organism doesn't try to recover. I know he might be in pain but most of the time in this kind of situations, there is this threshold they have to surpass, once he does it, he'll liven up.

Some great advice you got here, especially about supporting his morale condition. Though, thinking it'd be better him to take his pills, drink and feed a bit asap, seeking more help from vet would be my priority, I'd see a different vet too if necessary.

I hope he'll be better soon.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    my dogs are almost on the same level as any human in my family. my heart goes out to you.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    cocoa.jpgcocoa2.jpg

Thanks, everyone. I've had this dog for more than half my life, and he's always been very energetic and full of life. I feel so helpless watching him in so much pain. I did get him to drink some water mixed with his antibiotics and pain killers, but not very much. I put the liquid in a squeeze bottle and finally got him to start swallowing a little bit. I'll try to get some food in him tomorrow. There's still a little bit of blood coming from his neck and he's unable to move his head. I'll have to call the doc tomorrow...for the 50th time. I'm so depressed about this. I feel like he's my child or something!

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Whenever I've had to give my labs pills, I pry their jaws open, throw the pill as far down their throat as possible, and forcibly keep their mouth shut until they've swallowed. It has literally taken five minutes with the chocolate one. The golden one will swallow anything I throw at his mouth, so it's not an issue for that retard.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    jf, I hope your pup is doing better by now and on the path to recovery. So sorry about the trauma you're both dealing with.
    a blast from the past...
    http://www.freepennystockalerts.com/

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    I know this is going to sound crass and incredibly disgusting but have you thought about placing the pain pill in the dogs ****? And I'm serious about this...

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Scat View Post
    I know this is going to sound crass and incredibly disgusting but have you thought about placing the pain pill in the dogs ****? And I'm serious about this...
    You're right. That is incredibly disgusting.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by bigb View Post
    You're right. That is incredibly disgusting.
    Well, we know where he got his username.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Keep us updated, Ann. Hoping for a full recovery!

Banned
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by bigb View Post
    Whenever I've had to give my labs pills, I pry their jaws open, throw the pill as far down their throat as possible, and forcibly keep their mouth shut until they've swallowed. It has literally taken five minutes with the chocolate one. The golden one will swallow anything I throw at his mouth, so it's not an issue for that retard.
    This. Except in her dog's case, do it as gently as possible while, and this may be most important, massaging his throat and the underside of his jaw, which after 10 seconds or so should get him to naturally swallow. I also highly suggest what a few others said about placing the pill inside of something. For us, cheese works best. Trust me, I empathize. We had two dogs and had to put one down last winter (was blind from glaucoma for a couple of years and then got doggy Alzheimer's for which we gave him meds that caused him to be too aggressive and both dogs are already chow mixes so it was ugly) and it was the most heartbreaking experience of my life.

The only other thing I can think of is to do whatever would typically brighten his mood. Buy him a new toy. Have a certain human that he always loved or another doggy who he always was friendly with (but who wouldn't try to get him to play and hurt him) come over to visit. Put the Animal Planet on or a movie with dogs. We decided to spoil our dog one night and watched the movie Bingo which is sort of hysterical if you've never seen it.

Lastly, why is blood still coming out?

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    I dont think it was ever said in the thread, but what happened? What kind of dog attacked your dog? Was it on a leash? Was it on your property or at a dog park?

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Just a quick update:

He's getting better. I just want him to heal completely as soon as possible, but we'll have to take it one day at a time and I'm optimistic. He kept throwing up the water I was giving him that was mixed with the pain killers, so I stopped and now he's able to keep his liquids down. That photo was taken a few days ago. The wound looks much better now and the swelling has gone down. Bites on his head weren't as severe and they're closing up. Still having a hard time getting him to eat, but we're making progress.

fishonjazz: It was my fault. I left the gate open when I went to work that morning.. :/ Don't know what kind of dog it was. A couple walked by and heard the commotion and scared the other dog away. All she said was that it was bigger than my dog.

dog attack.jpg

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Thanks for the update, J_F. Glad to hear there's improvement.
    #dumptruckin

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Btw, thanks for all the love. I told him about you guys and how awesome you all are. (Even you, Troutbum...I know you're reading this) Then he closed his eyes and snored like a little baby.

Banned
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    So happy he's doing better. A Jack Russell? Also, is his chest usually that red or is it just from the swelling?