Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 41
  1. #1
    Senior Member cctrackstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Still Salt Lake.
    Posts
    1,323
    Rep Power
    18

    Hayward Doesn't mind coming off the bench.

    I've heard this before, and he confirmed in this article that Hayward doesn't mind coming off the bench:

    http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/jazz/55...bench.html.csp

    My question is do we like this or not? On the one hand it means that he is more flexible as far as how he is used and he won't be a locker room cancer or a pouty Millsap - er player I mean.

    On the other hand, does this mean that he doesn't have the fire to truly be great?

    I know he's really competitive, I have heard about how he is really pissed if he loses a game of one on one. Do we call BS on him being fine with coming off the bench? Is he just really good at PR stuff? I think of all of the players, he is the one who is most likely to be ok with it, but that brings us back to the question: Are we ok with him being ok with it?

  2. #2
    Premium Member midnight_hwy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Boise, Idaho
    Posts
    748
    Rep Power
    13
    I don't really think he minds. If anything, he probably likes it more as he gets to be a more focal point of the offense with the second unit.
    I don't believe that he will be a bench player for the rest of his career, but with the current Jazz lineup, being with the second unit is probably the best place he could be right now.

  3. #3
    Senior Member candrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,564
    Rep Power
    32
    Why would he care? In the Bizzarro world that is The Jazz offensive system, he's better off and he knows it.

    He plays with a squad that actually kinda/sorta runs plays. He has a real PG feeding him the ball and he gets the most looks.

    What's not to like?

  4. #4
    Moderator Stoked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southern Utah
    Posts
    18,669
    Rep Power
    77
    I am really starting to like and agree with Hayward as the sixth man. He seems to excel in that role. Good teams need a good 6th man as well.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Zulu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The STG
    Posts
    8,685
    Rep Power
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoked View Post
    I am really starting to like and agree with Hayward as the sixth man. He seems to excel in that role. Good teams need a good 6th man as well.
    So do bad teams..... Just sayin'!!!!
    http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o604/sainsbu/ProfessionalTank_zps6f4cddad.png

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,082
    Rep Power
    0
    Come on guys, does he mind .. ABSOLUTELY.

    Will he say that ... ABSOLUTELY NOT. He is too smart for that.

    Hayward is a fierce competitor and is an NBA Starter on almost all teams. (Not an all-star, but a starter).

    Here is my problem with it. The problem with the previous starting 5 was not Hayward, it was Black Hole, no defense Big Al.
    The difference with Hayward off the bench is he gets touches and handles the ball. Hmmmm, ever think to do that with the starters and get
    Al's ass out of here.

    Now that Favors is starting, Hayward needs to be in that lineup with Favors.

    PLUS, Hayward is a significantly better defender than Foye.

    What I want to see is who finishes. Washington/Rockets was not close at the end.
    We need to develop Hayward as a closer. He already closes out on key defensive possessions. I want the ball to go through him for last shots.

    Here's the deal. It is crap like this why someone like Hayward even will choose to leave Utah as soon as he can. Players want to start and play minutes.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    954
    Rep Power
    14
    Utah would be better served with Hayward in the starting line-up instead of Foye. Foye is instant offense off the bench and that where he should be. He could be Utah's Jason Terry. Hayward on the other hand would be beneficial in the starting line-up because he could be a distributor for the offense. Since Mo is a shoot first point guard and you have the Big 3 down low that need the ball, Hayward could play more of a PG role getting other involved, as well as driving and spotting up.

  8. #8
    Senior Member orangello's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Draft BPA
    Posts
    12,574
    Rep Power
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by candrew View Post
    Why would he care? In the Bizzarro world that is The Jazz offensive system, he's better off and he knows it.

    He plays with a squad that actually kinda/sorta runs plays. He has a real PG feeding him the ball and he gets the most looks.

    What's not to like?
    So sad and true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggs View Post
    So I was very mad about the game, but I wasn't going to vent here, because you guys all feel the same way. However, Ty's postgame interview got my blood boiling. On why he let Trey and Gordon play while having bad games, "You gotta let them battle through it because that's what you gotta do." Really are you kidding me. You have to balls to say that when you pulled Alec after 16 minutes against LAC and Kanter got 19 minutes toinght?

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    9,571
    Rep Power
    0
    I think Hayward sees the bigger picture and wants to contribute to team wins more than buff his ego. I said it before he played a minute in a Jazz uniform, Hayward is a winner and winners win. He took his college team further than they were supposed to go. How? Tenacity and finding ways to win. That's who he is. When he's not playing basketball he's playing real time strategy games and at a high level. I think Hayward is honestly about putting the best constructed team on the floor and using that team's strength in the best possible way, fitting into that and finding a way to make it work.

    Did I mention that I really like Hayward. Even when he's not shooting well he is contributing.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    9,571
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by udflyer View Post
    Come on guys, does he mind .. ABSOLUTELY.

    Will he say that ... ABSOLUTELY NOT. He is too smart for that.

    Hayward is a fierce competitor and is an NBA Starter on almost all teams. (Not an all-star, but a starter).

    Here is my problem with it. The problem with the previous starting 5 was not Hayward, it was Black Hole, no defense Big Al.
    The difference with Hayward off the bench is he gets touches and handles the ball. Hmmmm, ever think to do that with the starters and get
    Al's ass out of here.

    Now that Favors is starting, Hayward needs to be in that lineup with Favors.

    PLUS, Hayward is a significantly better defender than Foye.

    What I want to see is who finishes. Washington/Rockets was not close at the end.
    We need to develop Hayward as a closer. He already closes out on key defensive possessions. I want the ball to go through him for last shots.

    Here's the deal. It is crap like this why someone like Hayward even will choose to leave Utah as soon as he can. Players want to start and play minutes.
    I disagree with this. That mentality is what's wrong with the NBA.

  11. #11
    Senior Member orangello's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Draft BPA
    Posts
    12,574
    Rep Power
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey32 View Post
    Utah would be better served with Hayward in the starting line-up instead of Foye. Foye is instant offense off the bench and that where he should be. He could be Utah's Jason Terry. Hayward on the other hand would be beneficial in the starting line-up because he could be a distributor for the offense. Since Mo is a shoot first point guard and you have the Big 3 down low that need the ball, Hayward could play more of a PG role getting other involved, as well as driving and spotting up.
    I love the fact that the wings that are in the game when Jefferson is are nearly worthless. When I say love I mean hate. When I say worthless I mean invisible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggs View Post
    So I was very mad about the game, but I wasn't going to vent here, because you guys all feel the same way. However, Ty's postgame interview got my blood boiling. On why he let Trey and Gordon play while having bad games, "You gotta let them battle through it because that's what you gotta do." Really are you kidding me. You have to balls to say that when you pulled Alec after 16 minutes against LAC and Kanter got 19 minutes toinght?

  12. #12
    Senior Member fishonjazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    K-TOWN
    Posts
    12,125
    Rep Power
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by orangello View Post
    I love the fact that the wings that are in the game when Jefferson is are nearly worthless. When I say love I mean hate. When I say worthless I mean invisible.
    Lol... and truth
    repped.

  13.  

     

  14. #13
    Senior Member Brown Notes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,367
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by orangello View Post
    I love the fact that the wings that are in the game when Jefferson is are nearly worthless. When I say love I mean hate. When I say worthless I mean invisible.
    They stop being invisible when the ball moves. Last game was a very good example. Ty had plays run through almost everybody, early, and Mo played like a point guard at least half the time. When Al calls for and holds the ball, or Mo dribbles around the top of the key for 6 seconds, the wings have little opportunity to contribute. Although why nobody cuts in these situations is still a mystery.
    "I'm a moron for thinking the Browns could even sniff 10 wins in a division where the other three teams (two of whom almost always make the playoffs) made the post-season last year. Gyp Rosetti's thee God of football knowledge." - Brown Notes

  15. #14
    Senior Member TheSilencer1313's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tooele, Utah
    Posts
    3,101
    Rep Power
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameface View Post
    I think Hayward sees the bigger picture and wants to contribute to team wins more than buff his ego. I said it before he played a minute in a Jazz uniform, Hayward is a winner and winners win. He took his college team further than they were supposed to go. How? Tenacity and finding ways to win. That's who he is. When he's not playing basketball he's playing real time strategy games and at a high level. I think Hayward is honestly about putting the best constructed team on the floor and using that team's strength in the best possible way, fitting into that and finding a way to make it work.

    Did I mention that I really like Hayward. Even when he's not shooting well he is contributing.
    I agree big time with Gameface on this one.
    Not only is Hayward better suited coming off of the bench himself..... he also makes Kanter, Marvin, and Carroll better as well. In that second unit, you have two play makers in Hayward and Tinsley to help Kanter develop along with (mostly) solid offense from Marvin as well as great defense and hustle from Carroll.
    This bench reminds me of something like San Antonio has, in that Ginobili is a playmaker, as is Hayward.

    Hayward is a winner, and a leader. One of those guys that will help a team win no matter what the role may be.
    "If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

  16. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    ban tower
    Posts
    4,376
    Rep Power
    0
    you gotta wonder, would hayward be coming off the bench if he were black?
    maybe hayward has just accepted the reverse racialism in the NBA at this point.
    maybe, he needs to insert himself into the starting lineup and refuse to go to the bench until officials physically force him.
    I'm not saying Hayward has the opportunity to be the NBA's reverse Rosa Parks, but I'm not saying he doesn't, either.
    You decide.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •