Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    On the kid thing, just because some one is LDS doesn't mean they aren't stupid or raised in a small closed community. Yes if they were truly disciples of Christ things would be different.
    Build a man a fire; keep him warm for a day. Light a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of this life.

Repeating the same actions and expecting different results is the definition of insanity.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    On the kid thing, just because some one is LDS doesn't mean they aren't stupid or raised in a small closed community. Yes if they were truly disciples of Christ things would be different.
    Are you adressing the LDS church in general or those specific families?

The LDS church membership is dramatically different outside of Utah than it is in it.
    #BelieveInLindsey

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulu View Post
    Just want to shout out to my boys Chris and PKM!! Chris your definitely one of the best dudes I know, and have been blessed to know you for as long as I have!!

PKM, I've only known you for a short time,but I respect you far more than many people I've know for my whole life!! You have the right attitude about life and respect all people for who they are, something we all could learn from ya!!

To everyone else who has given some insight of the subject I appreciate your comments and interpretations of the WOW (especially infection)... I just may take elders quorum of tomorrow!
    You guys need to chill with the STG lovefest...... lol.
    "If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSilencer1313 View Post
    You guys need to chill with the STG lovefest...... lol.
    TheSilencer is the best damn dude I've never met. I swear, if I ever get to meet that guy, my life will finally be complete.
    #dumptruckin

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM View Post
    TheSilencer is the best damn dude I've never met. I swear, if I ever get to meet that guy, my life will finally be complete.
    I'm starting to wonder if PKM has the same speech writers as Barack Obama.
    Hardy-har-har :-)
    "If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Hey! You watch your non St George Group Member mouth! Round these parts you got a real purty mouth boy. We can find better uses for a mouth like that than letting you speak.
    #BelieveInLindsey

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    *changing writing style*
    #dumptruckin

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    I like that my kids have some non-member friends. Real life can hit you pretty hard when you grow up in a mormon bubble. It's good to know how normal people function. Makes you less judgmental, IMO. And it's not like their friend's parents are offering them smokes or hookers.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronco70 View Post
    I like that my kids have some non-member friends. Real life can hit you pretty hard when you grow up in a mormon bubble. It's good to know how normal people function. Makes you less judgmental, IMO. And it's not like their friend's parents are offering them smokes or hookers.
    Wow. I think I internet-know you well enough to know you didn't intend that to be read the way I did.. but it's statements like these, when intended 'that' way, that turns nons off to 'members.'

The non-intended assertion is that my kids must act like heathens (they're all high honor roll and dual sports) and therefore your kids would learn to be cautious of the real world through interactions.

Btw, I wasn't even 1ounce offended, because I know you didn't intend it that way .. nor would I be offended if you had.

Carry on folks.
    #dumptruckin

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoked View Post
    Hey! You watch your non St George Group Member mouth! Round these parts you got a real purty mouth boy. We can find better uses for a mouth like that than letting you speak.
    Sooee'! Sooooee'!!

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoked View Post
    The LDS church membership is dramatically different outside of Utah than it is in it.
    This is largely blown out of proportion and kept alive by people in Utah feeling self-conscious and berating the 'Utah Mormons' as a sign to others that they're not 'one of them' and are therefore either more intelligent or more compassionate.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by infection View Post
    This is largely blown out of proportion and kept alive by people in Utah feeling self-conscious and berating the 'Utah Mormons' as a sign to others that they're not 'one of them' and are therefore either more intelligent or more compassionate.
    I don't know enough non-Utah Mormons to have a responsible take, but Mormons I have met in Kentucky, Florida, and North Carolina have been pretty laid-back .. not much different. If anything Utah Mormons generally seem a bit more uppity. I attribute that to the more close-knit community and the high % of peers. (That is not a slam, at all, btw .. though I realize it sounds like it.) Out of Utah Mormons seem to want to just blend in a bit more and just be accepted, whereas I find Utah Mormons to be feeling as though they are accepting those who are not. (almost like turf)

I love all you guys though, really... just sharing observations as a non-Mormon that has mostly Mormon friends and has lived in nearly 20 states.
    #dumptruckin

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    I don't know enough non-Utah Mormons to have a responsible take, but Mormons I have met in Kentucky, Florida, and North Carolina have been pretty laid-back .. not much different. If anything Utah Mormons generally seem a bit more uppity. I attribute that to the more close-knit community and the high % of peers. (That is not a slam, at all, btw .. though I realize it sounds like it.) Out of Utah Mormons seem to want to just blend in a bit more and just be accepted, whereas I find Utah Mormons to be feeling as though they are accepting those who are not. (almost like turf)

I love all you guys though, really... just sharing observations as a non-Mormon that has mostly Mormon friends and has lived in nearly 20 states.
    As a non-Utah Mormon, I think you're spot on with your analysis here.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by infection View Post
    My experience is dramatically different. I have been in wards in SLC, Layton, CC and ST G. Then Denver, Woodinville (WA) and 2 in Memphis. It very much is true. In Utah the vast majority of people you deal with are Mormon. Especially in southern Utah. It leads to a sense our haughtiness and in a lot of cases makes members stiff and anal. You can deny it and say it is overblown all you want. My life experiences based on several wards in different cities of different sizes proves to me that it is not.
    #BelieveInLindsey

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Wow. I think I internet-know you well enough to know you didn't intend that to be read the way I did.. but it's statements like these, when intended 'that' way, that turns nons off to 'members.'

The non-intended assertion is that my kids must act like heathens (they're all high honor roll and dual sports) and therefore your kids would learn to be cautious of the real world through interactions.

Btw, I wasn't even 1ounce offended, because I know you didn't intend it that way .. nor would I be offended if you had.

Carry on folks.
    I'm glad that you took the time to discern my intentions. I thought that the mention of the "Mormon bubble" would clarify that it was not an indictment of non-Mormon kids. I wouldn't let my kids hang out with kids I thought were bad, or that would expose them to bad environments, Mormon or not. It was mostly a commentary on judgment. Mormon kids that don't have non-member friends tend to be significantly more judgmental. I just don't want my kids to be that way. That's all I meant.