Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32
  1. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    ban tower
    Posts
    4,376
    Total Rep Points
    0
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by MoTown16 View Post
    High 30's, low 40's is great from behind the arc. But there's no reason guards should be shooting 40% on their 2-PT FG's.
    but what about long 2s bro? those are almost like 3s. i dont think alot of guards shoot 40% near the rim

  2. #17
    I Like Warm Hugs Stifle Tower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Saving up for League Pass
    Posts
    14,912
    Total Rep Points
    26784
    Rep Adjustment Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavenHarris View Post
    but what about long 2s bro? those are almost like 3s. i dont think alot of guards shoot 40% near the rim
    Not sure what your argument is. Overall shooting percentage for Stockton was 51.5% and he hit 38.4% of his 3's. I don't think Stockton was much different than the guards today in the sense he took outside shots, but certainly had his share of driving layups. His efficiency was >>>>>>> most guards today.

    The Jazz consistently led the league/were one of the top teams in terms of Team FG% until the 2003-04 season. Jazz had a resurgence in 2006, but then slipped back the past couple of seasons, despite being a team that hasn't taken many 3's. To me, that says the biggest problem for the Jazz, offensively, is that the players just can't make shots. Right now the Jazz rank 11th in the league. We're not as athletic as many other teams and have virtually no players that can create scoring opportunitiesby themselves (notwithstanding the rise-up 3 from Mo). The offense MUST become more effective and guys have to start hitting their open looks. It's difficult to believe that, despite us thinking we have a huge advantage inside with our bigs, only Kanter has a FG% > 50%. That's sad for inside players. And our guards aren't that great either: Hayward and Foye at 42%, Mo at a respectable, but not great, 44% and our backup PG's in the 30's.

  3. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    9,541
    Total Rep Points
    4566
    Rep Adjustment Power
    33
    guards are flopping nowaydas.
    trying to draw a foul instead of trying to score the basket.
    that might take a few percentage point of the top
    01-21-2013
    I, HeavenHarris, hereby pledge to my fellow JFC'rs that I will no longer give out neg-reps. All it does is cause negative things, like fights, drama, bitching, ill will, bad feelings, etc.
    Love, not hate, is the answer bros and moes.

    LOL Lol breaks his pledge 5 days later hahahaha

  4. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    ban tower
    Posts
    4,376
    Total Rep Points
    0
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by MoTown16 View Post
    Not sure what your argument is. Overall shooting percentage for Stockton was 51.5% and he hit 38.4% of his 3's. I don't think Stockton was much different than the guards today in the sense he took outside shots, but certainly had his share of driving layups. His efficiency was >>>>>>> most guards today.

    The Jazz consistently led the league/were one of the top teams in terms of Team FG% until the 2003-04 season. Jazz had a resurgence in 2006, but then slipped back the past couple of seasons, despite being a team that hasn't taken many 3's. To me, that says the biggest problem for the Jazz, offensively, is that the players just can't make shots. Right now the Jazz rank 11th in the league. We're not as athletic as many other teams and have virtually no players that can create scoring opportunitiesby themselves (notwithstanding the rise-up 3 from Mo). The offense MUST become more effective and guys have to start hitting their open looks. It's difficult to believe that, despite us thinking we have a huge advantage inside with our bigs, only Kanter has a FG% > 50%. That's sad for inside players. And our guards aren't that great either: Hayward and Foye at 42%, Mo at a respectable, but not great, 44% and our backup PG's in the 30's.
    bro ur not comparing eras tho. ur comparing stockton, who is a HOF. to other average guys.
    of course Stock is gonna look better. He's a HOFer. There are HOF guards today too who have good shooting %s.

  5. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    ban tower
    Posts
    4,376
    Total Rep Points
    0
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DutchJazzer View Post
    guards are flopping nowaydas.
    trying to draw a foul instead of trying to score the basket.
    that might take a few percentage point of the top
    i think thats because of the rule changes. overall i think the rule changes have made the game better overall.
    but true flopping and trying to fool refs into calling something is a bad side effect.
    i think that is exactly why they are fining for flopping now. i think eventually the flopping rules will get stricter.

  6. #21
    Senior Member carolinajazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,727
    Total Rep Points
    -672
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DutchJazzer View Post
    guards are flopping nowaydas.
    trying to draw a foul instead of trying to score the basket.
    that might take a few percentage point of the top
    ....Dutch! wake up!!!....we're talking about shooting percentages, which would have no effect whatsoever on the guard drawing fouls on defense!

  7. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    9,541
    Total Rep Points
    4566
    Rep Adjustment Power
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by carolinajazz View Post
    ....Dutch! wake up!!!....we're talking about shooting percentages, which would have no effect whatsoever on the guard drawing fouls on defense!
    it DOES.
    sometimes you see a guard driving to the hoop. but start flailing there arm like AK. trying to draw a foul.
    problem with that is by flailing your arms there is no way you will socre the bucket. so if the foul is not called you miss the shot. whcih drops your percentage.
    if the foul is called you can't get a and1 which raises your fg%
    01-21-2013
    I, HeavenHarris, hereby pledge to my fellow JFC'rs that I will no longer give out neg-reps. All it does is cause negative things, like fights, drama, bitching, ill will, bad feelings, etc.
    Love, not hate, is the answer bros and moes.

    LOL Lol breaks his pledge 5 days later hahahaha

  8. #23
    Senior Member carolinajazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,727
    Total Rep Points
    -672
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavenHarris View Post
    why are today's players dumber than back in the good ol days tho bro?
    ...for various reasons. Number 1 probably is the fact that "old school" players of yesteryear had to play at least 3 sometimes 4 years of college ball before they could even GET IN the NBA! Obviously, a more polished player coming out of college would have more refined skills and brains than the slop dummies they draft out of 1 year of college these days or even out of high school! A second reason would be old school players had more respect for the game, worked harder at there trade and had less distractions to side tract them from being all they can be on the court. Old school players practiced shooting NOT dunks! They spent time watching film, studying opponents and just plain PRACTICING. Todays slop dummies spend more time at strip clubs, tattoo parlors and hanging out with gangsta rap homies! I'm sure if there are any other old school guys posting on this board they could add to this list......but this should suffice for now!

  9.  

     

  10. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    ban tower
    Posts
    4,376
    Total Rep Points
    0
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by carolinajazz View Post
    ...for various reasons. Number 1 probably is the fact that "old school" players of yesteryear had to play at least 3 sometimes 4 years of college ball before they could even GET IN the NBA! Obviously, a more polished player coming out of college would have more refined skills and brains than the slop dummies they draft out of 1 year of college these days or even out of high school! A second reason would be old school players had more respect for the game, worked harder at there trade and had less distractions to side tract them from being all they can be on the court. Old school players practiced shooting NOT dunks! They spent time watching film, studying opponents and just plain PRACTICING. Todays slop dummies spend more time at strip clubs, tattoo parlors and hanging out with gangsta rap homies! I'm sure if there are any other old school guys posting on this board they could add to this list......but this should suffice for now!


    ok. but i meant to ask "Why."
    like, why are todays players not practicing and instead going to strip clubs and listening to music. that stuff existed back then too right?
    do you think that the fact that there are now more ethnicities in the mix as being a possible factor?

  11. #25
    Senior Member carolinajazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,727
    Total Rep Points
    -672
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DutchJazzer View Post
    it DOES.
    sometimes you see a guard driving to the hoop. but start flailing there arm like AK. trying to draw a foul.
    problem with that is by flailing your arms there is no way you will socre the bucket. so if the foul is not called you miss the shot. whcih drops your percentage.
    if the foul is called you can't get a and1 which raises your fg%
    Dutch, you can only increase or decrease your shooting percentage by TAKING A SHOT, not by drawing a foul! Going to the free throw line is not a shot missed or a shot taken.

  12. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    9,541
    Total Rep Points
    4566
    Rep Adjustment Power
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by carolinajazz View Post
    Dutch, you can only increase or decrease your shooting percentage by TAKING A SHOT, not by drawing a foul! Going to the free throw line is not a shot missed or a shot taken.
    OMG.

    if you try to draw a foul, thereby missing THE SHOT and not getting a foul call. you wont go to the ft line and THE SHOT WILL BE NOTED AS A MISS on the boxscore.

    IF you MISS but get a FOUL your percentage STAYS THE SAME.


    if you score and get the foul you get a make on the boxscore(which increases your fg%) , but since your flopping flailing your arms this is less likely.

    overall the flopping(trying to draw a foul instead of trying to score) has an effect o n fg%.


    if you dont understand this it must be my bad english.

    amybe someone who gets what i say can translate it for you in jailhousetat english
    01-21-2013
    I, HeavenHarris, hereby pledge to my fellow JFC'rs that I will no longer give out neg-reps. All it does is cause negative things, like fights, drama, bitching, ill will, bad feelings, etc.
    Love, not hate, is the answer bros and moes.

    LOL Lol breaks his pledge 5 days later hahahaha

  13. #27
    Senior Member carolinajazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,727
    Total Rep Points
    -672
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavenHarris View Post
    ok. but i meant to ask "Why."
    like, why are todays players not practicing and instead going to strip clubs and listening to music. that stuff existed back then too right?
    do you think that the fact that there are now more ethnicities in the mix as being a possible factor?
    .....well, the money is so much greater now, too! These guys make more money in one game than some of the old school guys made in a whole year! There guaranteed contracts! So why PRACTICE??? They get on espn for dunking, not for shooting 55% from the field or making jumpshots! The games a mess. I don't want to talk about it anymore!!!

  14. #28
    Senior Member carolinajazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,727
    Total Rep Points
    -672
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DutchJazzer View Post
    OMG.

    if you try to draw a foul, thereby missing THE SHOT and not getting a foul call. you wont go to the ft line and THE SHOT WILL BE NOTED AS A MISS on the boxscore.

    IF you MISS but get a FOUL your percentage STAYS THE SAME.


    if you score and get the foul you get a make on the boxscore(which increases your fg%) , but since your flopping flailing your arms this is less likely.

    overall the flopping(trying to draw a foul instead of trying to score) has an effect o n fg%.


    if you dont understand this it must be my bad english.

    amybe someone who gets what i say can translate it for you in jailhousetat english
    ...if in fact, what you say is true....the percentage of change is miniscule at best. End of discussion!

  15. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    9,541
    Total Rep Points
    4566
    Rep Adjustment Power
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by carolinajazz View Post
    ...if in fact, what you say is true....the percentage of change is miniscule at best. End of discussion!
    miniscule?

    for ak it probably could be 5-8%
    01-21-2013
    I, HeavenHarris, hereby pledge to my fellow JFC'rs that I will no longer give out neg-reps. All it does is cause negative things, like fights, drama, bitching, ill will, bad feelings, etc.
    Love, not hate, is the answer bros and moes.

    LOL Lol breaks his pledge 5 days later hahahaha

  16. #30
    I Like Warm Hugs Stifle Tower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Saving up for League Pass
    Posts
    14,912
    Total Rep Points
    26784
    Rep Adjustment Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by DutchJazzer View Post
    miniscule?

    for ak it probably could be 5-8%
    Funny!
    I think any flopping/trying to draw a foul is more than offset by the the phantom contact that now gets a foul called. In the old days, you could hand guard, get in a guy's face and knock him off the dribble. Nowadays the ref will call a foul not just on hard contact, but if he thinks the other player can feel your breath.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •