Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
    Yeah, I'm sure it's all the unions' fault that hostess makes some of the most unhealthy food you can get.

I'm sure the execs who made the decision to not sell anything healthy, even when America was clearly moving towards healthier eating, took the same cuts they are asking the bakers to take, right?

I don't know the specifics behind this strike. I do know that all of the things hostess is famous for, are things I wouldn't let my kids eat all the time. And that is certainly not something that can be blamed on the bakers union.
    I hear the Energy Drink industry is really hurting now too. They're not hurting because they're unhealthy, they're hurting because they're not good.

Rep Level
    When all else fails, blame a union.

Hostess should have adjusted to the market. Twinkies and cupcakes just aren't as popular as they once were. Just look at Krispy Kreme. When I was in HS, everyone ate'em. But now that craze is over. Today? I don't know of anyone who eats Krispy Kreme.
    Corbin sucks.

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by margodydek View Post
    I hear the Energy Drink industry is really hurting now too. They're not hurting because they're unhealthy, they're hurting because they're not good.
    Yeah, maybe hostess should have stated putting addictive drugs like caffeine in their food. They'd probably still be in business, lol.

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
    Yeah, maybe hostess should have stated putting addictive drugs like caffeine in their food. They'd probably still be in business, lol.
    Exactly. Energy Drinks figured this out long ago. If your product tastes like a**, just load it with addictive substances and you'll be good. Heck, that's how Homer made a killing selling tomatoes.

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by The Thriller View Post

Hostess should have adjusted to the market. Twinkies and cupcakes just aren't as popular as they once were. Just look at Krispy Kreme. When I was in HS, everyone ate'em. But now that craze is over. Today? I don't know of anyone who eats Krispy Kreme.
    Exactly.

I don't know a whole lot about this hostess thing, but from what I've seen the company wanted the employees to forfeit a substantial portion of their pensions, while simultaneously taking pay cuts and cuts in health care.

The union supposedly agreed to everything except forfeiting their pensions. They didn't want to give up their future, for a company that didn't really have a future.

Hostess chose to make unhealthy foods, and market them to kids in the hopes that the kids could convince the parents to buy them.

What they should have done was also offered a healthy line, marketed to parents, and the parents would convince the kids to eat them.

Since the union members refused to forfeit their pensions, look for a lot of those guys to cash out and start their own bakeries. Maybe they'll even band together and start a huge national company.

We might be surprised to see who ends up bidding for some of the liquidated hostess assets.

First BF League CHAMP nightmare3983's Avatar
    Rep Level

Rep Level
    I'd really like to get someone else's take on this other than Hostess Management.

Who the hell else are they gonna blame for going belly up? Certainly not themselves..

I found one article on Politico which had some quotes from the leader of the AFL-CIO.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1112/83979.html

LOL - look at the picture of the guy that they deemed appropriate to a accompany the article. He looks like Yosemite Sam on Meth. Thank God the liberal media is on the case.

He also looks like he downed a few Twinkies in his day. Something tells me we're not getting the whole story yet.

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by The Thriller View Post

LOL - I actually think it's the opposite. This country is completely saturated with fat ****s and the market is completely saturated with fat **** foods. Just take a walk down the junk food aisle in your local supermarket. Hostess could no longer handle or evolve with the competition. They've been making the same crap for 90 years.

I wouldn't worry though - "Hostess" isn't going anywhere. This name brand recognition is way too high. Someone will buy it up.

Rep Level
    I think the Hostess Outlet Store actually put them out of business. I honestly can't ever remember seeing a Twinkie box without a big black marker check mark on the outside or just some messed up looking Hostess Fruit Pies in everyone's cupboards. That place might as well have been Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory to the kids in my neighborhood growing up.

Rep Level
    WTF

I thought it was onions too.

Rep Level
    So does anybody actually like their products? I ate 'em aplenty as a kid, but I don't think I ever really liked the taste, just the fun of my little eating games. With Snoballs and Cupcakes, I liked to peel the icing/topping off and save it for last. If I felt like a real challenge, I would first try to peel the white icing squiggle intact off the top of the cupcake. With Twinkies, I would either try to suck out all the creme filling before eating the cake portion, or try to eat all the cake and leave the creme for last.

So did/does anyone have any favorite eating methods?
    a blast from the past... http://www.freepennystockalerts.com/

Banned
    Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by candrew View Post
    LOL - I actually think it's the opposite. This country is completely saturated with fat ****s and the market is completely saturated with fat **** foods. Just take a walk down the junk food aisle in your local supermarket. Hostess could no longer handle or evolve with the competition. They've been making the same crap for 90 years.

I wouldn't worry though - "Hostess" isn't going anywhere. This name brand recognition is way too high. Someone will buy it up.
    And make it profitable by not paying their workers what hostess was paying theirs.

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameface View Post
    And make it profitable by not paying their workers what hostess was paying theirs.
    Starting with the CEO, who had his salary tripled yet asked the union workers to take massive cuts.

Rep Level
    Does anyone appreciate the irony that just as Hostess is going out of business, pot is becoming legal in more and more states?

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Scat View Post
    Does anyone appreciate the irony that just as Hostess is going out of business, pot is becoming legal in more and more states?
    Hahahahahhaa .. what REALLY bad timing.. some other company is going to be reeping huge rewards..
    E.J. Wells vs. NAOS

The confusion...

---
    Pre-season mock (7/13/13) - page 111