Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power

Post Bench vs Starters (discussion thread)

check out the plus/minus stat, friends.
    http://www.nba.com/games/20121209/UT...s=iref:nbahpgt[0021200297]
    interesting? Discuss.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    For my money....
    Mo is way better than any of his backups.
    Foye is not as good as hayward. (and i think burks could be better than foye in the long run)
    Marvin is not as good as demarre.
    Millsap and favors are pretty close right now (when sap plays like he can), but favors will probably be better in the long run.
    Jefferson is a little better than kanter right now, but i think kanter will be better than jefferson in the long run.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by The Norm View Post
    This should've been a blow out. I'm disgusted with our starters for that garbage down the stretch. Check out these +/-'s

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400278017

And before any of you Jefferson/Corbin fans say "Well the Jazz bench was going against the Lakers bench", bull***. Only two Lakers starters had positive +/-'s (+1 and +2). Apply some simple logic and you'll see that our bench went against their starters quite often throughout the game.
    I'm assuming this thread stems from this post in the game thread. Norm makes a good point as Howard and Kobe played 43 and 42 min.

I thought Foye on Kobe was obvious. Kobe was calling for it as soon as Foye came in. On the flip side I thought Marvin did a great job on him early on. Kanter had a great game on both sides of the court.
    Chop it!!!

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Why does Foye, our worst wing defender, guard starting wings?

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by fishonjazz View Post
    For my money....
    Mo is way better than any of his backups.
    Foye is not as good as hayward. (and i think burks could be better than foye in the long run)
    Marvin is not as good as demarre.
    Millsap and favors are pretty close right now (when sap plays like he can), but favors will probably be better in the long run.
    Jefferson is a little better than kanter right now, but i think kanter will be better than jefferson in the long run.

mo starts cause he is obviously better......from there i think corbin decides it by age.

Foye is older than hayward.
    Marvin is older than demarre.
    Millsap older than favors.
    Jefferson older than kanter.
    All wings are older than burks so he never gets to play.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    starters tire the opposition and if u have a good bench, they take over the game. never changes.

David Locke: "Because what happens in this league is, people start shooting threes and they get soft and donít want contact and then they just stay out there all the time. Youíre not going to get soft, are you?"
    Enes Kanter: "I kind of live in the paint, man. Come on. I wonít get soft. Donít worry about that."

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by addictionary View Post
    starters tire the opposition and if u have a good bench, they take over the game. never changes.
    Thank goodness for our starters!
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggs View Post
    So I was very mad about the game, but I wasn't going to vent here, because you guys all feel the same way. However, Ty's postgame interview got my blood boiling. On why he let Trey and Gordon play while having bad games, "You gotta let them battle through it because that's what you gotta do." Really are you kidding me. You have to balls to say that when you pulled Alec after 16 minutes against LAC and Kanter got 19 minutes toinght?

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by addictionary View Post

Sooooo couldnt you just start the bench, which would tire the other teams starters, and then bring in our starters to take over the game?

Banned
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Sooooo couldnt you just start the bench, which would tire the other teams starters, and then bring in our starters to take over the game?
    interesting.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    that would be a gamble coz there is a reason why a player is starter and the other is not. jazz have a unique advantage because of their bench. if the starters can hold the opposition off for a decent level, the bench players like kanter, favors, carroll, watson, jamaal and so can out play the opposition and turn the game. I think it's the secret behind jazz'z success. but I'm not saying it's what it's meant to be, I mean most of them are also starter quality players.

David Locke: "Because what happens in this league is, people start shooting threes and they get soft and donít want contact and then they just stay out there all the time. Youíre not going to get soft, are you?"
    Enes Kanter: "I kind of live in the paint, man. Come on. I wonít get soft. Donít worry about that."

Banned
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    did you guys notice everyone in the starting line-up had a negative and everyone off the bench was a positive?

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavenHarris View Post
    did you guys notice everyone in the starting line-up had a negative and everyone off the bench was a positive?
    Its not that surprising. Lakers bench is god-awful, probably one of the worst in the league.

And their down two starters to boot, so they're playing 3rd stringers off an already bad bench.

Meanwhile, we have one of the better benches in the league.
    "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Lakers have one of the worst benches in the NBA, we have one of the better ones. We should be stomping them when the benches are playing each other.

Banned
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    cyrone and lunatic, don't disagree but its not like the benches just play against each other and the starters just play against the starters. it gets mixed and starters are playing bench players all the time. yet the plus/minus was pretty clear.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavenHarris View Post
    cyrone and lunatic, don't disagree but its not like the benches just play against each other and the starters just play against the starters. it gets mixed and starters are playing bench players all the time. yet the plus/minus was pretty clear.
    Sure there's a few minute overlap, but majority of the minutes they play together.
    "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed." - Dwight D. Eisenhower