Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Level
    Is Ron Paul on the ballot Utah or did you all just write him in?

And I voted for Jill Stein as well OB.

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirkickyass View Post
    Is Ron Paul on the ballot Utah or did you all just write him in?

And I voted for Jill Stein as well OB.
    Write in.

Banned
    Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by JAG View Post
    The theory of voting for whom you think best rather than just voting for the standard D or R is a great one.... except in States that can truly decide the election. I would agree that "the lesser of two evils" idea is ridiculous and not the way to choose; however, in the current political system, it is what dominates. Should it? No. Things would probably be better if more than two parties (which are both incredibly corrupt) actually had to legitimately fight to win against a 3rd party option.

That being said, this idea always brings up the 1992 election. People did not like either option from the major two parties (Bush Sr. and Clinton) so many voted for Ross Perot. Obviously Ross Perot didn't win - he didn't really even have a shot but it allowed Clinton to win because a good majority of those votes that went to Perot probably would have gone to Bush Sr. And here we are, 20 years later trying to find a way to fix what Clinton broke in his 8 years in office. That is why I personally choose to vote for a candidate from the two major political parties (at least at the national level). I know nothing will change unless people begin to do something to change it (i.e. vote for a third party) but too much is at stake to allow one of the candidates to win in the same way that Clinton won in 92.

I find it quite humorous that you think Bush Sr. would have lead us to a better outcome than Clinton. I maintain that it didn't matter who won that election. Neither person was right for the job and neither was so much worse than the other that making sure they didn't win was imperative.

Rep Level
    Voting for someone whose platform you don't fundamentally believe in is ridiculous.

I may have cast a vote for someone who has no chance to win, but I didn't contribute to the election of someone who doesn't really represent me.

BTW, I'd vote for anyone who pledged to abolish the electoral college.

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoked View Post
    Defiant to the end. Love it.
    Defiant is not the word I would have used...

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by One Brow View Post
    I voted for Stein.
    Yeah, Ben Stein could be impressive.
    "If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

Drinkin haterade, ridin the hate train through hateville
    Rep Level
    I don't get the whole "false right-left divide"/"lesser of two evils" disdain. Our system seems to do an excellent job of ending up somewhere in the middle. I like how we give credit to all sides of each argument.. all except the extreme nonsense anyway.

We're never going to overthrow the two leading parties, and shouldn't anyway. If you don't think your vote matters then vote the minority party. I'm scratching pure democrat in Utah out of principle.
    No Mediocrity

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameface View Post
    I find it quite humorous that you think Bush Sr. would have lead us to a better outcome than Clinton. I maintain that it didn't matter who won that election. Neither person was right for the job and neither was so much worse than the other that making sure they didn't win was imperative.
    I don't think I ever said Bush Sr. would have been better, just that the popularity of Perot perhaps cost him the election. I agree that neither option was desirable (hence the popularity of Perot)

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by JAG View Post
    Obviously Ross Perot didn't win - he didn't really even have a shot but it allowed Clinton to win because a good majority of those votes that went to Perot probably would have gone to Bush Sr.
    If the people voting for Perot woould have been willing to vote for HW, they would have voted for HW. Significant third parties are have always been bad sign for the incumbent since the Civil War.
    http://lifetheuniverseandonebrow.blogspot.com/

Isaiah 1:18 -- Come now, and let us reason together

Any habitual action, such as eating or dressing, may be performed on the appropriate occasion, without any need of thought, and the same seems to be true of a painfully large proportion of our talk. -- Bertrand Russell

Rep Level
    I voted for Jill Stein. First time voting third party.