Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 113

Thread: Secession

  1. #46
    Moderator Stoked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southern Utah
    Posts
    20,366
    Rep Power
    91
    Rep Level
    23229
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
    Are they really far beyond Iran in terms of infrastructure? My understanding is Iran is actually a pretty advanced place, just ran by nutjobs. Very similar to what Texas would be.

    You could expect Texas to get slapped with sanctions too. You can't slap the USA in the face and not get slapped back. If they seceded, the federal government would do everything they could to mage out a tough go for them.

    Just look at Cuba, and they weren't even a state.
    America might but that does not mean places like Europe, Mexico, Africa and Asian would make it tough on them. I think Texas would actually have a population boom.

    Your claim that they are nutjobs is pretty shallow and should be beneath you. Your political hack is showing.
    #BelieveInLindsey

  2. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,831
    Rep Power
    0
    Rep Level
    1026
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoked View Post
    America might but that does not mean places like Europe, Mexico, Africa and Asian would make it tough on them. I think Texas would actually have a population boom.

    Your claim that they are nutjobs is pretty shallow and should be beneath you. Your political hack is showing.
    No, you're just entering your bubble again. If Texas seceded from the union, I don't think it would be debatable, they would be considered nutjobs.

    Also, none of those USA allies would do business with Texas if the USA stressed the point. And if enemies of the USA started doing business with them, then there would be a military blockade preventing it.

    There might even be some concerns of weapons of mass destruction, genocide, or some other reason to invade.

    Again, this has already happened with Cuba. And they weren't even a state, plus were backed by the Soviet Union.

  3. #48
    Moderator Stoked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southern Utah
    Posts
    20,366
    Rep Power
    91
    Rep Level
    23229
    Texas leads the nation in crude oil production, can process 4.8 million barrells of crude per day, has coastal waters for fishing, Texas has the most farms and highest acreage in the US, most of Texas is on its own pwer grid and it produces the most wind power in the nation.

    Seems like they would be off to a damn good start. Also conservatives (and one can assume that would be the leading Texas ideology) generally tries to get heavy corporate involvement. So I would assume much more favorable rates for coorporations.

    I'd expect economic and population booms.
    #BelieveInLindsey

  4. #49
    Moderator Stoked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southern Utah
    Posts
    20,366
    Rep Power
    91
    Rep Level
    23229
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
    No, you're just entering your bubble again. If Texas seceded from the union, I don't think it would be debatable, they would be considered nutjobs.

    Also, none of those USA allies would do business with Texas if the USA stressed the point. And if enemies of the USA started doing business with them, then there would be a military blockade preventing it.

    There might even be some concerns of weapons of mass destruction, genocide, or some other reason to invade.

    Again, this has already happened with Cuba. And they weren't even a state, plus were backed by the Soviet Union.
    I disagree. There would not be genocide or similar concerns. The fact that you are going there pretty much ends this "debate".
    #BelieveInLindsey

  5. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,831
    Rep Power
    0
    Rep Level
    1026
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoked View Post
    Texas leads the nation in crude oil production, can process 4.8 million barrells of crude per day, has coastal waters for fishing, Texas has the most farms and highest acreage in the US, most of Texas is on its own pwer grid and it produces the most wind power in the nation.

    Seems like they would be off to a damn good start. Also conservatives (and one can assume that would be the leading Texas ideology) generally tries to get heavy corporate involvement. So I would assume much more favorable rates for coorporations.

    I'd expect economic and population booms.
    Most of that would be moot if the USA closed off all the borders, and cut off all commerce with Texas.

    Almost everything you just said can also be said about Iran.

  6. #51
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    3,240
    Rep Power
    0
    Rep Level
    3775
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoked View Post
    Texas leads the nation in crude oil production, can process 4.8 million barrells of crude per day, has coastal waters for fishing, Texas has the most farms and highest acreage in the US, most of Texas is on its own pwer grid and it produces the most wind power in the nation.

    Seems like they would be off to a damn good start. Also conservatives (and one can assume that would be the leading Texas ideology) generally tries to get heavy corporate involvement. So I would assume much more favorable rates for coorporations.

    I'd expect economic and population booms.
    Its so hot there though

  7. #52
    Senior Member TheSilencer1313's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tooele, Utah
    Posts
    3,101
    Rep Power
    18
    Rep Level
    1156
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
    Most of that would be moot if the USA closed off all the borders, and cut off all commerce with Texas.

    Almost everything you just said can also be said about Iran.
    Oh please.... do you actually think other states would not come to the aid of Texas in this circumstance? You're talking about this foreign policy as if it were to apply to a total foreign country. In theory yes, it would be considered a foreign country, but at the same time you're entering a grey area where the federal government would almost universally hated for the way they would be handling the situation.

    An Iran comparison is just completely off.
    "If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

  8. #53
    world's worst Bronco70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    In the backseat
    Posts
    4,428
    Rep Power
    48
    Rep Level
    9816
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSilencer1313 View Post
    You actually think that phone companies, internet companies, and other companies would just stop selling their services to the biggest state in the union?
    Are you talking geographically, or by population?

    Seriously though... Texas secession has been on and off the table for decades, just like dividing California. I don't see this happening. A knee jerk reaction to a political loss. As far as the blue states on the list, most of them have more than a handful of red counties. You can find more than 25K Obamahaters in any state. Conservative america will get over it, and move on.

  9. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,831
    Rep Power
    0
    Rep Level
    1026
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSilencer1313 View Post
    Oh please.... do you actually think other states would not come to the aid of Texas in this circumstance? You're talking about this foreign policy as if it were to apply to a total foreign country. In theory yes, it would be considered a foreign country, but at the same time you're entering a grey area where the federal government would almost universally hated for the way they would be handling the situation.

    An Iran comparison is just completely off.
    This exact same thing happened with Cuba. And they weren't even a state.

    Yes, I think the rest of the states would follow the rules and laws of the federal government. And I think there would even be some animosity towards Texas for leaving.

  10. #55
    Senior Member TheSilencer1313's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tooele, Utah
    Posts
    3,101
    Rep Power
    18
    Rep Level
    1156
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
    This exact same thing happened with Cuba. And they weren't even a state.
    We're talking about a state here that is apart of the same land mass we live in, and we all know things like that ALWAYS hit closer to home with Americans.

    Quote Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
    Yes, I think the rest of the states would follow the rules and laws of the federal government. And I think there would even be some animosity towards Texas for leaving.
    I would expect some (mostly liberal) states to follow the rules of the government, mostly because the federal government would sweeten the pot of staying in the union with bribes.
    I would expect extremely conservative states to applaud Texas for seceding, considering our horrible leadership, non-stop war, continuingly worsening economy, and ever rising inflation due to a devaluating dollar.
    "If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

  11. #56
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,831
    Rep Power
    0
    Rep Level
    1026
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSilencer1313 View Post
    We're talking about a state here that is apart of the same land mass we live in, and we all know things like that ALWAYS hit closer to home with Americans.



    I would expect some (mostly liberal) states to follow the rules of the government, mostly because the federal government would sweeten the pot of staying in the union with bribes.
    I would expect extremely conservative states to applaud Texas for seceding, considering our horrible leadership, non-stop war, continuingly worsening economy, and ever rising inflation due to a devaluating dollar.
    Every state, liberal or conservative, would follow the rules of the federal government. No state is going to leave the union just to support Texas. Especially if the USA (and the rest of the world) have isolated Texas.

    If you can't see this, then you're an even bigger wacko than I thought. Especially considering this already happened with Cuba. And Cuba wasn't even a state, plus had another superpower backing them.

    Puerto Rico (who isn't even a state) could have easily still supported Cuba, but they never even considered it.

    And this new Texas dollar would be worth dirt. Nobody would be doing international business using Texas dollars.

    Your notion that any state would actually choose Texas over the USA is laughable.

    I'm quite certain the only reason this secession is getting any traction at all its because most people don't expect anything to come of it.

    If people thought their signature would actually result in a secession, most if them wouldn't have even signed.

    Just more nutjobs having a tantrum.

  12. #57
    Senior Member The Thriller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    On the Booz Cruise
    Posts
    9,435
    Rep Power
    45
    Rep Level
    8655
    Can't fix stupid

    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...190210006.html

    In the wake of last week's presidential election, thousands of Americans have signed petitions seeking permission for their states to peacefully secede from the United States. The petitions were filed on We the People, a government website.
    States with citizens filing include Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas. Oddly, folks from Georgia have filed twice. Even stranger, several of the petitions come from states that went for President Barack Obama.
    I say, get the hell out. If you folks want to leave, then please, leave. Pay for your own damn welfare checks, SS, hurricane/tornado cleanup, etc. Most of those states are complete dumpholes and huge liabilities to our country anyway. Arkansas? Mississippi? Missouri? What dumps. Can anything good come from Arkansas?

    Get the hell out
    Corbin sucks.

  13. #58
    Senior Member The Thriller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    On the Booz Cruise
    Posts
    9,435
    Rep Power
    45
    Rep Level
    8655
    I love it how repubs instead of looking to fix their party are wasting time on this. Or, you know, focusing their time and energy on issues that seemed so important just a few weeks ago (debt and jobs). Now all of a sudden we have to waste time on this nonsense.

    Can't wait until 2016. Another ass whoopin unless the old white dude party changes.

    Get with the program. Unite with this President and help our country to progress or move to political irrelevance.
    Corbin sucks.

  14.  

     

  15. #59
    Moderator Revolution 9's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Posts
    7,881
    Rep Power
    54
    Rep Level
    11196
    Quote Originally Posted by JazzSpazz View Post
    No, that is just stupid.

    Obama won the presidency, now lets unite behind him to make this the best country we can.

    Internal divisions will only hurt ourselves.

    I hope you mean that. Obama isn't cause or the beginning of our troubles. It goes much deeper than that. I think you get that.

    Kudos for your statement above. You are a cut above the rest.
    "Hayward can be a #1?"......"Maybe if he goes down to Fort Wayne...DLeague" -ESPN

  16. #60
    Senior Member The Thriller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    On the Booz Cruise
    Posts
    9,435
    Rep Power
    45
    Rep Level
    8655
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoked View Post
    America might but that does not mean places like Europe, Mexico, Africa and Asian would make it tough on them. I think Texas would actually have a population boom.

    Your claim that they are nutjobs is pretty shallow and should be beneath you. Your political hack is showing.
    Who the hell are you calling a political hack?

    Didn't you lose to someone on a bet about the Presidential Election?

    Didn't you predict that said that Mitty would win Wisc, Michigan, Florida, Virginia, and Colorado?

    The same person who predicted a Mitty win is now calling Salty a political hack?

    Wow... Just... Wow.

    You truly cannot fix stupid. Continue to try spew your worthless opinion. The blind leading the blind. How many more times do you need to be wrong?
    Corbin sucks.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •