Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Senior Member Beantown's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Look outside your window
    Posts
    6,510
    Rep Power
    33

    Why do guns get the blame?

    Reports are coming out that the Cheifs player was drinking heavily before shooting and killing his girlfriend.

    So why isn't alchohol up for the blame? Or how about him just being an idiot?

    Bob Costas said " they would still both be alive if they didnt have a gun"?

    Yea because grabbing a kitchen knife is soooooo much harder........





    Don't get me wrong I think effective gun control is beneficial. But I also think responsible individuals who want to protect themselves should be able to.
    GVC'S thoughts on the Jazz drafting Hayward......

    Quote Originally Posted by GVC View Post
    Why not just buy a late 1st and draft Luke Babbitt? Better Body, better basketball skills, better athleticism...

  2. #2
    Senior Member addictionary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    In my head, trying to get out more...
    Posts
    3,980
    Rep Power
    33
    I get your point. alcohol seems the 1st effect on that killing. but guns do not bring great amount of advertise money and other benefits, the things alcoholic beverage companies bring. I'm guessing, alcohol is a harder choice to point out as a scapegoat compared to guns because of that. and we cannot forget that US is a different country than many other in terms of allowing owning a gun. that has to be a problem if you want no one to die by bullet penetration.
    David Locke: "Because what happens in this league is, people start shooting threes and they get soft and donít want contact and then they just stay out there all the time. Youíre not going to get soft, are you?"

    Enes Kanter: "I kind of live in the paint, man. Come on. I wonít get soft. Donít worry about that."

    4.17.14


    Dave Locke:
    The Jazz PR guy just walked by shaking his head at you.
    What did you do?

    Kanter: I dropped a bomb.

    ~I'm sure it's hell to go to the public bathroom Kanter uses.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Beantown's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Look outside your window
    Posts
    6,510
    Rep Power
    33
    I wonder if this thought has ever crossed a killer "Im not going to kill that person anymore because I don't have access to a gun"


    Me thinks not.
    GVC'S thoughts on the Jazz drafting Hayward......

    Quote Originally Posted by GVC View Post
    Why not just buy a late 1st and draft Luke Babbitt? Better Body, better basketball skills, better athleticism...

  4. #4
    world's worst Bronco70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    In the backseat
    Posts
    4,412
    Rep Power
    46
    Because personal accountability is a non-factor anymore. If someone does something wrong, there must be an underlying evil that forced their hand.

    If Belcher had killed someone while driving drunk, would Costas be calling for automobiles to be banned? To me, it's a similar argument. No gun has ever made the decision to kill someone.

  5.  

     

  6. #5
    Senior Member Beantown's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Look outside your window
    Posts
    6,510
    Rep Power
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronco70 View Post
    Because personal accountability is a non-factor anymore. If someone does something wrong, there must be an underlying evil that forced their hand.

    If Belcher had killed someone while driving drunk, would Costas be calling for automobiles to be banned? To me, it's a similar argument. No gun has ever made the decision to kill someone.
    exactly.
    GVC'S thoughts on the Jazz drafting Hayward......

    Quote Originally Posted by GVC View Post
    Why not just buy a late 1st and draft Luke Babbitt? Better Body, better basketball skills, better athleticism...

  7. #6
    world's worst Bronco70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    In the backseat
    Posts
    4,412
    Rep Power
    46
    For the record, I'm not a full-on gun whacko.

    I believe in limited gun control - background checks, strict limits on automatic weapons, etc. But a law abiding citizen should be allowed to arm himself against potential danger. Good training/education is key. From time to time, someone who has every right to own a gun will do something bad with it. But this is far less dangerous than taking guns completely away from good people.

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Metro East, St. Louis
    Posts
    7,335
    Rep Power
    35
    On the other hand, generally killing with a knife takes a little more determination, or at least it seems that way to my untrained eyes (clarifications welcome). I can't ram a knife into a skull in just any old fashion, and knife wounds seem to have a smaller cross-section than bullet wounds. If it's harder to kill someone with a knife, than when people are drunk, they hare less laikely to be able to use a knife3 effectively.

    None of this absolves responsiblity for the shooter, of course.
    http://lifetheuniverseandonebrow.blogspot.com/

    Isaiah 1:18 -- Come now, and let us reason together

    Any habitual action, such as eating or dressing, may be performed on the appropriate occasion, without any need of thought, and the same seems to be true of a painfully large proportion of our talk. -- Bertrand Russell

  9. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    9,571
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by One Brow View Post
    On the other hand, generally killing with a knife takes a little more determination, or at least it seems that way to my untrained eyes (clarifications welcome). I can't ram a knife into a skull in just any old fashion, and knife wounds seem to have a smaller cross-section than bullet wounds. If it's harder to kill someone with a knife, than when people are drunk, they hare less laikely to be able to use a knife3 effectively.

    None of this absolves responsiblity for the shooter, of course.
    Regardless of how easy or hard it is to use this weapon or that to kill a person, it all starts with one person wanting to kill another. It's the will of the person. Instead of addressing that fact we look to make it harder for a person to do what they desire instead of acknowledging that any person who wants to kill another person is dangerous, gun or no gun.

    Let's not forget that there are about as many guns in this country as there are people. Many regular folks own guns. Yet, the mere presence of a gun doesn't lead a person to use it at every whim or in response to every insult. The reality is that people seldom want to take the life of another. In the instances where they do it's horrific and shocking. That should tell you something. Again, in a country where there are as many guns as people murder is not so common that we shrug it off. Obviously the guns are not to blame.

  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Metro East, St. Louis
    Posts
    7,335
    Rep Power
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameface View Post
    Instead of ...
    Why does it have to be "Instead of..."? Why not "In addition to..."?
    http://lifetheuniverseandonebrow.blogspot.com/

    Isaiah 1:18 -- Come now, and let us reason together

    Any habitual action, such as eating or dressing, may be performed on the appropriate occasion, without any need of thought, and the same seems to be true of a painfully large proportion of our talk. -- Bertrand Russell

  11. #10
    Senior Member Beantown's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Look outside your window
    Posts
    6,510
    Rep Power
    33
    Its also easy to beat people to death or bash there heads with a blunt object. Both very common as using a gun.
    GVC'S thoughts on the Jazz drafting Hayward......

    Quote Originally Posted by GVC View Post
    Why not just buy a late 1st and draft Luke Babbitt? Better Body, better basketball skills, better athleticism...

  12. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Metro East, St. Louis
    Posts
    7,335
    Rep Power
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by Beantown View Post
    Its also easy to beat people to death or bash there heads with a blunt object. Both very common as using a gun.
    I disagree that it is equally easy. Only one requires, at the very least, considerable force to be exerted.
    http://lifetheuniverseandonebrow.blogspot.com/

    Isaiah 1:18 -- Come now, and let us reason together

    Any habitual action, such as eating or dressing, may be performed on the appropriate occasion, without any need of thought, and the same seems to be true of a painfully large proportion of our talk. -- Bertrand Russell

  13. #12
    Free at last!!! bigb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Fathering Kanter's children
    Posts
    5,594
    Rep Power
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by Beantown View Post
    Its also easy to beat people to death or bash there heads with a blunt object. Both very common as using a gun.
    *their
    just sayin'

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •