Page 11 of 101 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 1510

Thread: Gun Control

  1. #151
    Senior Member NUMBERICA's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    13,340
    Total Rep Points
    15639
    Rep Adjustment Power
    70
    Gonna keep ranting:

    That something CAN do good does not mean that it WILL do good. It's all about balance. Is there any possible way giving lunatics and morons deadly force with extreme ease a net positive?
    Quote Originally Posted by every forum dreg
    I think he can play SF

  2. #152
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tabor Heights
    Posts
    12,581
    Total Rep Points
    4891
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by NUMBERICA View Post
    Gonna keep ranting:

    That something CAN do good does not mean that it WILL do good. It's all about balance. Is there any possible way giving lunatics and morons deadly force with extreme ease a net positive?
    Stop, just stop. Virtually everyone on here who owns a gun has needed it to defend their home at some point. Life or death, man.

  3. #153
    the Chief Old D'oh moevillini's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Praying for whirled peas
    Posts
    6,932
    Total Rep Points
    11965
    Rep Adjustment Power
    56
    If anything is done, it has to be a multifaceted approach. Just blaming these incidents on mental illness is about as useful as saying "Guns don't kill, people kill". I'd like to see more done along the lines of what's taken place over the last 25 years with cigarette smoking and drunk driving. Personally I'd like to ban certain weapons and ammo altogether, but aside from that, how about a campaign to make certain behaviors more socially unacceptable - like using certain extremely destructive ammunition, keeping guns unsecured and easily accessible to other family members, ban advertising for certain types of weapons and ammunition, stuff like that. Folks would absolutely howl, but if it could be done for smoking, why not?

    And I know this is going to sound like the old fogey that I am, but does anyone else think there might be some connection to violent video games and movies? What typically is the target audience for those? What is the typical demographic of these mass murderers? Again, we need to do more to make these things negative influences more socially unacceptable so young people will be less exposed to that level of violence.
    a blast from the past...
    http://www.freepennystockalerts.com/

  4. #154
    Senior Member Scat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,442
    Total Rep Points
    6099
    Rep Adjustment Power
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by NUMBERICA View Post
    Let me clarify: To need guns to defend against guns is not an argument that guns are good.
    To need legs to run away from somebody that is chasing you is not an argument that having legs is good.

  5. #155
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tabor Heights
    Posts
    12,581
    Total Rep Points
    4891
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Scat View Post
    To need legs to run away from somebody that is chasing you is not an argument that having legs is good.
    Legs themselves will not kill someone. The bullets from the gun will.

  6. #156
    Senior Member NUMBERICA's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    13,340
    Total Rep Points
    15639
    Rep Adjustment Power
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Scat View Post
    To need legs to run away from somebody that is chasing you is not an argument that having legs is good.
    Are you trying to make a bad argument, or are you just as misguided and stupid as I know you are?
    Quote Originally Posted by every forum dreg
    I think he can play SF

  7. #157
    Senior Member NUMBERICA's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    13,340
    Total Rep Points
    15639
    Rep Adjustment Power
    70
    Let's get to the real issue here: There isn't enough god in schools.

    I decided I'd bring the heat for Scat.
    Quote Originally Posted by every forum dreg
    I think he can play SF

  8. #158
    Senior Member Scat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,442
    Total Rep Points
    6099
    Rep Adjustment Power
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp Rosetti View Post
    Legs themselves will not kill someone. The bullets from the gun will.
    So it's the bullets that need to be banned, not guns?

  9. #159
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tabor Heights
    Posts
    12,581
    Total Rep Points
    4891
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Scat View Post
    So it's the bullets that need to be banned, not guns?
    Way to deflect and prolong such gun-toting idiocy.

  10. #160
    Senior Member NUMBERICA's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    13,340
    Total Rep Points
    15639
    Rep Adjustment Power
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Scat View Post
    So it's the bullets that need to be banned, not guns?
    Yeah man! BOOM! Look out, Scat is on the war path!
    Quote Originally Posted by every forum dreg
    I think he can play SF

  11. #161
    Senior Member franklin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Drinkin haterade, ridin the hate train through hateville
    Posts
    13,098
    Total Rep Points
    31405
    Rep Adjustment Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by moevillini View Post
    If anything is done, it has to be a multifaceted approach. Just blaming these incidents on mental illness is about as useful as saying "Guns don't kill, people kill". I'd like to see more done along the lines of what's taken place over the last 25 years with cigarette smoking and drunk driving. Personally I'd like to ban certain weapons and ammo altogether, but aside from that, how about a campaign to make certain behaviors more socially unacceptable - like using certain extremely destructive ammunition, keeping guns unsecured and easily accessible to other family members, ban advertising for certain types of weapons and ammunition, stuff like that. Folks would absolutely howl, but if it could be done for smoking, why not?
    I don't think that's much of an issue outside the NRA types.



    Quote Originally Posted by moevillini View Post
    And I know this is going to sound like the old fogey that I am, but does anyone else think there might be some connection to violent video games and movies? What typically is the target audience for those? What is the typical demographic of these mass murderers? Again, we need to do more to make these things negative influences more socially unacceptable so young people will be less exposed to that level of violence.
    I don't buy the video game line one bit. No offense of course, but it's the same old narative that was pushed after printing presses led to kids getting sucked into story books. I don't envision people being so terrible to be influenced by a little fantasy. Video games or a kid using an imagination on a paper route, it's all the same. We had comics then, video games now. There isn't a difference to why they're attractive. It's all mental fantasy and stimulation.

    The issue with these mass murders is entirely psychological. These folks are pushed to some edge by society, whether real or perceived. If I were to take a compasionate route then I'd look to culture not only alienating these people but going far enough to make them feel like detached deamons.
    No Mediocrity

  12. #162
    Senior Member Scat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,442
    Total Rep Points
    6099
    Rep Adjustment Power
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by NUMBERICA View Post
    Are you trying to make a bad argument, or are you just as misguided and stupid as I know you are?
    I'm just mimicking your argument.

    Let's get to the real issue here: There isn't enough god in schools.

    I decided I'd bring the heat for Scat.
    On no! Not the heat!! What does this have anything to do with gun control. Misguided and stupid indeed.

  13.  

     

  14. #163
    Senior Member Scat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,442
    Total Rep Points
    6099
    Rep Adjustment Power
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by NUMBERICA View Post
    Yeah man! BOOM! Look out, Scat is on the war path!
    Says the point man on the war path.

  15. #164
    Senior Member NUMBERICA's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    13,340
    Total Rep Points
    15639
    Rep Adjustment Power
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Scat View Post
    I'm just mimicking your argument.
    Oh ****! "I know you are but what am I"? Compelling stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by every forum dreg
    I think he can play SF

  16. #165
    Senior Member franklin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Drinkin haterade, ridin the hate train through hateville
    Posts
    13,098
    Total Rep Points
    31405
    Rep Adjustment Power
    100
    NUMB & Gyp tag team trolling the hell out of this thread.

    .

    When Salty has to push an agenda, Salty has to push an agenda.
    No Mediocrity

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •