Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 62
  1. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,891
    Total Rep Points
    9993
    Rep Adjustment Power
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by fatchipper View Post
    Look at the eligible names for 2013. I'm about 90% sure Payton is a first ballot HOFer.

    Bernard King
    Jerry Krause
    Mark Jackson
    Tim Hardaway
    Bobby Jones
    Mitch Richmond
    Maurice Cheeks
    George McGinnis
    Rick Pitino
    Slick Leonard
    Payton should be in over that group. I would have to look at the numbers, but would Cheeks be the only other one deserving of being in with Hardaway and Richmond on the bubble? I leave Jackson out of the convo because I think he will get in, but don't want him to because he's a ... I can't think of a good word for him.
    TREYBOT

  2. #32
    Moderator Stoked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southern Utah
    Posts
    20,951
    Total Rep Points
    25145
    Rep Adjustment Power
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by JazzSpazz View Post
    Payton should be in over that group. I would have to look at the numbers, but would Cheeks be the only other one deserving of being in with Hardaway and Richmond on the bubble? I leave Jackson out of the convo because I think he will get in, but don't want him to because he's a ... I can't think of a good word for him.
    I can provide you with a couple upon request after I get off work.
    #BelieveInLindsey

  3. #33
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1
    Total Rep Points
    10
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    I remember in Open Court, that Steve Kerr guy said every single bad thing he can think of about Stockton. Gary even though he was a trash talker could always give credit where credit is due and is a real man not like the Steve Kerr.

  4. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Metro East, St. Louis
    Posts
    8,449
    Total Rep Points
    8094
    Rep Adjustment Power
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoked View Post
    I can provide you with a couple upon request after I get off work.
    He said good, not appropriate.
    http://lifetheuniverseandonebrow.blogspot.com/

    Isaiah 1:18 -- Come now, and let us reason together

    Any habitual action, such as eating or dressing, may be performed on the appropriate occasion, without any need of thought, and the same seems to be true of a painfully large proportion of our talk. -- Bertrand Russell

  5. #35
    Senior Member carolinajazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,712
    Total Rep Points
    -642
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by fatchipper View Post
    Look at the eligible names for 2013. I'm about 90% sure Payton is a first ballot HOFer.

    Bernard King
    Jerry Krause
    Mark Jackson
    Tim Hardaway
    Bobby Jones
    Mitch Richmond
    Maurice Cheeks
    George McGinnis
    Rick Pitino
    Slick Leonard
    ....well, Cheeks and Bobby Jones were true blue professionals.....that's more than can be said about Payton!

  6. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    160
    Total Rep Points
    63
    Rep Adjustment Power
    16
    John Stockton had a lot of respect from coaches and players all around the league. He was always on All Star teams as a coaches pick. I never heard anyone bad mouth Stockton (in terms of competitiveness/talent/playwise) except in Bill Simmons' book. Which I can understand where Simmons was coming from. He wasn't elite at his position and Malone/Stockton didn't really step it up in the post season like they should have (Why was David Benoit shooting in the 4th quarter?). Injuries plagued a 89 Jazz team that probably could have went to the finals. Maybe if the Jazz didn't trade Adrian Dantley that would have been that "third player" the Jazz always needed and we may have seen a Jazz championship. But that is how basketball is. MJ also said that Stockton/Jazz were the best team they played against in the finals. And he played against everyone.

  7. #37
    Senior Member carolinajazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,712
    Total Rep Points
    -642
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate505 View Post
    He may not be a first ballot HOFer, but I disagree with the rationale. Payton was 10x the player Miller was. Payton was a DPOY, made 2 NBA first teams, 5 second teams, 2 third teams, and 9 NBA all defensive teams. Miller made the all NBA third team three times in his career, and nothing better. Miller's 3 point shooting record and extremely memorable clutch moments against the Knicks gave him a far better resume than his actual career did.
    ....who would you go pay to see.....Payton or Reggie Miller? Case closed. I wouldn't walk across the street for free to see Gary Payton play. I'd pay at least 10 bucks to see Reggie!

  8. #38
    Senior Member carolinajazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,712
    Total Rep Points
    -642
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Urzajazz View Post
    John Stockton had a lot of respect from coaches and players all around the league. He was always on All Star teams as a coaches pick. I never heard anyone bad mouth Stockton (in terms of competitiveness/talent/playwise) except in Bill Simmons' book. Which I can understand where Simmons was coming from. He wasn't elite at his position and Malone/Stockton didn't really step it up in the post season like they should have (Why was David Benoit shooting in the 4th quarter?). Injuries plagued a 89 Jazz team that probably could have went to the finals. Maybe if the Jazz didn't trade Adrian Dantley that would have been that "third player" the Jazz always needed and we may have seen a Jazz championship. But that is how basketball is. MJ also said that Stockton/Jazz were the best team they played against in the finals. And he played against everyone.
    ...basically all hogwash! The Jazz got hosed by Dick Brevetta in that 6th game.....would have won that 7th game without question! Jordan cost Stockton and Malone two rings. The Jazz had enough to beat anybody else both years! Bill Simmons should be ashamed of himself for dissing either Stockton or Malone for anything basketball related!

  9. #39
    Senior Member carolinajazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,712
    Total Rep Points
    -642
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by YB85 View Post
    I don't. Payton was a better player than Reggie. Reggie should have been a first ballot, but because he wasn't doesn't mean Payton shouldn't be.

    Also, I guarantee that Stockton would be there if Payton asked. If not, he'd be pretty ****ing classless.
    .....if I were Stockton I'd twitter Payton and say: "Sorry, can't make it.....previous engagement.......hope you can find one of your trash talking punk buddies to do the honors!"

  10. #40
    Senior Member carolinajazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,712
    Total Rep Points
    -642
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Hack View Post
    Eh. Maybe you are right. I just thought I remembered people down playing John's abilities, saying he was a product of Karl Malone. I specifically remember Mark Jackson saying he wasnt that good. Maybe it was a only a couple people. I was young back then when I watched him, so I may be over exaggerating it a little.
    ....yeah, not very good and overrated. Only has TWO guard records that will NEVER be broken: Career assists and career steals! Nobody will even come close.

  11. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    160
    Total Rep Points
    63
    Rep Adjustment Power
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by carolinajazz View Post
    ...basically all hogwash! The Jazz got hosed by Dick Brevetta in that 6th game.....would have won that 7th game without question! Jordan cost Stockton and Malone two rings. The Jazz had enough to beat anybody else both years! Bill Simmons should be ashamed of himself for dissing either Stockton or Malone for anything basketball related!

    Look at his stats for post season and regular season. There should have been no way that Stockton/Malone shouldn't have done more in the post season. Their numbers dropped dramatically.

    If you are mad that they didn't call the "jordan push" a foul, then you have to call a foul on Karl Malone holding Barkley back on "the shot". They don't call a lot of those fouls in the final seconds of games.

    Also, Sloan's substitution patterns hurt us in that game against the Bulls. You should have seen his 3rd quarter lineup.

    It is only put under a microscope by Jazz fans because of implications, but you don't call a foul there because B-Russ slipped and the nudge wasn't enough to make him slip that much. yeah, the Jazz probably would have won a game 7 in Utah. But it shouldn't have come down to that.

    EDIT: Also, Jazz STILL had a chance to tie/win and Malone lost the ball. As much his fault as it is Jordan's "shot".

  12.  

     

  13. #42
    Moderator Stoked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southern Utah
    Posts
    20,951
    Total Rep Points
    25145
    Rep Adjustment Power
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by One Brow View Post
    He said good, not appropriate.
    Sometimes they can be one and the same. It all depends on your perspective.
    #BelieveInLindsey

  14. #43
    Premium Member tatermoog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    558
    Total Rep Points
    324
    Rep Adjustment Power
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by YB85 View Post
    This
    It occurs to me that CarolinaJazz might be one of the longest-running trolls currently around on the internet. That is a long-ass time to do a character. And a vaguely racist Utah Jazz basketball fan, at that.

  15. #44
    Dante's Inferno YB85's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,974
    Total Rep Points
    11564
    Rep Adjustment Power
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by carolinajazz View Post
    .....if I were Stockton I'd twitter Payton and say: "Sorry, can't make it.....previous engagement.......hope you can find one of your trash talking punk buddies to do the honors!"
    So wait...Gary Payton is trash talking punk but Reggie Miller is someone you would pay to see?

    Keep the laughs coming, KKKarolinajazz. Keep 'em coming.

  16. #45
    Senior Member vslice02's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,847
    Total Rep Points
    2512
    Rep Adjustment Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by carolinajazz View Post
    Oh, by the way, if Reggie Miller wasn't a first ballot, Payton won't be either!
    Payton's career > Reggie's. Not by much, and not saying Reggie wasnt worthy of 1st-ballot status, but GP is a 1st-ballot Hall-of-Famer.
    "It's a loss. It's one loss on our home floor that we aren't happy with." -Ty Corbin, 12/26/12.
    "It's one loss." -Ty Corbin, 1/11/13.
    "Whether you lose by one or by 45 like we did tonight, it's one loss." -Ty Corbin, 1/28/13.
    "It's one loss." -Ty Corbin, 4/3/13.
    It's disappointing any time you don't make the playoffs." -Ty Corbin, 4/17/13.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •