Page 8 of 101 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 1510

Thread: Gun Control

  1. #106
    Free at last!!! bigb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Fathering Kanter's children
    Posts
    5,731
    Total Rep Points
    8180
    Rep Adjustment Power
    44
    One important thing that I don't think has been mentioned in this thread (at least I don't recall seeing it):
    In this instance, the shooter didn't use his own weapons. So basically, he illegally obtained the guns he used.

  2. #107
    Senior Member fishonjazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    K-TOWN
    Posts
    16,426
    Total Rep Points
    36440
    Rep Adjustment Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by DutchJazzer View Post
    Good cus history proved:

    Banning Alcohol would just mean no more Drinking.
    Banning Mariuhana would just mean no more Smoking.
    Banning Cocaine Would just mean no more Sniffing.
    Banning Murder would just mean no more murdering.
    Banning child pornography means no more Sex with children.
    Banning Beastilaty means no more sex with animals.
    Banning terrorism means no more terror.



    yeah as history proves BANNING the symptom of something really works.


    When will we learn to attack the cause of something not the symptoms



    edit not that I compare pedophelia with alcohol drinking(just used some examples of banned stuff)
    I guess i shouldnt have said banning guns would mean no more shooting.... what i meant was that if all guns were gone, like had never existed, then there would be no more shooting.... basically a guns only function is to kill, while all the other means of murder have other uses.
    Knives are used for more than just killing, cars are used for more than just killing, the ingredients in bombs, ropes for hanging, etc etc all have more uses than just killing.

    Basically the perfect solution would be to not have any guns even available, however i know that is impossible so once again there is no answer on how to stop this kind of thing from happening... **** happens and we are all ****ed

  3. #108
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    9,235
    Total Rep Points
    3974
    Rep Adjustment Power
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by bigb View Post
    One important thing that I don't think has been mentioned in this thread (at least I don't recall seeing it):
    In this instance, the shooter didn't use his own weapons. So basically, he illegally obtained the guns he used.
    Great catch.
    01-21-2013
    I, HeavenHarris, hereby pledge to my fellow JFC'rs that I will no longer give out neg-reps. All it does is cause negative things, like fights, drama, bitching, ill will, bad feelings, etc.
    Love, not hate, is the answer bros and moes.

    LOL Lol breaks his pledge 5 days later hahahaha

  4. #109
    Senior Member Catchall's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    9,230
    Total Rep Points
    6463
    Rep Adjustment Power
    38
    In the case of a minor or unqualified person using a fire arm, I think the person who gave that assailant the fire arm should be held accountable for any consequences.

    Certain military-grade assault weapons should be banned for those who do not have an occupational need to have one.

    I don't think you can ban all guns rifles or handguns, however, and that would be an overreaction. It would be like banning automobiles because of a relatively small number of drunk drivers.

    My 2 cents. I don't own a weapon.
    Last edited by Catchall; 12-15-2012 at 04:22 PM.

  5. #110
    Senior Member fishonjazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    K-TOWN
    Posts
    16,426
    Total Rep Points
    36440
    Rep Adjustment Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by Catchall View Post
    In the case of a minor or unqualified person using a fire arm, I think the person who gave that assailant the fire arm should be held accountable for any consequences.

    Certain military-grade assault weapons should be banned for those who do not have an occupational need to have one.

    I don't think you can ban all guns rifles or handguns, however, and that would be an overreaction. It would be like banning automobiles because of a relatively small number of drunk drivers.

    My 2 cents. I don't own a weapon.

    Good post, im down with all of that.

  6. #111
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,434
    Total Rep Points
    2225
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    I agree with Gyp's post a little while back where he said we need more extensive psychiatric background checks on people.

  7. #112
    Senior Member Scat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,438
    Total Rep Points
    6073
    Rep Adjustment Power
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by larryselbows View Post
    I agree with Gyp's post a little while back where he said we need more extensive psychiatric background checks on people.
    That'll stop people who are trying to acquire a gun through retail channels. It wouldn't have helped with the CT shooting however. The shooter tried to buy a gun legally in the days just prior to the shooting but was refused so he used his mother's guns.

    Nor would it help with guns purchased like this...

    http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=231...ults=12&sort=5

    ... no background check needed.

  8. #113
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    9,235
    Total Rep Points
    3974
    Rep Adjustment Power
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by larryselbows View Post
    I agree with Gyp's post a little while back where he said we need more extensive psychiatric background checks on people.
    it still wouldnt have stopped this shooting.
    His mother might have passed the pscyh test.
    so it doesnt matter what the shooters psych test was
    01-21-2013
    I, HeavenHarris, hereby pledge to my fellow JFC'rs that I will no longer give out neg-reps. All it does is cause negative things, like fights, drama, bitching, ill will, bad feelings, etc.
    Love, not hate, is the answer bros and moes.

    LOL Lol breaks his pledge 5 days later hahahaha

  9. #114
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,434
    Total Rep Points
    2225
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Scat View Post
    That'll stop people who are trying to acquire a gun through retail channels. It wouldn't have helped with the CT shooting however. The shooter tried to buy a gun legally in the days just prior to the shooting but was refused so he used his mother's guns.

    Nor would it help with guns purchased like this...

    http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=231...ults=12&sort=5

    ... no background check needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by DutchJazzer View Post
    it still wouldnt have stopped this shooting.
    His mother might have passed the pscyh test.
    so it doesnt matter what the shooters psych test was
    You guys make good points and you're probably right, it wouldn't have stopped the Newtowne shooting. I hate to say it though, it seems more and more like nothing but resolute gun control could have stopped this shooting.

  10. #115
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,434
    Total Rep Points
    2225
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by larryselbows View Post
    You guys make good points and you're probably right, it wouldn't have stopped the Newtowne shooting. I hate to say it though, it seems more and more like nothing but resolute gun control could have stopped this shooting.
    ... or maybe we just chalk it up to "**** happens" and just leave things as they are. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with either option.

  11. #116
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In a ghetto near you. . . .
    Posts
    5,297
    Total Rep Points
    10310
    Rep Adjustment Power
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by fishonjazz View Post
    I guess i shouldnt have said banning guns would mean no more shooting.... what i meant was that if all guns were gone, like had never existed, then there would be no more shooting.... basically a guns only function is to kill, while all the other means of murder have other uses.
    Knives are used for more than just killing, cars are used for more than just killing, the ingredients in bombs, ropes for hanging, etc etc all have more uses than just killing.

    Basically the perfect solution would be to not have any guns even available, however i know that is impossible so once again there is no answer on how to stop this kind of thing from happening... **** happens and we are all ****ed
    there's an old saw. . . . I mean hammer. . . . that goes. . . . "If the only tool you've got is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. . . . "

    In a nuclear age the focus on guns is anachronistic, just as moral preaching is in our day of global Nietzschian mass culture.

    the shooters are victims of their times, and nobody but God can save us from them.

    and by that I mean belief by the mass of society in a higher being and a mass conviction once again in a basic form of personal virtue and accountability.

    Dostoyevsky wrote volumes on this theme, and was a popular author whose writing was all along this theme. . . in Russia. . . . before the Bolsheviks took over, and for a hundred years the Russians have not generally understood him, even with the advantage of reading him in their own Russian language. . . .

  12. #117
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tabor Heights
    Posts
    12,581
    Total Rep Points
    4891
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bordelais7 View Post
    It wasn't meant as much to be the strongest example as I could find as it was to make Thriller look like the moron that he is. 20 years ago, most states wouldn't have allowed the guy to carry.

    And I think you are being far too confident in the ability to use testing, training, and examinations to determine whether people would be safe or unsafe gun carriers. If you think mental exams would have stopped any of the school shooters from owning, I'll bet you're wrong -- most of these people are quite mentally sound. On the other side of the coin, many cops have frozen or acted unpredictably when situations arose, despite extensive training. The lines between "professional" and "joe schmoe" aren't as clear as you're making them out to be.

    As far the off-duty officer in this example, he later served 90 days for failing to control his "gun" with two separate minors, and resigned amid harassment claims from others at work as well as "use of excessive force" in on-duty situations. So if "makes good decisions" or "uses good judgment" or "exhibits control" or "doesn't lose temper" or "good guy" is among your criteria for ownership or carrying, he probably should have been eliminated.

    As for other "strong" examples, use the internets. There are plenty. They don't get as much pub or don't stick in your memory as much because generally dozens of people don't die. It's impossible to know what would have happened at Trolley Square had Hammond not been there, but reports indicate between a minute and 1:15 between the time he got involved and the time help arrived. Not too hard to imagine what an armed man in a crowded mall could do in that time.
    I don't really have a dog in the fight with your packing argument with Thriller so I'll trust you there. However, I stand by my mental health evaluations/references comments. I don't expect it to stop gun violence. Obviously. I'd have to be insanely naive to think so. But like any tighter regulations we have in society, it may be a deterrent and prevent a situation like we had in AZ where that silly **** was quite obviously as looney as a toon and never should have had one. With no mental health evaluation/references in place, Loughner was able to buy a gun just six weeks earlier. However, the morning of the shooting, a freakin' Walmart clerk had enough common sense not to sell him ammo because the dude just seemed off.

    Yes, there will be many situations where these jerkoffs will find a gun regardless. But not in every case. There will be instances where some frustrated **** wants to fly off the handle and get a gun, won't be able to because he'll fail the mental health/references stage of the process, by which time he'll have cooled off anyway and wonder what the hell he was ever thinking to begin with. Or where, a major red flag may come up, like it very likely may have in Loughner's case, and in essence, homicides can be prevented.

    Listen, some people just go to gun ranges. But at the end of the day, a gun is designed for one purpose. To kill or at least severely injure. I don't think it's asking a lot to make sure that people who purchase such WEAPONS are not crazy ****s.
    Last edited by Gyp Rosetti; 12-16-2012 at 09:08 AM.

  13. #118
    the Chief Old D'oh moevillini's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Kansas Central University Fieldhouse
    Posts
    6,742
    Total Rep Points
    10994
    Rep Adjustment Power
    53
    From The New York Times:

    A Mother, a Gun Enthusiast and the First Victim

    Nancy Lanza loved guns, and it was one from her collection that was apparently used to take her life Friday, when her son went on a shooting rampage.

    http://nyti.ms/SvmWX9

    http://nyti.ms/SvmWX9

    apparently the mom was quite proud of her gun collection and frequently took her sons to shooting ranges near their home
    a blast from the past... http://www.freepennystockalerts.com/

  14. #119
    Moderator Stoked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southern Utah
    Posts
    20,868
    Total Rep Points
    24747
    Rep Adjustment Power
    96
    Now there have been two shootings in Alabama, 1 at the Excalibur in Vegas and 1 at Fort Hood TX since the CT school shooting. They have left 6-8 more people dead.

    Jesus Christ. Also the cops arrested a teen in OK that was plotting to bomb and shoot people at his school the same day as the CT shooting.
    #BelieveInLindsey

  15. #120
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tabor Heights
    Posts
    12,581
    Total Rep Points
    4891
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoked View Post
    Now there have been two shootings in Alabama, 1 at the Excalibur in Vegas and 1 at Fort Hood TX since the CT school shooting. They have left 6-8 more people dead.

    Jesus Christ. Also the cops arrested a teen in OK that was plotting to bomb and shoot people at his school the same day as the CT shooting.
    Not sure what the laws currently are like but maybe all of this will result in much harsher jail time for crazy, gun wielding ****s.

  16.  

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •