Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Health issues

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by m3at View Post
    Im just wondering if anyone here has had pneumonia that eventually led to pleural effusion?

I was diagnosed with waking pneumonia October 18th. The dr gave me the zpack. After two weeks my symptoms grew worse, so the doc put me on levaquin. Again, two weeks and no improvement. Next up, amox for 10 days. With no improvement and low grade fevers since Nov 19th, two X-rays and a ct scan later, turns out I have a pleural effusion.

I'm still having low grade fevers off and on, but I actually feel really good and where I couldn't walk up the stairs in my house two weeks ago, it's now not a problem.

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.
    About 8 years ago, I had a similar experience. The eventual diagnosis was adult-onset asthma. Not pleasant, but there are worse things to deal with. In my case, low-grade allergies took a jump in intensity, it seems.
    http://lifetheuniverseandonebrow.blogspot.com/

Isaiah 1:18 -- Come now, and let us reason together

Any habitual action, such as eating or dressing, may be performed on the appropriate occasion, without any need of thought, and the same seems to be true of a painfully large proportion of our talk. -- Bertrand Russell

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by The Thriller View Post
    Get this fixed... PRONTO.

A few years ago I had a really bad case of pneumonia. I went in for x-rays to see if there was still crap in my lungs. Luckily, there wasn't. But that kind of stuff can be serious.

It started out as a sore throat at the start of December 09. Around Christmas the sore throat was basically gone but the cough had settled it. It had probably morphed into Bronchittis by that time. On New Years Eve, I couldn't stand it anymore so I went to the doctor after I couldn't sleep that night and struggled to breathe just to walk from the bathroom and back.... That's when I found out that I had pneumonia and was breathing at like 30 percent of what I should.

It took until Mid-March/April before I was able to exercise fully without chest pain or fatigue. And I really am Chuck Norris. For normal humans it might take 3-5 years to recover.

Are you using a humidifier in your room?
    I'm not using a humidifier. I tried one, but it seemed to make it harder to breathe for me. I'm actually breathing really well now, but I still have a pleural effusion. I see the lung dr. tomorrow morning. Man, I hope there are alternative methods to draining the fluid...the needle in the lung doesn't sound too appealing.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    And on a similar note, I have a knee and elbow scope tomorrow. Hazzah!
    BYU 1984 National Champs.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Update: my pleural effusion is pretty much gone, but I still have crap in my lungs. Did a bunch of blood tests for autoimmune, they came back positive. The lung doctor isn't sure what autoimmune disease I have so he's sending me to a rheumatologist next week.

I'm feeling much better in general but still have some limitations due to my lungs being full of crap.

Thanks everyone for all the support and kind words, I really appriciate it!

Banned
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Update: my pleural effusion is pretty much gone, but I still have crap in my lungs. Did a bunch of blood tests for autoimmune, they came back positive. The lung doctor isn't sure what autoimmune disease I have so he's sending me to a rheumatologist next week.

I'm feeling much better in general but still have some limitations due to my lungs being full of crap.

Thanks everyone for all the support and kind words, I really appriciate it!
    I'm totally not trying to be a dick but did they test for HIV/AIDS?

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp Rosetti View Post
    I'm totally not trying to be a dick but did they test for HIV/AIDS?

lol. I'm not sure whether they did or not. I'm not sure how I would get HIV/AIDS, I've been married for 14 years and my wife is the only person I've been intimate with and I'm the only person she's been intimate with.

edit: actually they did a cbc which came back normal.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    lol. I'm not sure whether they did or not. I'm not sure how I would get HIV/AIDS, I've been married for 14 years and my wife is the only person I've been intimate with and I'm the only person she's been intimate with.
    Ever use a public restroom or have a gay thought. That **** will mess you up!

Banned
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    well i saw the doc today like i said earlier in the thread and got some tests done. doc said possibility of ulcerative colitis or chrons disease (wth is that even) or even cancer. sucks bros. sucks pretty bad.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavenHarris View Post
    well i saw the doc today like i said earlier in the thread and got some tests done. doc said possibility of ulcerative colitis or chrons disease (wth is that even) or even cancer. sucks bros. sucks pretty bad.
    So you went to the doctor, got tests done, and the doc reports, "well, you might have an ulcer .. or maybe chrons .. or it could also be cancer.... see ya!"

BS, or get a new doc.
    #dumptruckin

Banned
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    well i got blood and stool tests done and yes that is what the doc told me. but not the "see ya" part. recommended i do a colonoscopy so we can get better samples and look at it up close and determine exactly what it is. so i did that today. turns out i have a rare form of ulcerative colitis. sucks. don't believe me if u want.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavenHarris View Post
    well i got blood and stool tests done and yes that is what the doc told me. but not the "see ya" part. recommended i do a colonoscopy so we can get better samples and look at it up close and determine exactly what it is. so i did that today. turns out i have a rare form of ulcerative colitis. sucks. don't believe me if u want.
    Dude, I'm sorry to hear this. That sucks. What are they going to do for you?

I just found out I have dermatomyositis, an autoimmune disease that attacks the muscles and skin and often affects the lungs.

Banned
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Dude, I'm sorry to hear this. That sucks. What are they going to do for you?

I just found out I have dermatomyositis, an autoimmune disease that attacks the muscles and skin and often affects the lungs.
    that sucks. i hope it all ends up well for you bro.
    im not sure how to answer ur question tbh. they gave me a crapload of meds. some very strong ones like vicodin and prednisone.

they also gave me some other meds which they said ill have to take for life. it's not curable, you can only try to manage it. i looked it up and less than .1% of the population has it per wikipedia...so i guess not a lot of research is being made to 'cure' it, like something like say cancer. sucks.

Banned
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    bro i just looked up dermatomyositis, i dont exactly understand it but i feel for u bro. it's also like my 'ulcerative colitis' and has no cure. sucks bro.
    are you in pain? what meds did they give you?
    im taking a **** load of pills. prednisone steroids. 2 anti biotics. 1 specifically for UC which is to be taken for life. and vicodin.
    i just started so i still have pretty much all of my syptoms but the vicodin is helpful. eventually ill be able to get off everything except the 1 UC med. hopefully. im thinking of asking my doc for something stronger than the vicodin tho mostly cuz UC sucks and that time of pain free is so suh weet. also i read on the internet that weed helps with UC. i wish it were legal here. ****.

Banned
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    bro i just looked up dermatomyositis, i dont exactly understand it but i feel for u bro. it's also like my 'ulcerative colitis' and has no cure. sucks bro.
    are you in pain? what meds did they give you?
    im taking a **** load of pills. prednisone steroids. 2 anti biotics. 1 specifically for UC which is to be taken for life. and vicodin.
    i just started so i still have pretty much all of my syptoms but the vicodin is helpful. eventually ill be able to get off everything except the 1 UC med. hopefully. im thinking of asking my doc for something stronger than the vicodin tho mostly cuz UC sucks and that time of pain free is so suh weet. also i read on the internet that weed helps with UC. i wish it were legal here. ****.

Banned
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    hey m3at bro just bumping this thread to see how u doing bro??
    im doing alot better, made alot of progress this week. this whole process has made me appreciate alot of the small things and relationships for real bro. having this sucks, but that's a big positive. hope everyone appreciates **** like that, u dont wanna be old and regret not appreciating the journey. im getting back to normal tho, excited to get out of the house and be up and around on a regular basis soon. prolly gonna be posting less often when i do, dutchjazzer is gonna be so happy lmao