Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 113

Thread: Secession

  1. #61
    Moderator Stoked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southern Utah
    Posts
    21,669
    Total Rep Points
    27791
    Rep Adjustment Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by Revolution 9 View Post
    I hope you mean that. Obama isn't cause or the beginning of our troubles. It goes much deeper than that. I think you get that.

    Kudos for your statement above. You are a cut above the rest.
    I agree.

    Also, again, I am against seccession by any state.
    #BelieveInLindsey #BelieveInSnyder

    I Got a feeling that tonight's gonna be a good night; that tonight's gonna be a good night;
    that tonight's gonna be a good good night; wooh hoo (x4) - For Cy

  2. #62
    Senior Member candrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,957
    Total Rep Points
    7559
    Rep Adjustment Power
    42
    In the next 10-15 years I can defintinely see a seccession movement gain steam in Texas. There has been one for years but it's mostly made up of right wing kooks.

    Texas has it's only culture. It was a Republic for 10 years - more than any other state. I can tell you Texans are very proud of that fact.

    They teach Texas History in the schools separate from US History. For a red state they're fairly self sufficient.

    And while not directly related, Texas happens to be the only state in the country that has it's own electrical grid - which would make seccession from the rest of the union more seamless.

  3. #63
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,831
    Total Rep Points
    1092
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by candrew View Post
    In the next 10-15 years I can defintinely see a seccession movement gain steam in Texas. There has been one for years but it's mostly made up of right wing kooks.

    Texas has it's only culture. It was a Republic for 10 years - more than any other state. I can tell you Texans are very proud of that fact.

    They teach Texas History in the schools separate from US History. For a red state they're fairly self sufficient.

    And while not directly related, Texas happens to be the only state in the country that has it's own electrical grid - which would make seccession from the rest of the union more seamless.
    They better hurry up. That state gets bluer and bluer every day.

  4. #64
    Moderator Stoked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southern Utah
    Posts
    21,669
    Total Rep Points
    27791
    Rep Adjustment Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by candrew View Post
    In the next 10-15 years I can defintinely see a seccession movement gain steam in Texas. There has been one for years but it's mostly made up of right wing kooks.

    Texas has it's only culture. It was a Republic for 10 years - more than any other state. I can tell you Texans are very proud of that fact.

    They teach Texas History in the schools separate from US History. For a red state they're fairly self sufficient.

    And while not directly related, Texas happens to be the only state in the country that has it's own electrical grid - which would make seccession from the rest of the union more seamless.
    I agree.

    1. Own power grid (mostly)
    2, Leads nation in wind power
    3. Leads nation in crude oil production (can refine 4.8 million barrels a day)
    4. Coastal waters (fishing, commerce, tourism) and a boarder with a non American country (Mexico)
    5. Leads nation in # of farms and acreage
    6. Leads nation in cattle (milk, beef & leather)
    7. High end medical tech (Texas Medical Center performs the most heart transplants in the world)
    8. Longest railroads and highways (length) in the nation
    9. Major sea ports (Houston is #1 in foreign tonnage per year)

    I think of all the states Texas would have by far the easiest road if it choose secession. As I said earlier I would expect a population and economic boom. That would lead to its own problems.
    #BelieveInLindsey #BelieveInSnyder

    I Got a feeling that tonight's gonna be a good night; that tonight's gonna be a good night;
    that tonight's gonna be a good good night; wooh hoo (x4) - For Cy

  5. #65
    Senior Member Scat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,421
    Total Rep Points
    6099
    Rep Adjustment Power
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
    No, you're just entering your bubble again. If Texas seceded from the union, I don't think it would be debatable, they would be considered nutjobs.

    Also, none of those USA allies would do business with Texas if the USA stressed the point. And if enemies of the USA started doing business with them, then there would be a military blockade preventing it.

    There might even be some concerns of weapons of mass destruction, genocide, or some other reason to invade.

    Again, this has already happened with Cuba. And they weren't even a state, plus were backed by the Soviet Union.
    And there's the major reason that the US has put an embargo on Cuba.

    I also suspect that an independent Texas would have a relationship with the U.S. much like the U.S. has with England. There were some rough stretches but once England realized that the U.S. was here to stay they became our best buddies.

  6.  

     

  7. #66
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,831
    Total Rep Points
    1092
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoked View Post
    I agree.

    1. Own power grid (mostly)
    2, Leads nation in wind power
    3. Leads nation in crude oil production (can refine 4.8 million barrels a day)
    4. Coastal waters (fishing, commerce, tourism) and a boarder with a non American country (Mexico)
    5. Leads nation in # of farms and acreage
    6. Leads nation in cattle (milk, beef & leather)
    7. High end medical tech (Texas Medical Center performs the most heart transplants in the world)
    8. Longest railroads and highways (length) in the nation
    9. Major sea ports (Houston is #1 in foreign tonnage per year)

    I think of all the states Texas would have by far the easiest road if it choose secession. As I said earlier I would expect a population and economic boom. That would lead to its own problems.
    So you make this argument (totally false, btw) that Texas would be better off if they actually did secede, and in other posts you say you're against it.

  8. #67
    Moderator Stoked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southern Utah
    Posts
    21,669
    Total Rep Points
    27791
    Rep Adjustment Power
    100
    http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...ion-petitions/

    Three states have over 25,000 signatures so far. Texas (82,000+), Louisiana and Florida.
    #BelieveInLindsey #BelieveInSnyder

    I Got a feeling that tonight's gonna be a good night; that tonight's gonna be a good night;
    that tonight's gonna be a good good night; wooh hoo (x4) - For Cy

  9. #68
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,831
    Total Rep Points
    1092
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Scat View Post
    And there's the major reason that the US has put an embargo on Cuba.

    I also suspect that an independent Texas would have a relationship with the U.S. much like the U.S. has with England. There were some rough stretches but once England realized that the U.S. was here to stay they became our best buddies.
    The embargo on Cuba would be nothing compared to the one on Texas if Texas actually did secede.

    I'm sure the US could demonize something Texas did enough to justify the embargo.

    Make no mistake though, if Texas did leave it would certainly not be on good terms.

  10. #69
    Moderator Stoked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southern Utah
    Posts
    21,669
    Total Rep Points
    27791
    Rep Adjustment Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
    So you make this argument (totally false, btw) that Texas would be better off if they actually did secede, and in other posts you say you're against it.
    ********! You have understood nothing I have said. I refuse to think that you are this dim. Therefore I have to conclude that you are either trolling or intentionally misrepresenting what I have said.

    I dare you to show me one place where I ever said Texas would be better off. One.

    Edit: Also show me one thing on my list that is false. One.
    #BelieveInLindsey #BelieveInSnyder

    I Got a feeling that tonight's gonna be a good night; that tonight's gonna be a good night;
    that tonight's gonna be a good good night; wooh hoo (x4) - For Cy

  11. #70
    Senior Member Scat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,421
    Total Rep Points
    6099
    Rep Adjustment Power
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoked View Post
    ********! You have understood nothing I have said. I refuse to think that you are this dim. Therefore I have to conclude that you are either trolling or intentionally misrepresenting what I have said.
    Clearly.

  12. #71
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,831
    Total Rep Points
    1092
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoked View Post
    ********! You have understood nothing I have said. I refuse to think that you are this dim. Therefore I have to conclude that you are either trolling or intentionally misrepresenting what I have said.

    I dare you to show me one place where I ever said Texas would be better off. One.

    Edit: Also show me one thing on my list that is false. One.
    Pretty much everything on your list would be false after the USA cut off all commerce with Texas.

    You think Texas would have the most farm acreage if they left the union and were cut off from commerce with us?

    Farmers in Texas would be going bankrupt while new farms popped up all over the rural USA.

    You think Houston would have the #1 foreign tonnage port if they weren't allowed to use USA highways or cross USA borders? The traffic there would drastically decrease, while it increased in other coastal ports.

    You think Texas would lead in oil production and wind power if they left and were cut off from the rest of the nation? More like oil production in every other state would increase, and decline in Texas.

    Your list fails to take into account that Texas did what they do because the rest of the USA is the customer buying it all. And it's not like the rest of the USA can't possibly get it anywhere else, it's just that Texas is more convenient because they already have everything in place.

    However, if the USA embargoes Texas like we did Cuba, then it doesn't matter what Texas has, there will be no buyers or sellers doing business with them. They'll basically be Iran.

    And if this weren't true, then those nutjobs would have already seceded many years ago.

  13. #72
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,831
    Total Rep Points
    1092
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoked View Post
    http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...ion-petitions/

    Three states have over 25,000 signatures so far. Texas (82,000+), Louisiana and Florida.
    All states with a bunch of old red necks. Nothing surprising.

    Lots of old people die every day, and lots of young people turn 18 every day. These nutjobs are a dying breed.

    I still think even a lot of the truly crazy nutjobs who never get out of the right wing bubble would not sign the petition if they thought for a second it would actually happen.

    At least we can throw out all that patriotic nonsense these clowns always claim. Chant "USA, USA" one day, vote for secession the next.

  14. #73
    Moderator Stoked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southern Utah
    Posts
    21,669
    Total Rep Points
    27791
    Rep Adjustment Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
    Pretty much everything on your list would be false after the USA cut off all commerce with Texas.

    You think Texas would have the most farm acreage if they left the union and were cut off from commerce with us?

    Farmers in Texas would be going bankrupt while new farms popped up all over the rural USA.

    You think Houston would have the #1 foreign tonnage port if they weren't allowed to use USA highways or cross USA borders? The traffic there would drastically decrease, while it increased in other coastal ports.

    You think Texas would lead in oil production and wind power if they left and were cut off from the rest of the nation? More like oil production in every other state would increase, and decline in Texas.

    Your list fails to take into account that Texas did what they do because the rest of the USA is the customer buying it all. And it's not like the rest of the USA can't possibly get it anywhere else, it's just that Texas is more convenient because they already have everything in place.

    However, if the USA embargoes Texas like we did Cuba, then it doesn't matter what Texas has, there will be no buyers or sellers doing business with them. They'll basically be Iran.

    And if this weren't true, then those nutjobs would have already seceded many years ago.
    So basically you cannot show me where I said Texas would be better off becasue I didnt. Good to know.
    #BelieveInLindsey #BelieveInSnyder

    I Got a feeling that tonight's gonna be a good night; that tonight's gonna be a good night;
    that tonight's gonna be a good good night; wooh hoo (x4) - For Cy

  15. #74
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,831
    Total Rep Points
    1092
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoked View Post
    So basically you cannot show me where I said Texas would be better off becasue I didnt. Good to know.
    You listed about 10 reasons why they would be able to pull it off (in your opinion), and also said they would have the easiest time doing it out of all the states. You didn't list 1 reason why they shouldn't.

    Sorry, I'm not a mind reader, I don't see how this is not the same thing as saying they'd be better off.

  16. #75
    Senior Member The Thriller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    On the Booz Cruise
    Posts
    9,689
    Total Rep Points
    9446
    Rep Adjustment Power
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoked View Post
    So basically you cannot show me where I said Texas would be better off becasue I didnt. Good to know.
    You're grasping at straws at an argument that you have been beaten down at. Give up already.
    Lakers Suck.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •