Page 1 of 101 1231151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 1510

Thread: Gun Control

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,434
    Total Rep Points
    2225
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0

    Gun Control

    With all of the recent gun violence, what is the sentiment on the board about Gun Control? I personally am beginning to think there is some merit to it.

  2.  

     

  3. #2
    Senior Member Hack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    in liquid hot lava
    Posts
    10,056
    Total Rep Points
    19635
    Rep Adjustment Power
    75
    This is a tough topic. Im all for our constitutional rights for many reasons. But on the other hand I dont care for guns at all. I dont own one, I never have, and I never will. I understand if someone feels safer with them though. Its a screwed up world we live in. But some people just have a disturbing fascination with them. I see it every where. People collect them for no other reason than just because they think it is cool.

    I think some control has to be in place. More so than what we already have. I dont really know what the solution is. I wish people would wake up and do some own personal gun controlling. How about limit yourself and stop buying all these guns you dont need. I think that guy who shot the kids did it with his moms registered guns.

    Even if you decided to round up all the guns and take away all rights, only law abiding citizens would comply. So that doesnt work.

    I think maybe the technology has to change. Maybe that the only way. You change over all legal guns to the types that can only be activated and used by the gun owner who has passes rigorous tests. And limit what you can have. The guns would have to be equipped with hand print technology. I realize that is a little scary too because what if you need it in an emergency and it fails on you. I actually think this is where it is going though. The rest of the guns would become useless because they would have to start a new type of ammunition and make it not work with old guns. That could probably solve that problem.

    I think this latest tragedy just might be the catalyst that puts this all in motion if its not already.

  4. #3
    Senior Member Scat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,435
    Total Rep Points
    6033
    Rep Adjustment Power
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by larryselbows View Post
    With all of the recent gun violence, what is the sentiment on the board about Gun Control? I personally am beginning to think there is some merit to it.
    The guns supposedly used in today's attack were SA 9mm pistols. Not assault riffles as has been the recent trend. What are you going to control? Everything but black powder riffles?

    Too add, there was also an attack at a school in China today where 22 students and a teacher were attacked. The weapon? A knife. Are we to start controlling knives as well?

    We need to figure out why people, young men seemingly, are deciding that shooting up a number of other people and then offing themselves is a viable choice to whatever is wrong in their lives.

  5. #4
    Moderator Stoked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southern Utah
    Posts
    20,714
    Total Rep Points
    24167
    Rep Adjustment Power
    94
    There boviously needs to be some control.

    I am for:
    Background checks
    Open carry
    Concealed carry with a permit.
    Required shooting course to get renew that permit. This course is for you to demonstrate that you are proficient with a firearm and are capable of properly shooting the weapon.


    This was a horrible tragedy. But if this guy was unable to get a gun he would have come up with something else. A knife, a bomb, run over people with his car...something. If a crazy person is set on killing then they will find a way.
    #BelieveInLindsey

  6. #5
    Senior Member Hack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    in liquid hot lava
    Posts
    10,056
    Total Rep Points
    19635
    Rep Adjustment Power
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by Scat View Post
    The guns supposedly used in today's attack were SA 9mm pistols. Not assault riffles as has been the recent trend. What are you going to control? Everything but black powder riffles?

    Too add, there was also an attack at a school in China today where 22 students and a teacher were attacked. The weapon? A knife. Are we to start controlling knives as well?

    We need to figure out why people, young men seemingly, are deciding that shooting up a number of other people and then offing themselves is a viable choice to whatever is wrong in their lives.
    I agree with this. I think its poverty. I think more than anything we need to find a way to solve poverty. Everyone doesnt need to be rich, but its a big problem when people are so upset about their lives and struggle so much with just surviving, let a lone living a happy life. I also think we have to take a look at our culture and figure out why we have so many screwed up teenage bullies. What are we teaching our children by our actions? Why do people feel the need to be rude to people for no reason, other than just because they arent cool enough for them.

  7. #6
    Senior Member Hack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    in liquid hot lava
    Posts
    10,056
    Total Rep Points
    19635
    Rep Adjustment Power
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoked View Post
    There boviously needs to be some control.

    I am for:
    Background checks
    Open carry
    Concealed carry with a permit.
    Required shooting course to get renew that permit. This course is for you to demonstrate that you are proficient with a firearm and are capable of properly shooting the weapon.


    This was a horrible tragedy. But if this guy was unable to get a gun he would have come up with something else. A knife, a bomb, run over people with his car...something. If a crazy person is set on killing then they will find a way.

    I dont think that is enough stoked. It sounds like exactly what we already have.

    I disagree with the idea that people will find another way to kill. Its not that easy for people to come up with another way that is as equally efficient as guns, and as readily available. Knife attack casualties arent the same. Its harder to kill as many. And bombs just arent that easy to make. Thats why you dont see a lot of bomb attacks.

  8. #7
    Senior Member Scat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,435
    Total Rep Points
    6033
    Rep Adjustment Power
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Hack View Post
    I agree with this. I think its poverty. I think more than anything we need to find a way to solve poverty. Everyone doesnt need to be rich, but its a big problem when people are so upset about their lives and struggle so much with just surviving, let a lone living a happy life. I also think we have to take a look at our culture and figure out why we have so many screwed up teenage bullies. What are we teaching our children by our actions? Why do people feel the need to be rude to people for no reason, other than just because they arent cool enough for them.
    I don't buy the poverty angle. The clown that shot up the theater had a well to do family and was at college on a scholarship. He seemingly had a bright future but chunked it up and was getting kicked out of college. He went off the deep end and I don't see where it had anything to do with money.

  9. #8
    Senior Member Scat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,435
    Total Rep Points
    6033
    Rep Adjustment Power
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Hack View Post
    And bombs just arent that easy to make. Thats why you dont see a lot of bomb attacks.
    Research what 5 gallons of diesel and a bag of ammonium sulfate (fertilizer) can do. Very easy to use and easily causes as much damage as today's tragedy.

  10. #9
    Moderator Stoked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southern Utah
    Posts
    20,714
    Total Rep Points
    24167
    Rep Adjustment Power
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by Hack View Post
    I dont think that is enough stoked. It sounds like exactly what we already have.

    I disagree with the idea that people will find another way to kill. Its not that easy for people to come up with another way that is as equally efficient as guns, and as readily available. Knife attack casualties arent the same. Its harder to kill as many. And bombs just arent that easy to make. Thats why you dont see a lot of bomb attacks.

    I disagree. I think we dont see alot as guns are easier to obtain. I wont get into what you can use to make bombs. You could make a dozen pipe bombs in an afternoon.
    #BelieveInLindsey

  11. #10
    Senior Member Hack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    in liquid hot lava
    Posts
    10,056
    Total Rep Points
    19635
    Rep Adjustment Power
    75
    Ok. So lets do nothing then. Just let it keep happening and say o well what do you do

  12. #11
    Moderator Stoked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southern Utah
    Posts
    20,714
    Total Rep Points
    24167
    Rep Adjustment Power
    94
    I do not think guns are the issue. Mentally troubled people is the issue.

    To reinforce this is the fact that Chicago had one of the strictest gun laws in the country. Chicago has had more homicides this year than American deaths in Afghanistan.
    #BelieveInLindsey

  13. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,434
    Total Rep Points
    2225
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    How Japan has eliminated virtually all shooting deaths

    I'm not advocating this extreme but just emphasizing that gun control does have an effect on the number of shooting deaths there are.

  14. #13
    Senior Member Hack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    in liquid hot lava
    Posts
    10,056
    Total Rep Points
    19635
    Rep Adjustment Power
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoked View Post
    I do not think guns are the issue. Mentally troubled people is the issue.

    To reinforce this is the fact that Chicago had one of the strictest gun laws in the country. Chicago has had more homicides this year than American deaths in Afghanistan.

    Whats more likely we can control/fix err how ever you want to put it, Guns or mental health?

    Im not advocating taking away someone's rights to protect themselves, but right now, the system is broke. It way too easy for anyone to get their hands on a gun. Like I said before. Maybe the solution lies in technology.

  15. #14
    Senior Member Red Jazz Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    180
    Total Rep Points
    229
    Rep Adjustment Power
    16
    I'll repeat what I said earlier in another thread...

    Sick people will find a way to do harm no matter the rules. Enacting stricter, more aggressive gun laws will only infringe on the rights of those who own and use them responsibly. Criminals circumvent the law. It's not rocket science!

  16. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    467
    Total Rep Points
    656
    Rep Adjustment Power
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by larryselbows View Post
    How Japan has eliminated virtually all shooting deaths

    I'm not advocating this extreme but just emphasizing that gun control does have an effect on the number of shooting deaths there are.
    I've lived in Japan for over 4 years. Guess who the only ones with guns are besides the police. Yep, the yakuza (mafia).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •