Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power

Could ex-Jazzers beat our current team?

Could ex-Jazzers beat our current team? And what does that say about management?

Picture this starting lineup:

DWill, Matthews, AK, Boozer, Koufos

Maynor, RB, Korver, CJ, KHump as reserves

RPrice, Fes

Revise this a little to what we could have had: Keep Millsap after trading Boozer, trading CJ or RB (probably CJ), drafting or signing a defensive Center, PG (releasing RPrice), and another 3-point shooter -- and we have a team that could be contending rather than what we do have.

This might be more in the realm of fantasy because salary implications are not figured in. But it kind of shows how things became screwed up when we let Matthews walk, leading to DWill disenchantment, Jerry being P-O'd -- both of those are facts -- and the tensions increasing between Jerry and DWill, and the team falling apart and needing to rebuild on the fly with a new coach. I believe it all started with letting Matthews walk. I wonder how things might've been different if Larry had been alive to make the decision whether or not to pay Matthews.

This whole scenario has really eroded my interest in the Jazz because I was strongly against the move to let Matthews walk, against letting Maynor go, wanted to trade Boozer and promote Millsap early on -- maybe getting a new coach but not the second coming of Jerry. Imagine if we got D'Antoni and how that would've made DWill even better, because D'Antoni would've reinforced DWill's skills, allowed for a more freelance style that would've been good for AK, and provided us with a very exciting team. It's all pure fantasy now. I wonder though how it would've been if Larry had still been with us.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Huh? Didnt we pretty much have that lineup and didnt win it all? I like the way our future can look if we make a few more SMART choices. No thanks on the road we traveled already.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpjazz View Post
    Huh? Didnt we pretty much have that lineup and didnt win it all?
    Yes, but OP question was are we any better then that? Potential looks nice, but former Jazzmen would crush current team in playoffs series 4-0 or 4-1 at best.
    "The Jazz treat defence like most 2-year-olds treat nap time, which is to say they would rather it not exist" - Toronto Sun after Jazz lost to Raptors 104-123.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Yes, but teams get better by playing together for a stretch of time -- like the Spurs. You just add complementary pieces. If we had traded Boozer and slid Millsap in his place and made some shrewd complementary moves, we would've had a better team than the one that went to Conference finals.

I'm jus' one dem guys...come, scrap, blue collar, junkyard dog
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    That team's locked into mediocrity far more than the current Jazz team. Whether they'd beat the current Jazz roster is irrelevant.
    http://jazzfanz.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=133&dateline=1317382587

I'm jus' one dem guys...come, scrap, blue collar, junkyard dog
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Eenie-Meenie View Post
    Yes, but teams get better by playing together for a stretch of time -- like the Spurs.
    Prime Duncan-Manu-Parker(-Robinson) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> DWill-Boozer-AK.
    http://jazzfanz.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=133&dateline=1317382587

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Huh? Didnt we pretty much have that lineup and didnt win it all? I like the way our future can look if we make a few more SMART choices. No thanks on the road we traveled already.
    This

I will take our current roster with all of the excitement, hope, anticipation and potential that they bring...... now if they could just get lots of playing time.

I was at the game last night and saw a lineup with hayward, burks, kanter, and favors all on the court at the same time, and i was so excited and happy in that moment. I think it was the first time they were all the court together (at least that i can remember)

If we ever get to a point when all 4 of them plus a good young point guard are all starting together (maybe next year) then i dont think anything in the last 15 years of my jazz fandom could top that.

i liked memo, dwill, AK, and boozer core quite a bit.... but compared to my excitement for our young core it is not even close.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by GVC View Post
    That team's locked into mediocrity far more than the current Jazz team. Whether they'd beat the current Jazz roster is irrelevant.
    Exactly this...who cares if they could beat the current team? Could that team win it all? NO, I want a GOD DAMN ring someday...potential is better than knowing you wont win one..

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Exactly this...who cares if they could beat the current team? Could that team win it all? NO, I want a GOD DAMN ring someday...potential is better than knowing you wont win one..
    Yup.
    I've never stalked anyone in my life, including any of my girl friends.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    And what the **** is a "Jazzer" anyway?
    I've never stalked anyone in my life, including any of my girl friends.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by NUMBERICA View Post
    And what the **** is a "Jazzer" anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by fallenchicken View Post
    The sad thing is: the Jazz are playing guys who might not make the team, and certainly won't make the rotation, and they're killing real Lakers players. This is a disaster for LA.

I love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi View Post
    I thought Dal was black for a long time. He was one of the people I was referencing when I told colleagues I have several black friends.

I still like him irredgardless.
    *confirmed*

this post is brought to you by Dairy Queen-- home of the Dilly Bar

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    doesn't matter who they're playing. is it a home game?

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by dalamon View Post
    Is he playing the point?

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by AKMVP View Post
    Yes, but OP question was are we any better then that? Potential looks nice, but former Jazzmen would crush current team in playoffs series 4-0 or 4-1 at best.
    The former are finished product that when on this team where going nowhere beyond the second round, and a 5th seed in the playoffs.

This team is still very young and raw, and should be getting another pick from the D-Will trade, also we should have money to spend. I don't think Sap and Al will be here beyond this year. Lindsey and KOC are not done building this team. Think back to Derons rookie year. Deron had a hard time getting minutes at times, Boozer and Memo were still young and inexperienced. That team just missed the playoffs. That team grew into a team that always seemed to grab the 5th seed and would get to the second round. It's yet to be seen what this team will become.

As far as those players being better, sure, but only because of Deron, and he wasn't going to stay with the Jazz anyway.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    .....I think Stockton and Malone and ........3 Walmart "greeters" could beat this Jazz team!