Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Rep Level
    Ya, I'm talking about the people that leave just because someone offended them. Plenty of valid reasons to leave the Church and that's fine. But being offended isn't one of them. Sometimes I just hear people gripe and that seems more and more what it's about. Which to me is pathetic. Not saying that's anyone here just a general rant there directed at a specific group.

To me that applies to any religion out there.
    BYU 1984 National Champs.

Rep Level
    What a great thread. (zero sarcasm)

I have enjoyed this one, post by post.
    E.J. Wells vs. NAOS

The confusion...

---
    Pre-season mock (7/13/13) - page 111

Banned
    Rep Level
    This has been an intriguing read. Thanks to all who have participated.

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronco70 View Post
    My neighbor, who has lived in our current ward for about 8 years, and is an active and participating member, confided in me that he still feels much like an outsider.
    This is kind of how we feel in my current ward. This ward is very clique-ish, and we're on the outside looking in. It doesn't bother me so much as I've never been one to care about other people's opinions, but my wife hates it here (she's very much a person who needs to feel liked). We've lived here over six years and have done exactly one social thing with other members of the ward outside of church activities, while there are crap loads of "groups" going out to do stuff. In fact, my wife once asked another woman in the ward a question and that lady literally looked my wife in the eye and turned around to start a conversation with someone else. Childish, really, if you ask me.
    The ward we lived in before this one was awesome. There were always groups doing stuff together, and everyone was always invited. We all looked for ways to get everyone involved.

Banned
    Rep Level
    Question from somebody who's not a Mormon...what exactly is a ward? I've always been confused by that. Thanks in advance.

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM View Post
    What a great thread. (zero sarcasm)

I have enjoyed this one, post by post.
    Agreed wholeheartedly.

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bigb View Post
    This is kind of how we feel in my current ward. This ward is very clique-ish, and we're on the outside looking in. It doesn't bother me so much as I've never been one to care about other people's opinions, but my wife hates it here (she's very much a person who needs to feel liked). We've lived here over six years and have done exactly one social thing with other members of the ward outside of church activities, while there are crap loads of "groups" going out to do stuff. In fact, my wife once asked another woman in the ward a question and that lady literally looked my wife in the eye and turned around to start a conversation with someone else. Childish, really, if you ask me.
    The ward we lived in before this one was awesome. There were always groups doing stuff together, and everyone was always invited. We all looked for ways to get everyone involved.
    That sucks, bigb. What's worse is that, imo, it's not limited to LDS wards .. not even close. It's humanity in general, which is worse. I have a total hypothesis on why this is, btw, and anyone is welcome to ask my opinion .. or tell me to stuff it. (My theory is based on archaeological evidence - empirical - and historical evidence.)
    E.J. Wells vs. NAOS

The confusion...

---

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by JazzMan89 View Post
    Question from somebody who's not a Mormon...what exactly is a ward? I've always been confused by that. Thanks in advance.
    A "ward" is a local congregation. Here in Utah, they average about 300 members. A group of 8-9 wards are called "stakes". A group of stakes are called "regions". A group of regions is an "area".

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by JazzMan89 View Post
    Non-Mormon - a geographical locale that makes up a local congregation.
    E.J. Wells vs. NAOS

The confusion...

---

Rep Level
    That sucks, bigb. What's worse is that, imo, it's not limited to LDS wards .. not even close. It's humanity in general, which is worse. I have a total hypothesis on why this is, btw, and anyone is welcome to ask my opinion .. or tell me to stuff it. (My theory is based on archaeological evidence - empirical - and historical evidence.)
    Thanks, man. My wife has a tendency to rub people the wrong way and not everyone gets her sense of humor right away. However, she has MANY, MANY lifelong friends, so people who get to know her love her forever. It's the people who don't truly give a rat's ass about others that lose out on what she has to offer.

Rep Level
    Thanks, man. My wife has a tendency to rub people the wrong way and not everyone gets her sense of humor right away. However, she has MANY, MANY lifelong friends, so people who get to know her love her forever. It's the people who don't truly give a rat's ass about others that lose out on what she has to offer.
    Sounds like my wife, seriously. Mine has the heart of a lion, but a mouth of one too. SHe speaks her mind and most can't take it .. so she has been left with only lifelong friends. She's a fantastic friend to those that can take the TRUTH!!! (as she calls it, lol)
    E.J. Wells vs. NAOS

The confusion...

---

Rep Level
    Sounds like my wife, seriously. Mine has the heart of a lion, but a mouth of one too. SHe speaks her mind and most can't take it .. so she has been left with only lifelong friends. She's a fantastic friend to those that can take the TRUTH!!! (as she calls it, lol)
    That's my wife exactly. She has no problem saying exactly what she thinks.

Rep Level
    That's my wife exactly. She has no problem saying exactly what she thinks.
    While we have the male estrogen flowing ..

my wife is a major 'do it!' type girl. outgoing .. but no brake on the tongue.
    E.J. Wells vs. NAOS

The confusion...

---

Rep Level
    I think every ward has its cliques. Every ward I've been in, anyway. But PKM is right, that behavior happens in any collection of humanity. On the other hand, I've found it kinda helps identify the people that I wouldn't like anyway...

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronco70 View Post
    I think every ward has its cliques. Every ward I've been in, anyway. But PKM is right, that behavior happens in any collection of humanity. On the other hand, I've found it kinda helps identify the people that I wouldn't like anyway...
    All too true.