Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    He will be sanctioned for coaching his team as he sees fit only because to Stern this is not a league about winning and good basketball, this is a game about stars.
    Nobody comes to watch basketball, they come to see the Big Fundamental, Frenchy, and the Argentine Acrobat.

ESPN put a poll up to see if Pop/Spurs should be sanctioned, 80% said no.

This is about Stern, not the fanzzz.

v

I'm getting tired of not being able to rep people, too bad for you Bordy.
    TREYBOT

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by JazzSpazz View Post
    He will be sanctioned for coaching his team as he sees fit only because to Stern this is not a league about winning and good basketball, this is a game about stars.
    Nobody comes to watch basketball, they come to see the Big Fundamental, Frenchy, and the Argentine Acrobat.

ESPN put a poll up to see if Pop/Spurs should be sanctioned, 80% said no.

This is about Stern, not the fanzzz.

v

I'm getting tired of not being able to rep people, too bad for you Bordy.
    Nicest way to call a flopper a flopper i've see yet.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Jody Genessy @DJJazzyJody 29 Nov
    By his actions, Jerry Sloan showed he respected the game. By his actions, Gregg Popovich shows he respects the Spurs.

Jerry Sloan used to talk about the responsibility he and NBA players had to go hard every night because fans paid to watch them. #respect
    X LIKE XENOPUS.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by mellow View Post
    By his actions, Jerry Sloan showed he respected the game. By his actions, Gregg Popovich shows he respects the Spurs.

Jerry Sloan used to talk about the responsibility he and NBA players had to go hard every night because fans paid to watch them. #respect

Ya, thats why Jerry never one a championship, and Pop has.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    I dont see what the hell is so hard for people to figure out here. Pop has an old team, and he understands they are human and he cant just run them into the ground and risk injury.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Hack View Post
    I dont see what the hell is so hard for people to figure out here. Pop has an old team, and he understands they are human and he cant just run them into the ground and risk injury.
    Oh poor Popovich, and the old ass Spurs. Why is it so hard for Hack to figure out that those players are a bunch of wussies, no matter how talented they may be. I would've never sat home on the premise that I'm resting up, just on principal alone.
    You never saw John Stockton, Karl Malone, Charles Barkley, David Robinson, or Patrick Ewing get sent home to "rest up".

I don't think the Spurs should be fined for this, but I don't think fans should have as much respect for them anymore. I definitely don't.
    "If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Hack View Post
    Then he needs to change his roster to players that can actually be counted on.

It isn't just about the Spurs. He has a responsibility to the league as well. Every game played matters. Even if the Spurs will still make the playoffs, some other team might have their draft position altered. Or maybe Miami finishes 1 game ahead of the Jazz (or whoever) and gets home court in the finals.

It's not all about the Spurs. The league itself cannot exist if there is no integrity in the games. This is much more important, and much bigger, than the responsibility Pop has to try to win championships. Without a league, there are no championships.

I wish I could tell my job "I'm getting old, me and the rest of the crew are taking today off. We've worked a lot this month. Please ignore the fact that I take 6 months off every year anyway, and only work for 3 hours per day when I work at all. I'm taking today off."

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Pops wanted to make a point and he did. He thinks the schedule is too crazy. If he was really interested in resting his players he would have made them stay but only played them 5-10 minutes.

There is a huge difference in them sitting on the bench and sending the home on a plane. Pops wanted this to be a big deal and he probably knew he would get in trouble. He knews exactly what he was doing.

I dont agree with it, but he was trying to make a point. It was a protest.
    GVC'S thoughts on the Jazz drafting Hayward......

Quote Originally Posted by GVC View Post
    Why not just buy a late 1st and draft Luke Babbitt? Better Body, better basketball skills, better athleticism...

Drinkin haterade, ridin the hate train through hateville
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSilencer1313 View Post
    Oh poor Popovich, and the old ass Spurs. Why is it so hard for Hack to figure out that those players are a bunch of wussies, no matter how talented they may be. I would've never sat home on the premise that I'm resting up, just on principal alone.
    There's that Silencer moral superiority I'm so fond of. If Silencer wouldn't do it then nobody should!

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
    Then he needs to change his roster to players that can actually be counted on.

It isn't just about the Spurs. He has a responsibility to the league as well. Every game played matters. Even if the Spurs will still make the playoffs, some other team might have their draft position altered. Or maybe Miami finishes 1 game ahead of the Jazz (or whoever) and gets home court in the finals.

It's not all about the Spurs. The league itself cannot exist if there is no integrity in the games. This is much more important, and much bigger, than the responsibility Pop has to try to win championships. Without a league, there are no championships.

I wish I could tell my job "I'm getting old, me and the rest of the crew are taking today off. We've worked a lot this month. Please ignore the fact that I take 6 months off every year anyway, and only work for 3 hours per day when I work at all. I'm taking today off."
    Yup, the NFL imploded years ago.
    No Mediocrity

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavenHarris View Post
    bro, most owners get their money from a lot of sources. one of those is fans.
    Fans make up more than just a little of the money in the NBA. Owners pay players with gate, concession, TV, radio, and merch revenue. This all paid for (directly or indirectly) by the fans. I don't have any numbers, but I'm pretty confident that there isn't a lot of money going to players out of the owner's non-basketball pockets. Maybe some, but very little, percentage wise. Minus the fans, the NBA is just big-boy intramurals.

That being said, Pops has the responsibility of looking out for his team. As much as we want to believe in the integrity of the game, integrity doesn't keep asses in the seats. Winning does.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power

hahaha
    Lakers Suck.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by franklin View Post
    There's that Silencer moral superiority I'm so fond of. If Silencer wouldn't do it then nobody should!
    Haha, yeah why not. Na man, all I'm saying is if you're a real competitor, then there's no reason to sit home because you're "tired".
    How many of us drag our asses to work everyday, even though we're tired?

There's some days I wish my boss would send me home because I'm tired, but I tough it out.
    Hell, I work double as much now, then I did when I was 20.

It's not a morality issue, but I don't consider that organization very tough, which is why I'm a Jazz fan in the first place.
    "If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Yes

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSilencer1313 View Post
    Haha, yeah why not. Na man, all I'm saying is if you're a real competitor, then there's no reason to sit home because you're "tired".
    How many of us drag our asses to work everyday, even though we're tired?

There's some days I wish my boss would send me home because I'm tired, but I tough it out.
    Hell, I work double as much now, then I did when I was 20.

It's not a morality issue, but I don't consider that organization very tough, which is why I'm a Jazz fan in the first place.
    This is a faulty arguement. I have not seen a single report that any of the four lobbied to be sent home in any way. They were fully prepared to play until their boss decided to send them home. If he had not they would have "toughed it out" as you put it.
    #BelieveInLindsey

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by franklin View Post
    Yup, the NFL imploded years ago.
    Is there some precedent of NFL teams benching all of the best players less than one month into the season? If that was happening, yes, the NFL would take a major hit.

The NFL teams bench star players at the end of the season after playoff seeding is set. This is understandable because the NFL has injuries almost every game.

NBA teams also bench star players at the end of the season after playoff seeding is set. This is less understandable than NFL teams doing it, but still understandable.

What the Spurs did last night does not fit into either of those categories. They simply decided to tank an early season, meaningful, pretty big (from fans perspective) regular season game.

No, the NFL does not have a habit of allowing that to happen. If some NFL coach gave a big "F U" to the fans and the league like Pop did last night, he'd probably be suspended.