Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by billyshelby View Post
    Congrats to Marvin for replacing Bell perfectly: 30 minutes, empty box score, and you can never figure out just why he's still out there.
    5 rebounds 2 blocks and 2 steals? 6 points on 5 shots? That is much better than anything Bell did for us last year. And I think in game 1 he tripled Bells season high.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by sgjazzfan View Post
    Which is another reason to start Favors and bring AJ or Milsap off the bench.
    My thing is this is not about who is or isn't starting (substitutions are another matter). There is no reason I can think of that Marvin or Hayward, two wings who almost always tower over their defenders, are not being sent constantly to the basket without the ball. If there was any synchronicity, we'd tell Al or Sap to be aggressively going for the shot while they know A) Hayward or Marvin are crashing while B) guys are moving on the perimeter to designated spots. That creates at least 2 passing opportunities to go along with the post offense, and then you have a huge rebounding advantage on the miss.

Instead, we leave Al and Sap hanging out to dry on the initial post entry. They pass out when they're doubled, and a wing player creates an ugly jumper, usually Mo.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    5 rebounds 2 blocks and 2 steals? 6 points on 5 shots? That is much better than anything Bell did for us last year. And I think in game 1 he tripled Bells season high.
    Yes, he's better than Bell, and I'm exaggerating to make a point. But how many guys play 30 minutes with those numbers? The last 2 games were equally inept. I'm not writing him off after 4 games, but the dude is Casper out there.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    My thing is this is not about who is or isn't starting (substitutions are another matter). There is no reason I can think of that Marvin or Hayward, two wings who almost always tower over their defenders, are not being sent constantly to the basket without the ball. If there was any synchronicity, we'd tell Al or Sap to be aggressively going for the shot while they know A) Hayward or Marvin are crashing while B) guys are moving on the perimeter to designated spots. That creates at least 2 passing opportunities to go along with the post offense, and then you have a huge rebounding advantage on the miss.

Instead, we leave Al and Sap hanging out to dry on the initial post entry. They pass out when they're doubled, and a wing player creates an ugly jumper, usually Mo.
    I just think that separating those 2 a little helps get Hayward more touches. I also think that Favors would be great as a complimentary offensive player getting offensive rebounds with the starters.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Just for the record: Mo Williams is averaging 16 shots a game. That's the highest of his career, and this is a contract year. The plus side is his shooting percentage is pretty good. The downside is he's presently shooting at career high averages. With regression to the mean, those same 16 shots will look uglier and uglier.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Yes, he's better than Bell, and I'm exaggerating to make a point. But how many guys play 30 minutes with those numbers? The last 2 games were equally inept. I'm not writing him off after 4 games, but the dude is Casper out there.
    Thats what we get with him. He is OK playing second fiddle. He is one of the least of our teams worries imo.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    I just think that separating those 2 a little helps get Hayward more touches. I also think that Favors would be great as a complimentary offensive player getting offensive rebounds with the starters.
    I don't disagree with your thinking. And the second unit needs help that either Al or Sap could provide. I just see a coherent system as being much more important than deciding which players will play YMCA ball on the 1st unit, and which players will play YMCA ball on the second.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    I don't disagree with your thinking. And the second unit needs help that either Al or Sap could provide. I just see a coherent system as being much more important than deciding which players will play YMCA ball on the 1st unit, and which players will play YMCA ball on the second.
    I agree with that. Jazz need an offense. It has progressively gotten worse since Corbin came in. Now that could be due to the players he's had to work with, but it does need to change.

Now I see what you were saying originally. The problem is they don't have AJ in the second unit. Can't replicate an offense when your offense is... pass it inside, stand around and watch Jefferson.

Incidentally, that is why Marvin is having such blah numbers imo

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Thats what we get with him. He is OK playing second fiddle. He is one of the least of our teams worries imo.
    Anybody, ANYBODY, that unproductive for 30 minutes is officially in the 'worry' category unless he's playing defense like Tony Allen which Marvin most definitely is not.

First BF League CHAMP nightmare3983's Avatar
    My happy place (the start of another NBA season)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by just because View Post
    Once again, how one sided this damn game has been. MO gets a T for that. What a crap game.
    How did Mo not deserve a T for that? Gasol got his deserved flagrant 1 and Mo got his deserved technical.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    I liked that Hayward moved well without the ball and stayed aggressive. He got a little out of control on a few drives but he'll get better at staying under control and drawing fouls.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by nightmare3983 View Post
    Sooooo, what's the over/under on Burks getting 5 minutes? I keep hoping for a change, but I'd have to go with under again.
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM View Post
    I'll go with the over ... because I am a glass half-full guy, today.
    Good call PKM.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    From Locke, trying hard to escape his shill duty: "I am having a hard time wrapping my head around who this team is. In key possessions to stop a run what do we do? Are we going to Al Jefferson left block? If so, why he is he shooting the 5th most amount of shots in a game. Do we have a go to play? Should Mo Williams be leading the team in shot attempts every night?"

That's a very tactful way of saying our offense is a mess. In another of his factoids, he pointed out that after 4 games neither Al nor Paul have led the team in points. And they're like 3 and 4 in shots. Mo has taken 16 shots a game, Foye is averaging 10. And that doesn't take into account real shots versus box score shots. This is absurd.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    And not that it would matter in Ty's offense, or that we would have resigned him, but AK is just killing in Minny. Better than any player we currently have. I will start DVR'ing some of these games to see how they're using him. But my guess is he hasn't shot one curl all season. My other guess is he's beasting cutting to the basket like Ronnie Brewer used to do when we had a multifaceted offense. And my last guess is they're posting him like we should have done the whole time he was here.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Wow, I'm ****ing shocked that Corbin doesn't know how to orchestrate an offense. Shocked.
    ___#! Rudy Fan___
    [size/HUGE] RUDY [/size]