Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Obama won! Woots! There are so many racists down here where I live. I felt like the only one in the entire town that was rooting for Obama. If I had a dollar for every time I heard something like "I don't want that n****r in office again", I'd be able to buy at least three or four cases of beer.

Unfortunately some of what I'm seeing in this thread and others (and I want to say that this does not apply to all posters, but a few) is a continued rejection of objective reality. A significant part of the mode of the right-wing the last four years has been to deny that Obama was a legitimately elected leader. This isn't the first time we've seen this strategy: it was also a dominant theme during the Clinton administration with impeachment proceedings, insistence that Clinton didn't "really win" the election because he didn't obtain an absolute majority in the 92 or 96 elections, and a tendency to actually shut down the federal government in an effort to push the GOP agenda on the democratic administration. The insistence that government led by the left is not legitimate government is a 20-year running problem.

We saw this throughout the campaign as well with various posters and right-wing media figures engaging in a lengthy war on facts, repeatedly balking at those who had done the best and most scientifically sound analysis of polls. Apparently the Romney campaign was so confident of victory because they had their own model called Orca (because it was bigger and more expansive than anything the Dems had access to) that was predicting Romney victory even as late as Tuesday evening. It's been an ongoing problem with respect to climate science and, to a lesser extent, evolution.

This is the period of time where it's time to acknowledge that those are not sustainable strategies moving forward and that, shocker, elections won by left-leaning politicians are just as valid as elections won by right-leaning politicians. For our part I think the left can stop engaging in out-of-hand rejection of some right ideas. I'm on record as saying that I agree with Romney's suggestion of effectively stapling green cards to all PhDs in hard sciences worldwide. To date, I've not heard a single liberal argument against this idea. Let's do it. Throw the GOP a couple easy ones, give Romney credit for suggesting it, and maybe everyone will be just plain nicer. I'm pretty sure Newt Gingrich and Neil DeGrasse Tyson could agree on the expansion of NASA going forward. There's some common ground to be mined. Let's pray to god that 2013 is better than 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by NUMBERICA View Post
    But not really new. If the GOP is sensible and decent, they'll stop going all-in on brinksmanship and the southern strategy. Because it's not going to work anymore. What a bummer that you have to have something besides white males to win an election.
    That's exactly what terrifies me. This idea that GOP figure they can just completely write off the black and even Latino vote as lost, and subsequently ignore that segment of the population. Did Romney even campaign in majority black areas?

Quote Originally Posted by Sirkickyass View Post
    This is the period of time where it's time to acknowledge that those are not sustainable strategies moving forward and that, shocker, elections won by left-leaning politicians are just as valid as elections won by right-leaning politicians. For our part I think the left can stop engaging in out-of-hand rejection of some right ideas. I'm on record as saying that I agree with Romney's suggestion of effectively stapling green cards to all PhDs in hard sciences worldwide. To date, I've not heard a single liberal argument against this idea. Let's do it. Throw the GOP a couple easy ones, give Romney credit for suggesting it, and maybe everyone will be just plain nicer. I'm pretty sure Newt Gingrich and Neil DeGrasse Tyson could agree on the expansion of NASA going forward. There's some common ground to be mined. Let's pray to god that 2013 is better than 2011.
    Yes.
    #loseeveryremaininggame

But not really new. If the GOP is sensible and decent, they'll stop going all-in on brinksmanship and the southern strategy. Because it's not going to work anymore. What a bummer that you have to have something besides white males to win an election.

Romney won 60+% of the white vote, and close to 70% of the white males, and got curb stomped in the electoral college. If that doesn't convince the GOP that it's time to broaden the base then I don't know what will.

FWIW there is a legit argument that gays and lesbians won the election for Obama. Exit polls indicate that for the question "Are you Gay, Lesbian, or Bisexual?" those who answered yes voted for Obama at a 76% rate. Those who answered no split the candidates evenly at 49% a piece. Turns out demonizing that social group for decades may have had some real consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by JimLes View Post
    That's exactly what terrifies me. This idea that GOP figure they can just completely write off the black and even Latino vote as lost, and subsequently ignore that segment of the population. Did Romney even campaign in majority black areas?
    He went to the NAACP.

Quote Originally Posted by JimLes View Post
    He did some, and it did nothing. That's a battle he couldn't really win, but latinos were fully in-play (Obama did precious little [even nothing] with immigration reform which is the banner issue). He was forced to take a lot of unsavory positions in the primary that had disaster potential if he changed (see the fallout of the 'etch-a-sketch' comment, and how that could be fully exploited), and ran on a ticket that featured a louder-than-usual pro-life (beyond reason as the electorate saw it) issue with candidates that had no tact.

This is larger than Romney. Who the GOP is targeting used to work and if it will again, it won't for long. That's a good thing. The GOP has proven resourceful enough to extend their relevance, but coming to the table hasn't been one of them. If they're smart, they'll see that going unilateral to almost every demographic in the country is not a winning strategy. For starters.
    #loseeveryremaininggame

I do fundamentally believe that while diversity (of everything, including competing philosophies) can make the path harder, it makes our collective ideas stronger. Balance should be strived for in all things.
    #loseeveryremaininggame

Care to cite a real study to support this post in the classic Beantown tradition?
    Its called life....

Gas prices have doubled in 4 years...

Healthcare costs have increased at record rates..

Obama added a record amount
    to the defecit..

Unemployment hasn't gone down...

Is anything Im saying untrue? No.

So if Obama repeats the last four years than that will be Par for the course.
    GVC'S thoughts on the Jazz drafting Hayward......

Quote Originally Posted by GVC View Post
    Why not just buy a late 1st and draft Luke Babbitt? Better Body, better basketball skills, better athleticism...

Quote Originally Posted by Beantown View Post
    Its called life....

Gas prices have doubled in 4 years...
    Compelling.

Moving on, though...
    #loseeveryremaininggame

Quote Originally Posted by Beantown View Post
    So if Obama repeats the last four years than that will be Par for the course.
    Kinda like Hayward doubled his PPG during the second season, so we should naturally expect him to double it this season too? 25PPG, give or take? Also par for the course?

He did some, and it did nothing. That's a battle he couldn't really win,.
    Well, that's true. Much like Obama couldn't really hope for any significant Mormon support. But the wooing of the Latinos was bungled from the start. As I said, it's all hubris. Assuming one can win with just the white, straight vote.

Care to cite a real study to support this post in the classic Beantown tradition?
    If he did then he wouldn't be Beantown.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirkickyass View Post
    Romney won 60+% of the white vote, and close to 70% of the white males, and got curb stomped in the electoral college. If that doesn't convince the GOP that it's time to broaden the base then I don't know what will.

FWIW there is a legit argument that gays and lesbians won the election for Obama. Exit polls indicate that for the question "Are you Gay, Lesbian, or Bisexual?" those who answered yes voted for Obama at a 76% rate. Those who answered no split the candidates evenly at 49% a piece. Turns out demonizing that social group for decades may have had some real consequences.
    Don't you think Obama's "evolving position" (conveniently reached in an election year) played a factor in that as well?
    Buckle Up Jazz

Tank Watch Bottom (or is it Top?) 5:

1. Milwaukee Bucks 15-66 L2
    2. Philadelphia 76ers 18-63 W1
    3. Orlando Magic 23-58 L3
    4. Utah Jazz 24-57 L5
    5. Boston Celtics 25-56 L1

Quote Originally Posted by Stoked View Post
    If he did then he wouldn't be Beantown.

Haha you really need a link that gas prices and healthcare costs have gone up? Do you live under a rock?
    GVC'S thoughts on the Jazz drafting Hayward......

Quote Originally Posted by GVC View Post
    Why not just buy a late 1st and draft Luke Babbitt? Better Body, better basketball skills, better athleticism...