Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by The Thriller View Post
    Hilarious to watch those who jumped onto this anti-union bandwagon run and scatter now that the other side is being told.

Ooops!

Guess they jumped the gun too quickly after desperately trying to grab onto something after their ship was sunk just a few weeks ago.

When will conservatives come back to join the rest of us in reality? Not all unions are evil and bad and not all CEOs are the noble "job creators" that should be worshiped.

This brand of deregulation, insider trading, crony capitalism, with execs raiding historic companies merely to rob them of wealth and driving them further into financial instability, and then blaming everything on the workers clearly isn't sustainable nor conducive to an economic recovery.

Hello mr extreme.

Not many people I know on either side of the "fence" believe all CEO's are teh best, or all CEO's are teh wurst.

Just you, and maybe a select few others.
    TREYBOT

Drinkin haterade, ridin the hate train through hateville
    Rep Level
    Why are we so quick to find someone to hate and blame in these situations.

Quote Originally Posted by One Brow View Post
    It's not like the marketplace will disappear. Instead, people will buy Dolly Madison, Little Debbies, etc. Those companies will need to hire more bakers, delivery people, etc. Things shift around.

Then again, I'm a liberal, so unlike conservatives, I believe in the strength of the free market.
    Conservatives were saying this exact thing during Obama's auto bailout. Were you supportive of that?
    No Mediocrity

Rep Level
    Hilarious to watch those who jumped onto this anti-union bandwagon run and scatter now that the other side is being told.

Ooops!

Guess they jumped the gun too quickly after desperately trying to grab onto something after their ship was sunk just a few weeks ago.
    You're right, but it's too late. Nobody cares any more.

This story existed in the media for almost two weeks with nothing other than one side of the story. For several days, every single article I read, opinion or otherwise, had a variation of the phrase "according to management, the company failed because...." with zero examination.

Now, once the story is stale and 90% of the public who gave a **** about it in the first place has moved on, this liberal web site gets off its ass and does a cursory investigation of the issue and we see there is a whole other side to the story.

This is a glaring example of how lazy and incompetent our mainstream media is.

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by franklin View Post
    Why are we so quick to find someone to hate and blame in these situations.

Conservatives were saying this exact thing during Obama's auto bailout. Were you supportive of that?
    You can build cars anywhere. I don't think you can bake pastries in China for consumption in the US. So it seems to me that losing the car companies means a loss of US jobs, while losing a bakery company means a shifting of US jobs.

I also don't recall hearing that the main issues with the auto companies were strikes and uncooperative employees generally.
    http://lifetheuniverseandonebrow.blogspot.com/

Isaiah 1:18 -- Come now, and let us reason together

Any habitual action, such as eating or dressing, may be performed on the appropriate occasion, without any need of thought, and the same seems to be true of a painfully large proportion of our talk. -- Bertrand Russell

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by One Brow View Post
    You can build cars anywhere. I don't think you can bake pastries in China for consumption in the US.
    Dude, it's a Twinkie. They don't go bad. Ever.

Rep Level

Ooops!

When will conservatives come back to join the rest of us in reality? Not all unions are evil and bad and not all CEOs are the noble "job creators" that should be worshiped.

This brand of deregulation, insider trading, crony capitalism, with execs raiding historic companies merely to rob them of wealth and driving them further into financial instability, and then blaming everything on the workers clearly isn't sustainable nor conducive to an economic recovery.
    Quote Originally Posted by candrew View Post
    You're right, but it's too late. Nobody cares any more.

This story existed in the media for almost two weeks with nothing other than one side of the story. For several days, every single article I read, opinion or otherwise, had a variation of the phrase "according to management, the company failed because...." with zero examination.

Now, once the story is stale and 90% of the public who gave a **** about it in the first place has moved on, this liberal web site gets off its ass and does a cursory investigation of the issue and we see there is a whole other side to the story.

This is a glaring example of how lazy and incompetent our mainstream media is.
    I find it more interesting how the one person on this board which has been directly affected by the mess has been beat down for posting his opinion by mere spectators.

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Scat View Post
    I find it more interesting how the one person on this board which has been directly affected by the mess has been beat down for posting his opinion by mere spectators.
    He hasn't been beat down. The only post that I'm aware of that even mentioned him was the one where I said I was sorry that he lost his job.

If he was merely "posting his opinion" then it sure as heck isn't "beating him down" when we post our opinions.

Interestingly, I know someone who works at a different (large) bakery in the SLC area and they are already making plans to bid for at least one of the hostess facilities. One Brow is absolutely correct. These jobs aren't going away permanently. They will just be changing companies.

Banned
    Rep Level
    Who was the one person directly affected by this mess?

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp Rosetti View Post
    Who was the one person directly affected by this mess?
    Red Jazz Fan. You called him bitter.

Banned
    Rep Level
    Where did he say he worked for Hostess?

Banned
    Rep Level
    When he said "us," I thought he meant the proverbial "us."

RJF, did you work for Hostess?

Rep Level
    I didn't beat him down.

To be honest I haven't read one of his posts in years - I'll probably go back and check it out.

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp Rosetti View Post
    When he said "us," I thought he meant the proverbial "us."

RJF, did you work for Hostess?
    I got the impression he drove a truck that delivered Hostess products, or something like that, but not that he was directly employed by Hostess. I'm too lazy to look for his post about it.

Banned
    Rep Level
    Yeah, I didn't even get that impression. Looking back, perhaps he does. The overall tone in his post though did not convey that to me at the time.

Rep Level
    Two years. I was training to be a District Sales Manager but because staffing was so low I spent 22 weeks out of state, running sales routes, between Dec 25 and Aug 5.
    As for the most recent concessions, those monies were to return in the few years following restructuring, including the company resuming payment into the pension plan. Thre fact of the matter is, the Bakers Union, put almost 20,000 out of work instead of giving people the opportunity to seek employment elsewhere. 5000 Union members lost 19,500 jobs. Spin it however you want, that's the reality.