Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Drinkin haterade, ridin the hate train through hateville
    Rep Level

What Did Corbin Do Wrong Last Night?

I didn't watch the game & don't know the score yet.

What I do know is Tyrone Corbin did something wrong and must be trying to screw this franchise. Corbin is a Trojan Horace. A Trojan Hearse. Whatever.

Please list everything Corbin did wrong last night. TIA
    No Mediocrity

Rep Level
    DIDN RaN MOAR PLAYZ FO KNATER TRADE AL FIRE CIRBIN BURKS MVP

Quote Originally Posted by UGLI baby View Post
    You need to watch as much of Giannis as you can. He's the next big thing, right now I'd srsly consider taking him over Wuggins and Jabari.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi View Post
    I thought Dal was black for a long time. He was one of the people I was referencing when I told colleagues I have several black friends.

I still like him irredgardless.
    *confirmed*

this post is brought to you by Dairy Queen-- home of the Dilly Bar

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by franklin View Post
    I didn't watch the game & don't know the score yet.

What I do know is Tyrone Corbin did something wrong and must be trying to screw this franchise. Corbin is a Trojan Horace. A Trojan Hearse. Whatever.

Please list everything Corbin did wrong last night. TIA
    Lol, you make me smile.
    #BelieveInLindsey

Rep Level
    My only beef is crunch time minutes for Randy defensive sieve Foye. But hey, we will keep seeing him unless Burks and Marvin assert themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by UGLI baby View Post
    You need to watch as much of Giannis as you can. He's the next big thing, right now I'd srsly consider taking him over Wuggins and Jabari.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi View Post
    I thought Dal was black for a long time. He was one of the people I was referencing when I told colleagues I have several black friends.

I still like him irredgardless.
    *confirmed*

this post is brought to you by Dairy Queen-- home of the Dilly Bar

Rep Level
    What he did right would be a shorter list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggs View Post
    So I was very mad about the game, but I wasn't going to vent here, because you guys all feel the same way. However, Ty's postgame interview got my blood boiling. On why he let Trey and Gordon play while having bad games, "You gotta let them battle through it because that's what you gotta do." Really are you kidding me. You have to balls to say that when you pulled Alec after 16 minutes against LAC and Kanter got 19 minutes toinght?

Drinkin haterade, ridin the hate train through hateville
    Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoked View Post
    Lol, you make me smile.
    Like a doughnut!
    No Mediocrity

Banned
    Rep Level
    My main complaint is that the Jazz are now an outside in team, Mo and Foye are leading the team in shots. The whole point of bringing in good shooters was to make out inside out game that much more effective. Also we have 3 new key players, give them some time to get stuff figured out, it takes awhile, ask the Lakers.

Rep Level
    Ty had some bizarre lineups tonight, and even though it didn't work, I kinda like him actually experimenting. One of the things he did right, was put in Mo & Gordon in the back court, Millsap at 3, Favors at 4 and Jefferson at 5. It was too late for a come-back, but that line-up is really long and can board. We came out more aggressive in the first quarter and actually played some good defense, but it was short lived and they came back. I agree that the team is shooting too many outside jumpers. We don't look patient enough to get the ball inside.

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by sojodave View Post
    Ty had some bizarre lineups tonight, and even though it didn't work, I kinda like him actually experimenting. One of the things he did right, was put in Mo & Gordon in the back court, Millsap at 3, Favors at 4 and Jefferson at 5.
    Is that really a good lineup? Maybe, but I have my doubts. Sap is not really a SF. The other thing about it is that Favors is in for his D, meaning that Sap and/or Al defense sucks, yet with this lineup Corbin keeps them both in. So you can play crappy D and get one of your teammates benched instead of you.

The obvious screwup last night was the second unit he put in. I believe it (was watching a crappy blurry TV) was Burks-Foye-Evans-Kanter_Favors. They did not have a clue of how to run the offense. Embarrassing.
    Last edited by zman1527; 11-06-2012 at 11:22 AM.

Rep Level
    Franklin, I understand what you're saying. Anti-Corbin sentiment here on Jazzfanz can be ridiculous. It's not like Corbin is telling them to chuck a clown shot in the first 4 seconds of the shot clock a third of the time. It's not like he's teaching AJ to stand there while guards score one uncontested layup after another. I'm sure he's trying his best with Burks, who despite being talented, seems to think he's all alone on the court. Not everything is Corbin's fault. But your casual dismissal of even the possibility that he's making mistakes can only mean that either coaches don't matter at all, and they're paying a guy a couple of millions a year out of charitable generosity, or you're as guilty of blind generalizations as the rest of us.

Let's look at some things that Corbin does wrong.

- His utilization of Favors. Throughout the past season, and the first 3 games of this season, Favors is forced to post up if he wants to receive the ball. The guy gets the ball, does some hilarious rigid half twists, and jumps toward the hoop trying to dunk it. He has no post game. That is not how he plays. Sure he can develop it with time, but he doesn't have it right now. So Corbin's mentality is "you do this exact same thing Jefferson does well, or you get no play time. I don't care how well you do anything else". Last night, Favors played really well, because HE DID NOT POST. Not even once. He played his natural pick and roll slashing game, and he did it well. Sure nobody passed him the ball (he wasn't posting!), but the couple of times they did, he executed. And even when he's not passed the ball, I'd rather him establish a good rebounding position than being forced to watch his awkwardness in the post. So what happened last night? Either Favors rightly ignored Corbin's instructions, or Corbin realized he's not using Favors correctly. A year and a half into his tenure. Bravo.

- Corbin is very slow to adapt to game situations. He has his plan, and he'll stick to it for too long. Last night (it was a generally good game), Corbin correctly switched to 2-3 zone after the Jazz struggled to deal with Memphis inside game using man-to-man. The adjustment worked well, and they forced Memphis to take outside shots. It wasn't his fault the players were slow to actually defend those outside shots they intended to create. But in numerous occasions, Corbin failed to react tactically to game situations. How many times have we had a quick guard burn us over and over, while Corbin stood there doing nothing? How many times did our inside-out game fizzle with Jefferson holding the ball for 15 seconds?

- Related to tactical competence, we have suffered enough with Corbin's substitution patterns. He favors the vets unjustifiably. He admits that Favors defense was needed in the past 2 games, but he gives him playtime by moving Millsap to the 3. Why? Is it really that important to have AJ and Sap for 30+ minutes every night? They're not exactly Lebron James, and we can live with them getting 12 ppg instead of the current 14. Similarly, he will tend to go with whoever is oldest to close out games. Why is Foye playing late in the 4th? He's just about the LAST player you want out there. He will try to have every shot, regardless of the situation. Yes he's older, but so ****ing what? Additionally, Corbin neither takes advantage of the hot hand or favorable match ups. He will draw the same plays whether the paint is being defended by D. Howard or Boozer. He will take out players on schedule regardless of what's happening on the floor. This has improved a lot in the second half of last season, but why should such obvious improvements take so long to achieve?

Long story short, we have a coach who doesn't know how to best utilize his own players' strengths or the opposing team's weaknesses. Corbin understands the system very well, and he has a disciplined vision of players' roles and positions on the floor. Those are perfect characteristics, for an assistant coach. But for a head coach, you need someone with guts, creativity, intelligence, and flexibility. Not just knowledge and discipline.

Rep Level
    I really didn't like the 2nd Q lineup of Favors, Kanter, Evans, Burks, Mo.

It gave up the early advantage with a group that didn't gel.

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree View Post
    I really didn't like the 2nd Q lineup of Favors, Kanter, Evans, Burks, Mo.

It gave up the early advantage with a group that didn't gel.
    The inclusion of Evans was/is strange with that group.

I am starting to think that Foye is only good for open 3's. He is proving to be terrible at everything else.
    Build a man a fire; keep him warm for a day. Light a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of this life.

Repeating the same actions and expecting different results is the definition of insanity.

Banned
    Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    The inclusion of Evans was/is strange with that group.

I am starting to think that Foye is only good for open 3's. He is proving to be terrible at everything else.
    I agree he should focus a bit more on spotting up

Banned
    Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SiroMar View Post
    Franklin, I understand what you're saying. Anti-Corbin sentiment here on Jazzfanz can be ridiculous. It's not like Corbin is telling them to chuck a clown shot in the first 4 seconds of the shot clock a third of the time. It's not like he's teaching AJ to stand there while guards score one uncontested layup after another. I'm sure he's trying his best with Burks, who despite being talented, seems to think he's all alone on the court. Not everything is Corbin's fault. But your casual dismissal of even the possibility that he's making mistakes can only mean that either coaches don't matter at all, and they're paying a guy a couple of millions a year out of charitable generosity, or you're as guilty of blind generalizations as the rest of us.
    You're right, he's not telling our players to do those things. In fact, he or Horny or someone else on the coaching staff is likely telling them the exact opposite. Yet, our players still do the same stupid **** time and time again. If the players are informed, yet do this **** anyway, Ty's not doing his job. If he's not informing the players, he's not doing his job. Either way, he's just not doing his job...not well anyway. In brief, I just don't see Ty as very effective and for that he needs to be fired.

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by zman1527 View Post
    Is that really a good lineup? Maybe, but I have my doubts. Sap is not really a SF. The other thing about it is that Favors is in for his D, meaning that Sap and/or Al defense sucks, yet with this lineup Corbin keeps them both in. So you can play crappy D and get one of your teammates benched instead of you.

The obvious screwup last night was the second unit he put in. I believe it (was watching a crappy blurry TV) was Burks-Foye-Evans-Kanter_Favors. They did not have a clue of how to run the offense. Embarrassing.
    The lineup was mo, foye, burks, evans, kanter.