Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by bigb View Post
    Thanks, man. My wife has a tendency to rub people the wrong way and not everyone gets her sense of humor right away. However, she has MANY, MANY lifelong friends, so people who get to know her love her forever. It's the people who don't truly give a rat's ass about others that lose out on what she has to offer.
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM View Post
    Sounds like my wife, seriously. Mine has the heart of a lion, but a mouth of one too. SHe speaks her mind and most can't take it .. so she has been left with only lifelong friends. She's a fantastic friend to those that can take the TRUTH!!! (as she calls it, lol)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigb View Post
    That's my wife exactly. She has no problem saying exactly what she thinks.
    While we have the male estrogen flowing ..

my wife is a major 'do it!' type girl. outgoing .. but no brake on the tongue.

My wife just told me to tell you guys to shut up and quit talking about your wives on the innerwebz.

Not really.

Part of my theory is that if you take the time to really get to know a person, it is impossible not to have love and understanding for that person. It also makes it much more likely that you will like that person because you will understand them. The only problem with this is that it takes thought, listening, work, and doing things together in many different types of situations. Too many people around us don't really care to get to know new people around them and are content with interacting with whatever people they are already comfortable with. Very few people know either/both my wife and I well but once someone actually takes the time and effort to do so they become lifelong friends even over long distances.

The only exception to that rule is me. Nobody is capable of getting my sense of humor, which makes them incapable of understanding me, which in turn makes them want to stay away from me. It's either that or BO, and I don't smell anything... so it's probably that.
    VINDICATION

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    another ward question - - is it strictly determined by geographic boundaries and where you live? Do you HAVE to participate in the ward for where you live? Or (for example) if you move a mile or two away and are technically in a different ward, can you choose to remain active in your previous ward?

I think the Catholic church used to be that way (the equivalent term would be a parish), but I think it's less restrictive now, at least in my community.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by moevillini View Post
    another ward question - - is it strictly determined by geographic boundaries and where you live? Do you HAVE to participate in the ward for where you live? Or (for example) if you move a mile or two away and are technically in a different ward, can you choose to remain active in your previous ward?

I think the Catholic church used to be that way (the equivalent term would be a parish), but I think it's less restrictive now, at least in my community.
    Yes it is decided by pure geography.

However, no ward will turn you away if you live outside their boundries and wish to continue attending there. However you more than likely would not receive "callings" and things of that nature in a ward that was not your own. This rarely happens as the teachings are the same in any ward. They may have different lessons on any given Sunday but the gospel is the same.
    #BelieveInLindsey #BelieveInSnyder

I Got a feeling that tonight's gonna be a good night; that tonight's gonna be a good night;
    that tonight's gonna be a good good night; wooh hoo (x4) - For Cy

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoked View Post

However, no ward will turn you away if you live outside their boundries and wish to continue attending there. However you more than likely would not receive "callings" and things of that nature in a ward that was not your own. This rarely happens as the teachings are the same in any ward. They may have different lessons on any given Sunday but the gospel is the same.
    thanks for the explanation

and I would guess that this is more of an issue in Utah, and especially the SLC area, or other larger metropolitan areas where there are different wards in a fairly small area.

In an area where's there's less of a concentration of LDS members, I suppose a ward would cover a much larger geographic region. I wonder how many LDS wards there are in Chicago? Is there a map of this sort of thing?

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoked View Post
    For moe's benefit--there are some exceptions to this. For example, there are wards just for singles, and wards for foreign language speakers (Spanish is common here in Utah, etc.) that transcend the regular geographic boundaries.

But yes, for the most part it's as Stoked explained.
    "Giving to the poor is an essential part of Christian morality. I do not believe one can settle how much we ought to give. Im afraid the only safe rule is to give more than we can spare... If our charities do not at all pinch or hamper us, I should say they are too small. There ought to be things that wed like to do but cannot do because our charitable expenditure excludes them." --C.S. Lewis
    :-)

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by colton View Post
    For moe's benefit--there are some exceptions to this. For example, there are wards just for singles, and wards for foreign language speakers (Spanish is common here in Utah, etc.) that transcend the regular geographic boundaries.

But yes, for the most part it's as Stoked explained.
    Even then it is done by geographical boundries. The area may be much larger, in order to get an adequate amount of members to attend, or shapped differently but it is still done by geography.
    #BelieveInLindsey #BelieveInSnyder

I Got a feeling that tonight's gonna be a good night; that tonight's gonna be a good night;
    that tonight's gonna be a good good night; wooh hoo (x4) - For Cy

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    In an area where's there's less of a concentration of LDS members, I suppose a ward would cover a much larger geographic region. I wonder how many LDS wards there are in Chicago? Is there a map of this sort of thing?
    I'm not aware of a map which shows all the wards in a given city, but there's a "meetinghouse locator" where you can type in your address and it will show you which ward covers your address. With patience, you could map things out. :-)
    http://www.lds.org/rcmaps/#lat=40.31...ayers=selected

Or, if you can count the number of LDS churches in your city (maybe try typing in "church of jesus christ of latter-day saints" to google maps), you could probably figure there are 2 or maybe 3 wards per building.
    "Giving to the poor is an essential part of Christian morality. I do not believe one can settle how much we ought to give. Im afraid the only safe rule is to give more than we can spare... If our charities do not at all pinch or hamper us, I should say they are too small. There ought to be things that wed like to do but cannot do because our charitable expenditure excludes them." --C.S. Lewis
    :-)

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    thanks for the explanation

and I would guess that this is more of an issue in Utah, and especially the SLC area, or other larger metropolitan areas where there are different wards in a fairly small area.

Try http://www.lds.org/rcmaps/#lat=41.78...e&tools=layers

This shows all of the meetinghouses -- there are generally 2 or 3 wards per building. If you type in a specific address in this tool, it should let you know which ward that address would fall in.

edit: what a hack I am. Thanks a lot, colton.
    ^^^this

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    The ward thing (determining which building you attend) has always been weird to me (not necessarily bad weird, but weird).

I have known people looking at multi-million dollar homes that 'test-drive' the wards of an area and place a huge factor of what/where they purchase their home on the church experience of one ward over another. I've always just felt like saying, "Why not just buy what you want and go to the ward you want?"

Obviously that is NONE of my business, but I've thought it nonetheless.
    #dumptruckin

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    LOL, I put in my zip code - of the 2 meetinghouses that were closest to where I live, each of which appeared to serve 2 congregations (or wards, I'm not sure exactly how to interpret the results), 3 out of the 4 of them were Spanish-speaking!

anyhow thanks!

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    I have known people looking at multi-million dollar homes that 'test-drive' the wards of an area and place a huge factor of what/where they purchase their home on the church experience of one ward over another. I've always just felt like saying, "Why not just buy what you want and go to the ward you want?"
    If being LDS just meant showing up on sunday (to some it does...) it might be easy to just go where you want to. But it's kind of a demanding religion, and being as close as possible to your meetinghouse is of significant benefit.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronco70 View Post
    If being LDS just meant showing up on sunday (to some it does...) it might be easy to just go where you want to. But it's kind of a demanding religion, and being as close as possible to your meetinghouse is of significant benefit.
    I get that. I just don't get the "go to your own ward if you want to be in the fullest of your calling" thing. That just seems insanely legalistic to me. Though I respect your religion's ability to administer as it deems best fit. I can't argue with the results.
    #dumptruckin

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    I guess it's probably just much easier to manage a congregation when everyone is in the same general area. For example, I'm probably a lot less likely to do my home teaching if getting to my families is less convenient.

And I imagine it's a little like a school teacher who makes desk assignments, rather than letting kids sit wherever they want. More control, etc.

It would be nice to be able to pick where you want to attend, but I could see it being a major headache, from an administrative standpoint.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    I see my relationship with God as less administratively important, I guess.
    #dumptruckin

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    The ward thing (determining which building you attend) has always been weird to me (not necessarily bad weird, but weird).

Obviously that is NONE of my business, but I've thought it nonetheless.
    Makes sense if you have kids and/or just want to avoid geriatric wards. I imagine if we're talking multi-millys, there is going to be a lot of old people there. Old people are fine, but your 15 year old son that you have to drag out of bed to go to church on Sunday might like a few peers.

And of course every broke ass single 20's Mormon out there probably scopes out singles wards beforehand too for obvious reasons.