Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
    Banned
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by billyshelby View Post
    For anyone with a DVR, look back at around 3:30 in the 1st. Al got the ball on the left block, and not one player rotated to his side. The spacing was absurd -- Favors literally out of bounds under the basket, Marvin and Hayward about 10 feet apart on the other side, and Tinsley not even at the center arc. The WHOLE team was on the opposite side of the court, and nobody moved.

The beauty of the play is that it went back to Al on the left block after a miss. Same exact alignment with nobody doing anything.

This happened over and over whether it was Al/Sap/Favors/Kanter. It's obvious Ty has not coached this team on what to do when the ball goes into the block.
    And you're surprised by this? Listen, anyone who's played any sort of competitive sport at a fairly higher level knows, if they're being truly objective about it, that this is happening either because Ty isn't coaching such in practice (not likely), that he is but hasn't sunk in which is even worse, or that he has but that he continues to try to remedy the situation in subsequent practices but it still doesn't get any better which is the worst of all and sadly, most likely.

Listen, it's not rocket science. The guy can't coach. Thankfully for him, we're semi-loaded in the frontcourt, and have some talented wings who will be able to win him a minimum of 38 or so games which will likely be enough to win him a new contract on what he and the organization will spin as a youthful group growing in what is a "difficult Western conference."

I'm jus' one dem guys...come, scrap, blue collar, junkyard dog
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Last thing I'll say is I dread Mo coming back. He's not a good point guard, and it's in his head to be the leading scorer. My most cynical thought is he's an older guy playing for his last big contract. Mostly I just think he won't ever play the game like Tinsley did tonight -- concentrate first on getting guys easy buckets, second on his own offense. I feel like Mo is trying to prove...this year...that he's always been great and never had the spotlight. That's rarely a good guy to have on your team.
    Yep. Sure would be nice to have a starting caliber point guard.
    http://jazzfanz.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=133&dateline=1317382587

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by GVC View Post
    Would, say, Jose Calderon be an improvement overall? IIRC, you're not a fan, but I'm curious of your thoughts.
    Quote Originally Posted by every forum dreg
    I think he can play SF

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    As Tinsley proved tonight, 'starting caliber' is less the goal than any PG with the mindset of being a Pg. Although Mo won't ever have Tinsley's vision, he could still play like a PG trying to set the team up and picking his spots. What killed me tonight was watching Tinsley consistently find bigs down low or shooters on drive and kicks. Mo so rarely does that.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Last thing I'll say is I dread Mo coming back. He's not a good point guard, and it's in his head to be the leading scorer. My most cynical thought is he's an older guy playing for his last big contract. Mostly I just think he won't ever play the game like Tinsley did tonight -- concentrate first on getting guys easy buckets, second on his own offense. I feel like Mo is trying to prove...this year...that he's always been great and never had the spotlight. That's rarely a good guy to have on your team.
    I was about to punch the screen of my computer with Tinsley in. His pace was absurdly slow, and he never pushed the ball at all. He can't score or defend. The fact that Al had a good game, was about the only reason Tinsley had as many assists as he did. Toward the end of the game, Phoenix had figured out that they don't need to guard Tinsley, so we were playing 4 on 5. I'm all for 18, 7 vs 0, 14.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Marvin Williams had a nice drive towards the end of the game. I hope he never does it again. And we need to stop posting him immediately because he can't do it. He's got no handle, he can't post, and he should concentrate on his spot up shooting.
    Sorry, but I think you're wrong here. One of the best things Marvin does well is post up smaller SF's, even though he usually passes back out of that particular post up.
    At the same time, he hardly ever turns the ball over on those possessions, and helps give the opposing defense a different look to handle.
    Al, and Marvin are probably the two best post players in the starting line up.
    "If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Also, there are very few good true PGs in the league anymore.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by JJAS View Post
    I was about to punch the screen of my computer with Tinsley in. His pace was absurdly slow, and he never pushed the ball at all. He can't score or defend. The fact that Al had a good game, was about the only reason Tinsley had as many assists as he did. Toward the end of the game, Phoenix had figured out that they don't need to guard Tinsley, so we were playing 4 on 5. I'm all for 18, 7 vs 0, 14.
    You're missing everything. The half court offense ran much better with Tinsley. Don't confuse speed with efficiency. Mo plays fast...badly. Tinsley plays slow...effectively.

My only gripe was the second half. In the first half, we played through the low block and created our opportunities that way. In the second, we reverted to our crap offense where we tried to let Hayward/Marvin/Foye do too much.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Also, there are very few good true PGs in the league anymore.
    Makes no sense. All the Jazz need to find is a young Andre Miller (or a young Tinsley...or, if they're super lucky, a young Gary Payton), but there just don't seem to be many (any?) out there.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    The fact that Al had a good game, was about the only reason Tinsley had as many assists as he did.
    You must be joking here.....
    I would attribute Al's great game with how Tinsley was finding him, Millsap, Hayward, Favors, and Kanter.
    Now I'm sure Al will continue to have games like this this year, but it was this game that got Al his confidence back. Jamaal had a lot to do with this.
    "If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    The league as a whole has moved away from the "true" point guard. Most of the PG out there are shoot first type players. Just look at the assist #'s. Right now 6 assists a night is a good mark for a lot of the Point guards out side of Rondo. I remember when Stock was playing there always 3-4 guys avg over 10 APG.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    You're missing everything. The half court offense ran much better with Tinsley. Don't confuse speed with efficiency. Mo plays fast...badly. Tinsley plays slow...effectively.

My only gripe was the second half. In the first half, we played through the low block and created our opportunities that way. In the second, we reverted to our crap offense where we tried to let Hayward/Marvin/Foye do too much.
    This.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSilencer1313 View Post
    Sorry, but I think you're wrong here. One of the best things Marvin does well is post up smaller SF's, even though he usually passes back out of that particular post up.
    At the same time, he hardly ever turns the ball over on those possessions, and helps give the opposing defense a different look to handle.
    Al, and Marvin are probably the two best post players in the starting line up.
    Marvin is a terrible, terrible post player. His ONE move is the fadeaway. And that's probably the worst shot in basketball. He has never once posted and gone TOWARD the basket. If you can't go toward the basket on a post, you should NEVER post.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by NUMBERICA View Post
    Would, say, Jose Calderon be an improvement overall? IIRC, you're not a fan, but I'm curious of your thoughts.
    ew. No. Watch him play. Terrible on the break. Pounds the ball until late in the shot clock. Sieve defensively. Yuck.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    ew. No. Watch him play. Terrible on the break. Pounds the ball until late in the shot clock. Sieve defensively. Yuck.
    your going to get to watch him play. Hopefully all these things are true on Monday.