Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirkickyass View Post
    The numbers were already very close to where they ended up prior to Sandy. I don't think there's any real evidence that Sandy produced a large bounce. In sum, Sandy probably could have lost Obama the election but it didn't win him this election.
    Agreed! Just gave Republicans another thing to gripe about: "If Romney were in office, Sandy would have never happened". And that's not a joke... well, at least in this part of the country. People out here are generally a lot more crazy than they are sensible.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by ClLUTClH View Post
    Agreed! Just gave Republicans another thing to gripe about: "If Romney were in office, Sandy would have never happened". And that's not a joke... well, at least in this part of the country. People out here are generally a lot more crazy than they are sensible.
    Who said that?

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by HipHopAnonymous View Post
    Who said that?
    Might want to get your sarcasm radar checked out, brah.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    The numbers were already very close to where they ended up prior to Sandy. I don't think there's any real evidence that Sandy produced a large bounce. In sum, Sandy probably could have lost Obama the election but it didn't win him this election.
    Well, I don't know, I think the FEMA comments were used against Romney pretty effectively. Not that I think it was deciding factor, but it didn't help him.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by HipHopAnonymous View Post
    Lets face it. Big Bird is what really swayed the vote.
    forget the black panther, Big Bird was intimidating voters in line yesterday

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Theories of why Obama got reelected are pretty interconnected but this is the gist.

1. It is very hard to unseat an incumbent. The last one to be unseated was Carter, but he had gas lines, a prolonged Iran hostage situation, and ran against Ronaldus Magnus. All Romney had was a stagnant economy and an unpopular Obamacare that hasn't been fully implemented where people could really see the consequences.

2. The Campaign: Romney only focused on one issue, the economy, and people didn't blame Obama for it and/or didn't feel it was that bad.

3. Negative campaigning works. As the Obama camp said their goal was to "kill Romney," and they were successful at this. Romney was unwilling to go after Obama on a personal basis. It was a popularity contest.
    a. Class warfare works

4. Romney was unable to get out his base. 3 million Republicans didn't bother voting. The anti-Obama sentiment wasn't strong enough and/or Romney wasn't a candidate they were willing to vote for (religion, from the Northeast, don't see him as conservative).

5. Obama is Santa Clause. Those dependent on the Government for a job, or some type of assistance outnumber those who don't.

6. Republicans didn't do enough outreach to minorities, despite having elected more Hispanics to office than the Democrats. There is too much pressure to vote as a racial block, and minorities like the government handouts that Democrats tout. Hispanics didn't like Romney's immigration stance or were offended by his "self deportation" comments.
    Democrat motto:
    Quote Originally Posted by NAOS View Post
    Why should we work?
    Pearl is right

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by PearlWatson View Post
    Theories of why Obama got reelected are pretty interconnected but this is the gist.

1. It is very hard to unseat an incumbent. The last one to be unseated was Carter, but he had gas lines, a prolonged Iran hostage situation, and ran against Ronaldus Magnus. All Romney had was a stagnant economy and an unpopular Obamacare that hasn't been fully implemented where people could really see the consequences.
    Not sure where you copied and pasted this from; but you should tell them George HW Bush was the last incumbent to be unseated - not Jimmy Carter.

There is too much pressure to vote as a racial block, and minorities like the government handouts that Democrats tout.
    Isn't it wonderful living in post-racial America?

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by candrew View Post
    Not sure where you copied and pasted this from; but you should tell them George HW Bush was the last incumbent to be unseated - not Jimmy Carter.
    That's my bad. Should be an incumbent Democrat.
    Democrat motto:
    Quote Originally Posted by NAOS View Post
    Why should we work?
    Pearl is right

First BF League CHAMP nightmare3983's Avatar
    The dark void between summer league and training camp
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by candrew View Post
    That was my first thought on reading PW's post.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Romney was unwilling to go after Obama on a personal basis.
    Neither candidate went after the other personally, both attacked the other candidates record.
    http://lifetheuniverseandonebrow.blogspot.com/

Isaiah 1:18 -- Come now, and let us reason together

Any habitual action, such as eating or dressing, may be performed on the appropriate occasion, without any need of thought, and the same seems to be true of a painfully large proportion of our talk. -- Bertrand Russell

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by One Brow View Post
    Neither candidate went after the other personally, both attacked the other candidates record.
    I think to say someone has no core beliefs is a personal attack - yeah, the left might have dressed it up a little bit (e.g. Flip Flopper, Romnesia...) but it's still a personal attack.

I also think in Romney's case it was fully warranted.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    I don't live in a swing state so I can't be sure, but this seemed like one of the more civil Presidential campaigns in a long time. At least as far as the candidates themselves were concerned.

Bush and his religious-right horde made me absolutely sick. Dirtiest, slimiest and scariest bunch of people involved in politics I've seen in my short life.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameface View Post
    Bush and his religious-right horde made me absolutely sick. Dirtiest, slimiest and scariest bunch of people involved in politics I've seen in my short life.
    That's an important distinction. This campaign was tame only in comparison.

The personal attacks on McCain in 2000 and the Swift Boating of Kerry in 2004 were about as dirty as it's ever been on a national level since the dawn of television.

My guess is between Sheldon Adelson's next 53 million and the inevitable return of Karl Rove to campaign management, 2016 is gonna be a whopper.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    The dumb facebook comments continue...

I feel so bad for our military. I can't imagine having to put your life on the line to defend a country that supports a man who doesn't even support you. I am ashamed for this country right now.
    Lakers Suck.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    5. Obama is Santa Clause. Those dependent on the Government for a job, or some type of assistance outnumber those who don't.
    If republicans really believe this, and it isn't just some lame talking point, then the republican platform of giving even more to the rich has to be on the chopping block.