Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 54
  1. #16
    Senior Member JJAS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,010
    Rep Power
    16
    Rep Level
    1734
    Quote Originally Posted by franklin View Post
    Obviously. It has nothing to do with having the luxury of a 3nd year MVP, Luol Deng, Noah, Asik, nothing to do with that at all.
    I'm not sure what sitting Boozer and putting in Taj Gibson has to do with those players? I didn't make a point about his team just his coaching. He regularly subbed Taj for Boozer and Ronnie Brewer for whoever when he needed a stop. Maybe you could help me with your point?

  2. #17
    Senior Member dalamon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    #TheReturn
    Posts
    11,773
    Rep Power
    108
    Rep Level
    27653
    Quote Originally Posted by The Norm View Post
    Is this guy for real?
    Put it this way: is the defensive success of our bench because of Tyrone Corbin? Or is it because of the desire, and physical talent of his bench squad?

    Another postulation: Before 2008 (before KG), was Doc Rivers ever considered a great defensive coach? Or did this reputation build after acquiring key defensive players in Tony Allen, Kevin Garnett, et al?



    Truthfully told, I think Thibbz is definitely one of the best defensive coaches in the NBA. However, I certainly wouldn't put him in an echelon above Mike Brown, Monty Williams, or any other decent defensive coaches. The guy has a great unit of defensive workers to deal with, minus Booz.


    As far as your point about benching Taj for Boozer, I'd say the scenario is a bit different. Boozer isn't the main offensive weapon of the Chicago squad. Could you imagine Thibodeau benching Derrick Rose if he started dogging it defensively in the 4th? Me neither.

    Quote Originally Posted by UGLI baby View Post
    You need to watch as much of Giannis as you can. He's the next big thing, right now I'd srsly consider taking him over Wuggins and Jabari.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi View Post
    I thought Dal was black for a long time. He was one of the people I was referencing when I told colleagues I have several black friends.

    I still like him irredgardless.
    *confirmed*

    this post is brought to you by Dairy Queen-- home of the Dilly Bar

  3. #18
    Senior Member JJAS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,010
    Rep Power
    16
    Rep Level
    1734
    Quote Originally Posted by dalamon View Post
    Put it this way: is the defensive success of our bench because of Tyrone Corbin? Or is it because of the desire, and physical talent of his bench squad?

    Another postulation: Before 2008 (before KG), was Doc Rivers ever considered a great defensive coach? Or did this reputation build after acquiring key defensive players in Tony Allen, Kevin Garnett, et al?



    Truthfully told, I think Thibbz is definitely one of the best defensive coaches in the NBA. However, I certainly wouldn't put him in an echelon above Mike Brown, Monty Williams, or any other decent defensive coaches. The guy has a great unit of defensive workers to deal with, minus Booz.


    As far as your point about benching Taj for Boozer, I'd say the scenario is a bit different. Boozer isn't the main offensive weapon of the Chicago squad. Could you imagine Thibodeau benching Derrick Rose if he started dogging it defensively in the 4th? Me neither.
    I for one, readily admit that Al gave us some offense tonight, but what I'm arguing for at least is that you make situational substitutions. If you need a three at the buzzer, don't put Al, Favors, and Jeremy Evans on the floor, put good threepoint shooters. If you need to stop a team from making a point, then put your best defensive players on the court. As to Thibodeau, he had one of the top two defenses in the NBA with a starter of Carlos Boozer and a regular rotation player of Kyle Korver. That alone speaks to his defensive brilliance. He had good players yes, but he also had dump defensive players mixed in.

  4. #19
    Senior Member jope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ogden City Limits
    Posts
    1,622
    Rep Power
    25
    Rep Level
    3056
    Quote Originally Posted by JJAS View Post
    I for one, readily admit that Al gave us some offense tonight,
    shooting 38% with 0 fta as big man 1st option doesnt seem like he provided us with much offense at all, just sayin

  5. #20
    Lazy Nate505's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Lakewood, CO
    Posts
    5,300
    Rep Power
    41
    Rep Level
    7437
    I defended Ty for his subs in game one because the Jazz won big. But in this game his subbing was just dreadful. Burks is great at drawing fouls, yet he can't see the floor at all in a game where the Jazz went to the line a whopping 10 times, with 3 of those being technicals. It makes no sense.

  6. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,112
    Rep Power
    24
    Rep Level
    2425
    Mo Will averaging 16 shots a night. If Mo Will averages 16 shots a night for the next 82, we're sunk. Subs don't matter with that statistic.

  7.  

     

  8. #22
    Senior Member TheSilencer1313's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tooele, Utah
    Posts
    3,101
    Rep Power
    18
    Rep Level
    1156
    Quote Originally Posted by franklin View Post
    Obviously. Asik
    Doesn't play for coach Tibs.
    "If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

  9. #23
    Senior Member gregbroncs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Here! Wait is this a roll call?
    Posts
    3,828
    Rep Power
    28
    Rep Level
    3690
    Corbin needs to be fired. His rotations have not improved over last season and he really is a coach who seems to play lesser vets over better young guys. Favors should not have come out of the game last night near the end. As soon as Jefferson came in they went right at him and scored at will. Millsap and Jefferson on the floor together is a horrible combo. 2 offensive minded players who have no idea how to play defense. Favors needs to be and deserves to be playing 30 MPG.
    Welcome aboard Snyder, Exum and Hood. Here is to hoping this season is more entertaining than the last 3.

  10. #24
    Senior Member Cyrone Torbin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    26,034
    Rep Power
    63
    Rep Level
    12673
    Quote Originally Posted by l Abach l View Post
    I'm sorry but the dude is Jerry Sloan 2.0. I am tired of not seeing in game adjustments, not developing our young core, and playing Carroll instead of burks or giving marvin/hayward more minutes. I now accept the fact that the Jazz will be medicore, and no better. This team has the goal of making the playoffs as an 8th seed and that's it. Burks is a lotto pick and we're wasting him. I just love seeing Millsap and Jefferson getting out rebounded and no substitutions made.

    /Rantover

    So being the 2.0 version of one of the best coaches ever is a bad thing?

  11. #25
    Senior Member ClLUTClH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Going H.A.M.
    Posts
    1,092
    Rep Power
    12
    Rep Level
    1156
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrone Torbin View Post
    So being the 2.0 version of one of the best coaches ever is a bad thing?
    They're obviously talking about his substitution patterns specifically.. not other facets of the game.

  12. #26
    His Premiumness Siro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    3,503
    Rep Power
    37
    Rep Level
    6365
    Quote Originally Posted by ClLUTClH View Post
    They're obviously talking about his substitution patterns specifically.. not other facets of the game.
    Also his insane favoring of the vets and his slow response to in game tactical changes and overall strategic adjustments. And while Sloan was brilliant in many other ways (something Corbin has not shown), the NBA evolved and he remained in place. So a Sloan 2.0 would be pretty awesome. All the strengths of Sloan, with a modern NBA mentality! But what we have here is a Chinese knock off Slown Extreem for $99.

  13. #27
    Senior Member TheSilencer1313's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tooele, Utah
    Posts
    3,101
    Rep Power
    18
    Rep Level
    1156
    Quote Originally Posted by SiroMar View Post
    Also his insane favoring of the vets and his slow response to in game tactical changes and overall strategic adjustments. And while Sloan was brilliant in many other ways (something Corbin has not shown), the NBA evolved and he remained in place. So a Sloan 2.0 would be pretty awesome. All the strengths of Sloan, with a modern NBA mentality! But what we have here is a Chinese knock off Slown Extreem for $99.
    I agree.
    I wish I knew what the hell was going on here. Millsap basically played pretty bad through the first 3 quarters, yet he continued to play the end of the 4th as well.
    I thought Favors was playing great, and was the only guy playing decent defense.
    Why even have Al in the game if Mo, Foye, and Marvin were just going to huck up long range shots the whole game?
    And I'm not going to even get into Burks sitting on the bench, while Tinsley and Carroll get his minutes.
    Although Carroll always plays hard.
    "If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

  14. #28
    Senior Member Cyrone Torbin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    26,034
    Rep Power
    63
    Rep Level
    12673
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSilencer1313 View Post
    I agree.
    I wish I knew what the hell was going on here. Millsap basically played pretty bad through the first 3 quarters, yet he continued to play the end of the 4th as well.
    I thought Favors was playing great, and was the only guy playing decent defense.
    Why even have Al in the game if Mo, Foye, and Marvin were just going to huck up long range shots the whole game?
    And I'm not going to even get into Burks sitting on the bench, while Tinsley and Carroll get his minutes.
    Although Carroll always plays hard.
    And he hit the game tying 3 pointer. That is why he is in.

    The only thing I really have a problem with is the lack of defensive substitution for a final possession. Seems pretty dumb to me. The only argument I could find against it is that if Favors got a rebound, he would be fouled and probably miss FT's, but that isn't really a strong enough reason not to have him in.

  15. #29
    Senior Member carolinajazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,641
    Rep Power
    0
    Rep Level
    -413
    Quote Originally Posted by JJAS View Post
    He's a journeyman player as a coach, so he lives vicariously through his players. Tom Thibodeau has no problem sitting Boozer on his ass when he has to make a stop.
    ......thanks for the memories! Glad we ain't paying all that money to pathetic Boozer anymore! Too bad Corbin is dead from the neck up when it comes to coaching. We should have fired him and hired Stan Van Gundy! At least the press conferences would have been a riot! Like the NFL this year, there seem to be SO MANY "train wreck" teams that watching most of them will be extremely hard on the eyes!

  16. #30
    Senior Member franklin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Drinkin haterade, ridin the hate train through hateville
    Posts
    12,747
    Rep Power
    115
    Rep Level
    29603
    Quote Originally Posted by JJAS View Post
    I'm not sure what sitting Boozer and putting in Taj Gibson has to do with those players? I didn't make a point about his team just his coaching. He regularly subbed Taj for Boozer and Ronnie Brewer for whoever when he needed a stop. Maybe you could help me with your point?
    My apologies for misreading you. Apparently I read Boozer and my mind went ballistic.

    If you're talking about the last play where Hayward fell down then I agree. Regardless of the last play, if the Jazz are going to be a middle WC team then they need to control games against teams like the Hornets no matter where it is played. The final play may have been on Corbin, but the loss is definitely on the players.

    To add, one school of thought believes in keeping current players on the floor because they're aready warm and all. Play-by-play report says it was a 20 second time out. That may be why Favors wasn't put in. Besides, the focus with 7 seconds left was on perimeter players. So yeah, it's very possible Corbin put plenty of thought into this exact situation prior to the 20 live seconds he was given to make a decision.
    No Mediocrity

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •