Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    cheetos are still around, aren't they?

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    not really anything new here, but I did think it was interesting how they attribute all the additives in our food to the under-utilized capacity of the chemical industry after WWII ended

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...es-james-dewar

...But the tasty cakes originally made with milk and eggs had a shelf life of two or three days. By the 1940s, postwar America was pushing hard for consumer convenience and had a huge chemical capacity surplus from the war effort, Ettlinger said.

That combination led food scientists to find new uses for, among other chemical concoctions, polysorbate 60. The petroleum-based egg yolk substitute includes a toxic gas used to thicken paint and rocket fuel, Ettlinger said. Polysorbate 60 also happens to be a Twinkie ingredient.

As food processing evolved, the composition of Twinkies expanded to include artificial butter flavor, high-fructose corn syrup, calcium sulfate and sodium stearoyl lactylate, to name a few. Today Twinkies include about 40 ingredients....

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Here's a great article on the Hostess situation that everyone should read:
    http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/1...stess-Bankery#

Some highlights:
    Top wage was cut from $48,000 in 2005 to $34,000 ($16.12 per hour) last year. The company's latest proposal was to cut it again to $25,000 ($11.26 per hour).
    The pension was entirely self funded. The company "borrowed" it and never paid it back.
    The company's proposal included doubling insurance premiums while lowering the overall quality of the health plan.
    The company's latest proposal included canceling all future pension plan participation.
    6 CEOs since 2002, all left the company worse than when they took over, yet all got paid in full plus raises and huge bonuses. The current CEO aready announced he was leaving less than a year into the job, before he even offered the company's final proposal.
    One CEO "leaked" a letter saying the company had the best quarter in history. He then sold all of his stock, and released an updated letter saying the company was in big trouble. He resigned, but was brought back on as a consultant.

Banned
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
    Here's a great article on the Hostess situation that everyone should read:
    http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/1...stess-Bankery#

Some highlights:
    Top wage was cut from $48,000 in 2005 to $34,000 ($16.12 per hour) last year. The company's latest proposal was to cut it again to $25,000 ($11.26 per hour).
    The pension was entirely self funded. The company "borrowed" it and never paid it back.
    The company's proposal included doubling insurance premiums while lowering the overall quality of the health plan.
    The company's latest proposal included canceling all future pension plan participation.
    6 CEOs since 2002, all left the company worse than when they took over, yet all got paid in full plus raises and huge bonuses. The current CEO aready announced he was leaving less than a year into the job, before he even offered the company's final proposal.
    One CEO "leaked" a letter saying the company had the best quarter in history. He then sold all of his stock, and released an updated letter saying the company was in big trouble. He resigned, but was brought back on as a consultant.
    Sounds like a top notch brand

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
    Yeah, I'm sure it's all the unions' fault that hostess makes some of the most unhealthy food you can get.

I'm sure the execs who made the decision to not sell anything healthy, even when America was clearly moving towards healthier eating, took the same cuts they are asking the bakers to take, right?

I don't know the specifics behind this strike. I do know that all of the things hostess is famous for, are things I wouldn't let my kids eat all the time. And that is certainly not something that can be blamed on the bakers union.

Hostess was more than snack foods. They offered a variety of healthy, whole grain breads. As far as the baker's union... I hope every one of those ******** that voted for the strike lose their homes(and everything else, for that matter) for putting the rest of us out of a job. Their last offer to Hostess was to fire the Teamsters(transport drivers, RSR's, and go to IO's in order to pay the bakers more money to push a button after loading pre-measured ingredients.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Jazz Fan View Post
    I hope every one of those ******** that voted for the strike lose their homes(and everything else, for that matter) ...
    How bad does a company have to be, in order for the workers to prefer closing it down to taking a pay cut? You're right, the workers are risking their homes. Perhaps they felt it's worth the risk, or perhaps they felt they would lose their homes even ifr Hostess stayed open.
    http://lifetheuniverseandonebrow.blogspot.com/

Isaiah 1:18 -- Come now, and let us reason together

Any habitual action, such as eating or dressing, may be performed on the appropriate occasion, without any need of thought, and the same seems to be true of a painfully large proportion of our talk. -- Bertrand Russell

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by One Brow View Post
    How bad does a company have to be, in order for the workers to prefer closing it down to taking a pay cut? You're right, the workers are risking their homes. Perhaps they felt it's worth the risk, or perhaps they felt they would lose their homes even ifr Hostess stayed open.
    If they've already taken a huge cut, then they are asked to take another cut? They were probably promised the first time something along those lines and it never materialized. I'm sure they knew the executives probably took less of a cut and still got their bonuses while they are all taking a huge hit.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
    The more I hear about this, the more I side with the employees.

They probably have already risked their homes or lost their homes with the huge pay cuts and another pay cut would be just as bad or worse than unemployment.

What's not to say the company would follow through with the raises and wouldn't ask for even more cuts later?
    TREYBOT

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    There was an 8% cut across the board with give backs in the years to follow. 92%>0%. If I wasn't headed out job hunting I would post the entire proposed(ratified by Teamsters) contract.

Banned
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    There was an 8% cut across the board with give backs in the years to follow. 92%>0%. If I wasn't headed out job hunting I would post the entire proposed(ratified by Teamsters) contract.
    Not trying to be a dick but you sound bitter.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    After the 30% cuts in 2005, loss of pension in all reality, no pension for new employees, double cost on health insurance with less benefit... it all adds up.

There's more to it than just one number.
    TREYBOT

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by JazzSpazz View Post
    After the 30% cuts in 2005, loss of pension in all reality, no pension for new employees, double cost on health insurance with less benefit... it all adds up.

There's more to it than just one number.
    I have no problems with alot of the first cuts. However I wonder what cuts the CEOs and management made? Did they give up all bonuses,take a 30% cut in pay and other similar efforts to truly get the ball rolling?

Everyone needs to ante up so to speak.
    #BelieveInLindsey #BelieveInSnyder

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoked View Post
    I have no problems with alot of the first cuts. However I wonder what cuts the CEOs and management made? Did they give up all bonuses,take a 30% cut in pay and other similar efforts to truly get the ball rolling?

Everyone needs to ante up so to speak.
    I'm with you. I'm guessing they did not. More cuts turns it into a pattern. At first glance I was thinking the employees should just suck it up.... with more information coming out I'm not so sure.
    TREYBOT

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by JazzSpazz View Post
    I'm with you. I'm guessing they did not. More cuts turns it into a pattern. At first glance I was thinking the employees should just suck it up.... with more information coming out I'm not so sure.
    Knew I was right to withold opinion till I had more info.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    92% is still greater than 0. It's just like any other job, if you're unhappy with it, find something else. Instead, approximately 5000 Bakers Union members put 18,500 out of work.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    92% is still greater than 0. It's just like any other job, if you're unhappy with it, find something else. Instead, approximately 5000 Bakers Union members put 18,500 out of work.
    I am not rubber stamp union lover. However one could say that bad management had a healthy amount to do with the loss of those 18,500 jobs.