View Poll Results: Why is Burks glued to the bench?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Foye is way better and deserves the time.

3 6.12%
  • Foye is marginally better but we need to win now.

16 32.65%
  • His work ethic blows.

2 4.08%
  • He's failing to grasp our system or lack thereof.

10 20.41%
  • Corbin is masterfully motivating him.

3 6.12%
  • He's a hopper?

0 0%
  • His attitude sucks

5 10.20%
  • Other

10 20.41%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by fishonjazz View Post
    I agree, and im not saying burks is like those guys i mentioned but it seems like if we were to draft a guy like derrick rose (cocky, ball hog type) we wouldn't use him properly and jazz fanz would crucify him for his ball hog ways.
    If D Rose was a ball hog that wasnt that good I guess Jazz fans might crucify him, but he isn't so I think he would be fine here. Also, Rose doesn't seem that cocky, seems like a pretty nice guy.

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    Link regarding his cockiness and arrogance?
    All I can think of is Locke's draft analysis that he is too cool for school comment, whatever that means. Can someone please tell me what the hell that means?
    I think the jazz NEED someone with cockiness and arrogance.... someone who believes and wants to take over a game.

I always hear about guys being chuckers as a negative thing. And being cocky as a negative thing..... Well guess what? Durant is a cocky chucker, Kobe is a cocky chucker, carmello, derick rose, westbrook, harden, irving ect ect. All cocky chuckers.
    We should be so lucky to have one on our team.
    that cockiness needs to be earned. Maybe he needs to be coached up first. Those players you mentioned earned that attitude. Burks still looks like he needs to learn how to play the right way. With that said I wish Burks was getting a little time to at least show he can improve.

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by kennykyle View Post
    If D Rose was a ball hog that wasnt that good I guess Jazz fans might crucify him, but he isn't so I think he would be fine here. Also, Rose doesn't seem that cocky, seems like a pretty nice guy.
    Just cause your cocky/confident doesnt mean you are not a nice guy.
    Im pretty sure that d rose is cocky and a nice guy..... and he is a ball hog due to fact that he shoots more than anyone on his team. And like i said, being a ball hog is not a bad thing and i think the jazz need someone like that. (alpha dog)

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Thee jazz fan View Post
    All I can think of is Locke's draft analysis that he is too cool for school comment, whatever that means. Can someone please tell me what the hell that means?

that cockiness needs to be earned. Maybe he needs to be coached up first. Those players you mentioned earned that attitude. Burks still looks like he needs to learn how to play the right way. With that said I wish Burks was getting a little time to at least show he can improve.
    Most of those players i mentioned came in to the league believing they were "the man" already and then recieved playing time to prove it.
    The best way to earn that cockiness is through playing time..... Sigh

Rep Level
    Cause Foye is marginally better and Corbin thinks marginal. Marginal satisfaction is enough to satisfy him..

Rep Level
    Most of those players i mentioned came in to the league believing they were "the man" already and then recieved playing time to prove it.
    The best way to earn that cockiness is through playing time..... Sigh
    Confirm: Westbrook.

We all know this team needs an alpha male. It seems TyCo is set on breeding out that trait.

Banned
    Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by NAOS View Post
    Confirm: Westbrook.

We all know this team needs an alpha male. It seems TyCo is set on breeding out that trait.
    Who do you want to be the Alpha Male? Burks, a 2nd year player who has done basically nothing? Mo, who tries to be but isn't good enough to back it up? Favors, just to quiet and nice. Milsap, to tries hard but also just isnt that type of guy. Gordon, also not an alpha type. I dont think Ty is breeding anything out of them. It wasn't there in the first place.

Rep Level
    Who do you want to be the Alpha Male? Burks, a 2nd year player who has done basically nothing? Mo, who tries to be but isn't good enough to back it up? Favors, just to quiet and nice. Milsap, to tries hard but also just isnt that type of guy. Gordon, also not an alpha type. I dont think Ty is breeding anything out of them. It wasn't there in the first place.
    I agree we don't have one. I think we need one, though. Rondo.
    E.J. Wells vs. NAOS

The confusion...

---
    Pre-season mock (7/13/13) - page 111

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrone Torbin View Post
    Foye is really good at shooting 3 pointers, which is our only good offense right now.
    Pretty much. When that dude is hitting shots the Jazz are hard to beat.
    "I'm a moron for thinking the Browns could even sniff 10 wins in a division where the other three teams (two of whom almost always make the playoffs) made the post-season last year. Gyp Rosetti's thee God of football knowledge." - Brown Notes

Rep Level
    I went with
    Foye is marginally better but we need to win now.
    Right now Foye is marginally better. And in Ty's mind gives us the best chance to win games now. The problem is thats not what a lot of us want

Rep Level
    Burks at least seems to have the attitude of an alpha male and seems to flourish when he is allowed to be the alpha male (summer league, college, pre-season).
    Maybe he wont be good enough to back it up, but i would like to find out if he is good enough or not..... right now we are not being allowed to see if he could be our alpha dog and that is the problem.
    Maybe Burks is showing in practice that he can be our alpha dog and a dominant scorer but like NAOS said TyCo might just not like that trait and that may be the reason burks doesn't play.

I go back to what i was saying about westbrook, rose, durant etc.... I wonder, hypothetically, if we drafted a rose or westbrook or durant, would corbin see the ball hog alpha dog style of play and put them in the doghouse? I would hope not but im not sure that he wouldn't.

Granted I am grasping at straws with this post but after watching burks LAST season, then in summer league and pre-season, combined with everything reported about burks from training camp, I just cant understand how he can keep getting DNP's.

Banned
    Rep Level
    Burks at least seems to have the attitude of an alpha male and seems to flourish when he is allowed to be the alpha male (summer league, college, pre-season).
    Maybe he wont be good enough to back it up, but i would like to find out if he is good enough or not..... right now we are not being allowed to see if he could be our alpha dog and that is the problem.
    Maybe Burks is showing in practice that he can be our alpha dog and a dominant scorer but like NAOS said TyCo might just not like that trait and that may be the reason burks doesn't play.

I go back to what i was saying about westbrook, rose, durant etc.... I wonder, hypothetically, if we drafted a rose or westbrook or durant, would corbin see the ball hog alpha dog style of play and put them in the doghouse? I would hope not but im not sure that he wouldn't.

Granted I am grasping at straws with this post but after watching burks LAST season, then in summer league and pre-season, combined with everything reported about burks from training camp, I just cant understand how he can keep getting DNP's.
    Well you are comparing Burks with 2 of the top 5 players in the NBA, thats not fair to Ty because Burks doesnt deserve to be compared to them.

Having an Alpha who doesnt deserve or hasnt earned it is never a good idea, I stand by the fact that when Burks starts playing well, whether it be in practice or on games he will get more playing time. There isn't a conspiracy, Burks was only the 12th pick, lets hold off on anointing him for awhile.

Rep Level
    Well you are comparing Burks with 2 of the top 5 players in the NBA, thats not fair to Ty because Burks doesnt deserve to be compared to them.

Having an Alpha who doesnt deserve or hasnt earned it is never a good idea, I stand by the fact that when Burks starts playing well, whether it be in practice or on games he will get more playing time. There isn't a conspiracy, Burks was only the 12th pick, lets hold off on anointing him for awhile.
    Again you keep saying WHEN he starts playing well.... Hello? he started playing well last year, and then again in the summer, and then again in pre-season..... So according to your timetable (when he starts playing well) he should already be playing.
    So we agree! cool!

Banned
    Rep Level
    Again you keep saying WHEN he starts playing well.... Hello? he started playing well last year, and then again in the summer, and then again in pre-season..... So according to your timetable (when he starts playing well) he should already be playing.
    So we agree! cool!
    I agree I would like to see him play, I dont agree with saying he has earned minutes or anything like that. I also dont agree with you comparing Burks to Durrant, Rose, Westbrook, Wade, like we have some top 5 player on our hands who just isnt getting a chance.

Rep Level
    So my feeling on this is simple. It is Corbins job to win the current game. It is the front office who decides what players he has to use. If you want Burks to get more time, move the guy who is better then him. Burks has not looked good in the limited time he has had on the floor. Foye has looked good at times and bad at times and I think he needs to play less time. Right now no one on the team has been great every game and the team has not figured out who they are this season.

The front office has shown that they are not a tank and rebuild team. They expect the Jazz to be in the playoffs. As of right now the team is having a hard time getting wins from bad teams, and even a little extra time for a young guy that costs us 2 or 3 points could have cost us 3 or 4 games this year. Not really happy with all of Corbin's coaching right now, but wont fault him for playing who he thinks will win that night.