Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power

Super PAC loophole (Colbert)

Hey Guys,

I haven't posted that much in the past few months, but I do know there are a couple of posters on this board that know a bit about laws, taxes, and such. Stephen Colbert had a bit on his show where he exposed a loophole involving the Super PAC financials. He claims that the money raised for the Super PAC can more or less disappear, and even avoid the IRS. I found it interesting, but I am somewhat skeptical (it is comedy central after all).

I'm just curious to see what everyone thinks about it.

(I attempted to embed the clip, but it failed spectacularly)

Here is the link...

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-col...-trevor-potter

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    It is indeed Comedy Central, but I find that information quite easy to believe, and I think it is true. The whole point of that series has been to show how incredibly silly and lax our current campaign finanace laws are.
    http://lifetheuniverseandonebrow.blogspot.com/

Isaiah 1:18 -- Come now, and let us reason together

Any habitual action, such as eating or dressing, may be performed on the appropriate occasion, without any need of thought, and the same seems to be true of a painfully large proportion of our talk. -- Bertrand Russell

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Unfortunately, we cannot get rid of these tax loopholes because many in Congress have sworn oaths to never ever ever ever raise taxes. They consider closing tax loopholes to be a form of raising taxes.

Sad day in American indeed...
    Lakers Suck.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Pac12
    #lol

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by UGLI baby View Post
    Pac12
    go jazz!!!

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by One Brow View Post
    It is indeed Comedy Central, but I find that information quite easy to believe, and I think it is true. The whole point of that series has been to show how incredibly silly and lax our current campaign finanace laws are.
    Yes, from everything I've read, Colbert's Super PAC sequence has been 100% accurate. This episode include. It's shameful, and good for Colbert for shining some light on the situation.
    "Giving to the poor is an essential part of Christian morality. I do not believe one can settle how much we ought to give. Im afraid the only safe rule is to give more than we can spare... If our charities do not at all pinch or hamper us, I should say they are too small. There ought to be things that wed like to do but cannot do because our charitable expenditure excludes them." --C.S. Lewis
    :-)

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by The Thriller View Post
    Unfortunately, we cannot get rid of these tax loopholes because many in Congress have sworn oaths to never ever ever ever raise taxes. They consider closing tax loopholes to be a form of raising taxes.

Sad day in American indeed...
    Quote Originally Posted by colton View Post
    Yes, from everything I've read, Colbert's Super PAC sequence has been 100% accurate. This episode include. It's shameful, and good for Colbert for shining some light on the situation.
    It's kind of sad when comedy central becomes one of, or maybe the, best source of honest criticism of governmental policies. I'm not comfortable with the enormous amount of loopholes in this Super-Pac stuff.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    I called one of my law school classmates who works for Trevor Potter and he indicated that information provided was accurate. Then, just to make me feel bad, he attached a photo of the peabody he won for working on the Colber SuperPAC segments. It worked.