Thread: Jamaal Tinsley

Rep Level

Jamaal Tinsley

I have to say, I haven't been this wrong about a Jazz player in a long time. I had serious doubts about him when the Jazz signed him a year ago.

First of all, when a man is described by Wikipedia as having "developed his game playing streetball at New York City's legendary Rucker Park," it does not exactly make me think "Utah Jazz." I've seen Tinsley play enough in this league to know what he's like. Flashy, cocky, turnover machine, poor shooter. Hell, and that was when he was actually young and in his prime. We were signing him from D-League. He hadn't played in the NBA for a year and a half. Now, yes, he was being signed as a third-string PG, but couldn't we have signed some young, hungry prospect a la DeMarre?

Then there's the rap sheet. http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=ca

Drugs, guns, Malice at the Palace. Even tattoos. So far, everything about him sounds like CarolinaJazz' worst nightmare. I know he was 33 at this point, but that doesn't stop a whole bunch of players(Marbury, AI, Francis) from being more messed up and immature now than when they were in their 20s. I honestly thought Tinsley would get cut before the end of January.

Here we are, though, just over a year to the date he was signed. Jamaal Tinsley has turned into a valuable veteran presence on the team, and a sort of leader for the second unit of younger guys. A sort of grey eminence, if you will. He's started 4 games this year, he's had 3 games of 10+ assists(two of those off the bench, and one in the ridiculous performance against Houston when he had 11 assists in 21 minutes), he's had his option picked up, and has being nothing short of a model professional. He's collecting DNPs more than he deserves and not a word of complaint. His body language while sitting on the bench in those DNPs has been extremely positive. He's the leader of the second unit when on the floor, and the biggest cheerleader when he's on the bench. He's still got some of his old flash and swagger, but not once did I think to myself "oh Lord, get Tinsley off the floor." Occasional dribble through the legs of a clueless stiff is no problem when you're putting up 10 assists per 36 minutes. I also cannot believe, when watching him off the court like here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8Fnsg2Wp5A that this is the same guy with the above rap sheet. If I read in the Trib that Jamaal was arrested tomorrow, I don't know if I'd believe it.

If someone told me a year ago that Harris would be traded but Tinsley would be starting games for us this month, I would've called them crazy. I'm glad I was wrong about Jamaal in nearly every way. He's been everything we could ask for in a third/second string PG. I don't know how he likes SLC and whether he's actually got a home there by now, but if the Jazz decided to offer him a role within the team somewhere(scouting? conditioning?) after he retires, that would be just fine with me.

Rep Level

Rep Level
    He's a very solid 10-12th guy off the bench who can also be a decent backup when it's called for. It's hard to complain about guys like Tinsley. Heck, even his 3 pointer is going in every now and then. And damn good point you made about his attitude, it is exceptional.

Rep Level
    Agree. When the Jazz signed Watson, I was all for it. But I raised my eyebrows when Tinsley (and Howard) were signed. Tinsley has been a very good addition and Howard was a model citizen last season, until the trade for Marvin and the improved play of Carroll made him expendable. Perhaps we've seen a bit of a change in players' attitudes about Utah. Not saying Salt Lake will ever be on the "A" list of guys like LeBron, CP3, Deron, etc., but perhaps seasoned vets and tier-2 FA's will think about playing for the Jazz.

Rep Level
    It's ******** Watson plays ahead of him.

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrone Torbin View Post
    It's ******** Watson plays ahead of him.

+1

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by MoTown16 View Post
    Perhaps we've seen a bit of a change in players' attitudes about Utah. Not saying Salt Lake will ever be on the "A" list of guys like LeBron, CP3, Deron, etc., but perhaps seasoned vets and tier-2 FA's will think about playing for the Jazz.
    I'm not going to speculate on personal goings-on in Jamaal's life, but it seems to me that he has matured in the past few years. For one, I can't really find anything bad about him character-wise after about 2007 or so. Perhaps he wanted to come here because he knew what the organization is like. In Utah, business is business. You don't have to worry about constant media attention, your teammates aren't stars of their own reality shows, the management has shown a steadfast willingness to dump stars instead of allowing media circuses(circii?) to be created, and your teammates don't think that supporting you in times of struggle means telling you publicly to "put your big boy pants on." Jamaal moved his last-game-played-in-the-NBA date by at least 3 years by signing with the Jazz. Josh Howard might have also extend his career by proving that he can be a serviceable 6th or 7th man with the Jazz.

I think that needs to become the Jazz management pitch to veteran FAs. Do you want to prolong your career by playing in a very stable, if unexciting setting or do you want to be playing for the Beijing Angry Dragons 2 years from now?

Rep Level
    Also:

Rep Level
    I like him and Watson.

Rep Level
    Even tattoos.
    Quote Originally Posted by every forum dreg
    I think he can play SF

Rep Level
    Seems like Corbin is playing either Watson or Tinsley based on the matchup. Tough, quick PG like Parker and his backup Mills? Go with Watson. Bad PGs with no offense like whatever the dreck in Laker land? Go with Tinsley.

And for the Watson haters, he rates better than Tinsley metrically at the moment, and most metrics don't count defense.

Quote Originally Posted by negative reputation giver
    youre inquires are tiresome