Page 25 of 101 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Control

Quote Originally Posted by LiemD View Post
    someone suggested earlier that there would be a civil war if the govt tries to take peoples guns away. Why do people think they can fight back against the govt? I've never heard of anyone taking on the govt and winning...
    Many people will not give up their guns. That will lead to arrests and shootings. Then I think you will have families and friends start banding together in attempt to prevent their guns from being confiscated. Then it gets to the point where the local police force refuses to confiscate the arms because it is to risky and they are fighting their own people.

Then the military/national guard would have to get involved. If they had them confiscate the guns in their own areas and potential shoot people they know then you would see mass refusals and defections. If they were moved around say a National Guard unit from Maryland working Utah then the defections and refusals would lessen but you would still have military personnel, many of who are private gun owners anyways, refusing to carry out the orders.

So in short it is not like it would be private citizens v. an intact government. It would be those for taking the guns v. those agaisnt it.

well that post certainly justifies something

now that we know the doomsday scenario, can't we just lock this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Scat View Post
    Too add, there was also an attack at a school in China today where 22 students and a teacher were attacked. The weapon? A knife. Are we to start controlling knives as well?
    I heard about that attack. Everyone survived, last I heard. So, if I had to choose between these men carrying guns and carrying knives, I'd vote for knives.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/14/world/...ack/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Scat View Post
    Research what 5 gallons of diesel and a bag of ammonium sulfate (fertilizer) can do. Very easy to use and easily causes as much damage as today's tragedy.
    If you don't have experience in making bombs, it's not that easy to get it to blow up when you want it too. Recently, I recall many more cases of failed bombings that actual bombings.
    http://lifetheuniverseandonebrow.blogspot.com/

Isaiah 1:18 -- Come now, and let us reason together

Any habitual action, such as eating or dressing, may be performed on the appropriate occasion, without any need of thought, and the same seems to be true of a painfully large proportion of our talk. -- Bertrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by moevillini View Post
    well that post certainly justifies something

now that we know the doomsday scenario, can't we just lock this thread?
    That is what I think would happen if the government tried to confiscate all guns. I could be compeltely wrong but that is what I think would happen.

The governemnt will not make that order so I am not worried about it. Personally I agree with Candrew. A few laws will be passed/renewed (such as the assault weapons ban) but they will expire within a dozen years and nothing will be truly accomplished.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoked View Post
    That is what I think would happen if the government tried to confiscate all guns. I could be compeltely wrong but that is what I think would happen.

The governemnt will not make that order so I am not worried about it. Personally I agree with Candrew. A few laws will be passed/renewed (such as the assault weapons ban) but they will expire within a dozen years and nothing will be truly accomplished.
    I agree with all of this.

Too big a deal is being made by a bunch of paranoid people.

Quote Originally Posted by fishonjazz View Post
    I agree with all of this.

Too big a deal is being made by a bunch of paranoid people.
    My take is that if nobody was fighting against it the laws would be much worse.

An I paranoid? Or are you naive?

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
    My take is that if nobody was fighting against it the laws would be much worse.

An I paranoid? Or are you naive?
    Probably a little of both

Drinkin haterade, ridin the hate train through hateville
    You're not taking our guns. /thread

The NRA just called for an armed officer/guard in schools.

The New York Times just tried to rip them a new one and argues that doing so only furthers the problem and is a very bad idea.

The New York Times just tried to rip them a new one and argues that doing so only furthers the problem and is a very bad idea.
    Well it's about time the other side of this debate finally hit the national media.

Interesting chart:

Quote Originally Posted by franklin View Post
    You're not taking our guns. /thread

Yes huh? Im coming for your guns. You will give them up.

I like this idea of having armed officers or guards in schools... the hard part about it would be how to fund it.
    Maybe make a gun tax on all guns sold or on concealed licenses and have all the money from the tax go towards paying for these officers.

Or legalize marijuana and use money from pot sales to pay for it.

I also saw that there is talk of legislation to make it illegal to sell guns privately like on ksl and at gun shows (no background checks).... I think this is a good idea as well.

Quote Originally Posted by fishonjazz View Post
    I also saw that there is talk of legislation to make it illegal to sell guns privately like on ksl and at gun shows (no background checks).... I think this is a good idea as well.
    I don't see what good adding more regulations to private sales will do. Let's not get carried away, this nutjob didn't buy his guns off ksl or a gun show. He stole them from his mom.