Page 26 of 101 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast
Results 376 to 390 of 1510

Thread: Gun Control

  1. #376
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    St George, UT
    Posts
    546
    Total Rep Points
    274
    Rep Adjustment Power
    17
    1. Banning guns won't help anyone.
    2. There is no such thing as a "assault weapon" Every gun is an "assault weapon" I don't care if its a .22 or AK47. It can kill.
    3. Drugs are illegal. People still get them. Criminals will still get there hands on guns and shoot everyone up like a shooting gallery

    That is all.

  2. #377
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    St George, UT
    Posts
    546
    Total Rep Points
    274
    Rep Adjustment Power
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by One Brow View Post
    I heard about that attack. Everyone survived, last I heard. So, if I had to choose between these men carrying guns and carrying knives, I'd vote for knives.

    http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/14/world/...ack/index.html



    If you don't have experience in making bombs, it's not that easy to get it to blow up when you want it too. Recently, I recall many more cases of failed bombings that actual bombings.
    Ugh.. put gunpowder in a closed common household container, light fuse and throw.... Yeah real hard.

  3. #378
    Senior Member fishonjazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    K-TOWN
    Posts
    17,503
    Total Rep Points
    39507
    Rep Adjustment Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
    I don't see what good adding more regulations to private sales will do. Let's not get carried away, this nutjob didn't buy his guns off ksl or a gun show. He stole them from his mom.
    It wouldn't have helped in that particular shooting (unless her mom had bought the guns from a privat seller) but i think it could help to stop some crimes in the future.

  4. #379
    Senior Member fishonjazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    K-TOWN
    Posts
    17,503
    Total Rep Points
    39507
    Rep Adjustment Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by reignman40 View Post
    1. Banning guns won't help anyone.
    2. There is no such thing as a "assault weapon" Every gun is an "assault weapon" I don't care if its a .22 or AK47. It can kill.
    3. Drugs are illegal. People still get them. Criminals will still get there hands on guns and shoot everyone up like a shooting gallery

    That is all.
    If it becomes against the law for websites like ksl and gun shows to sell guns without background checks, then criminals will still be able to get guns, but it will make it a little more difficult for them by taking away that 1 option.

  5.  

     

  6. #380
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,831
    Total Rep Points
    1026
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by fishonjazz View Post
    It wouldn't have helped in that particular shooting (unless her mom had bought the guns from a privat seller) but i think it could help to stop some crimes in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by fishonjazz View Post
    If it becomes against the law for websites like ksl and gun shows to sell guns without background checks, then criminals will still be able to get guns, but it will make it a little more difficult for them by taking away that 1 option.
    It's not really a complete thought unless we mention that 1 option in question hasn't historically been a problem.

  7. #381
    Senior Member Scat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,445
    Total Rep Points
    6099
    Rep Adjustment Power
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by Duck Rodgers View Post
    Interesting chart:

    Who was it that was arguing with me that body parts, legs in particular don't kill?

  8. #382
    Senior Member fishonjazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    K-TOWN
    Posts
    17,503
    Total Rep Points
    39507
    Rep Adjustment Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
    It's not really a complete thought unless we mention that 1 option in question hasn't historically been a problem.
    Point is that it is better (maybe even by the tiniest amount) to give criminals less options to obtain guns.

  9. #383
    High Definition Gameface's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,221
    Total Rep Points
    3856
    Rep Adjustment Power
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by fishonjazz View Post
    It wouldn't have helped in that particular shooting (unless her mom had bought the guns from a privat seller) but i think it could help to stop some crimes in the future.
    I'm not seeing it.

    I've sold several guns on KSL. For certain guns I would only sell to people with a concealed carry license. But I've also sold guns without checking ID at all.

    On the other hand I've never bought a gun on KSL. I take good care of my guns and when I want a gun I want something in perfect condition.

    The thing is, these guns are a tool. Maybe to you a tool of terror and destruction, but not to me. If I'm not interested in shooting a gun and maintaining a high level of familiarity with it I don't want it. I'm not a gun collector and I'm not interested in stockpiling weapons. So I figure pass it along to someone who has an interest in it.

    If I was going to sell a gun today (and I was actually considering selling a few guns before all this went down, and planned on listing them on KSL) I would go to a pawn shop and get about half what I think I would get selling on KSL. So while in my opinion this moratorium on gun ads will accomplish nothing to stop gun violence it will lower the value of guns privately owned in Utah to the detriment of honest law abiding citizens, while raising the price of used guns for someone looking to buy. I don't expect you to have any compassion for us. But this hit that we're taking is to provide people with emotional relief and will not change reality one bit. Just like regulating types of ammo, amount of ammo a person can buy, or the size of ammo magazines. It changes nothing as far as gun violence, but does affect people's ability to enjoy shooting and therefore do it often and be well practiced in the use of the firearms they own.

    Safety and competence is important to me. The effectiveness of my firearms in the event of a crisis is also important to me. It may seem like nothing to anti-gun folks to make it harder and more expensive to practice the proper use of the firearms I own, but it matters to me, a lot. I also don't want arbitrary regulations that don't do anything to stop crime to make my firearms less effective in an extreme situation.

    I'm not paranoid. I don't sit with a gun in my lap licking my lips waiting for a perp to bust through my front door so I can put a notch in my holster for my first kill, but I've been in a situation where a tweaked-out meth-head has actually busted through my front door all freaked out after his meth lab blew up. I was 19 at the time and visiting my dad so we could watch a Jazz game. My father retrieved his handgun and had it in a holster on his hip in about 20 seconds. The tweaker, who claimed he had been attacked and that people were chasing him, noticed the firearm and became much more cooperative. I don't know what might have happened. Probably not much more. My father and I could have taken the guy, but he had just run from a blown up meth lab, then broken into an old woman's house and stolen her keys and taken her van on a wild ride through town before crashing it into a tree in my neighbors front yard. He was scared and desperate. But when he realized my father was armed he did what we told him and waited for the police to arrive. In that situation the gun was not just something made for killing. It was a tool that allowed my father to protect his family and control a situation without anyone getting hurt. Several minutes later the police and an ambulance arrived and the tweaker was taken to the hospital in handcuffs.

    About ten years later, on Dec. 8th 2005 my father used that same handgun to shot himself in the head and end his life.

    Anyway, I know first hand that guns can do good and they can do harm. We don't live in a perfect world. We're never going to. If you pull the covers over your head it doesn't protect you from evil. That's all these silly regulations are, just covers we're going to pull over our heads and hope the boogey man goes away.

  10. #384
    Senior Member fishonjazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    K-TOWN
    Posts
    17,503
    Total Rep Points
    39507
    Rep Adjustment Power
    100
    I will give a few scenarios to illustrate that how stopping private sales COULD decrease some crimes.

    For example: Lets say hypothetically i just got out of prison after a 10 year sentence for armed robbery and i want to rob bank with a gun, but i dont know hardly any people around anymore since i have been in prison for the last 10 years.

    Scenario #1- zero gun control laws: I walk to wallmart (theres one right by my house) buy a gun, and proceed to the bank and attempt the robbery.... Pretty damn easy. didn't even need a car in this case.

    Scenario #2-Most stores require background checks but there are places such as ksl or gun shows that dont: I cant pass a background check so i cant buy at wallmart now. So I have to find a computer to get onto and go onto ksl and locate someone who will sell me a gun. I drive over to the gun owners house and buy the gun. Then proceed to the bank and attempt the robbery... still pretty easy but in this case there are a few more steps and now i have to drive so there is the added risk that i get pulled over after the gun purchase and get busted so i never get to rob the bank. Unlikely but possible.

    Scenario #3- Can no longer buy from private dealers: Now i have basically 2 options. Option 1: i decide to steal a gun from someone. Now in this case there is a chance that a homeowner shoots me when i break into the home, or i steal the gun but it isn't loaded and i dont have bullets, or someone sees me breaking in and calls the cops and im busted. Lots of ways for this plan to fail, but still a decent chance that i aquire the gun without problem as well.
    Option 2: buy from the black market. Now i have to find this black market and assuming i can find it, then i have to purchase the gun from a fellow criminal who may be a bad guy who decides to rob me when i show up to buy, or maybe he shoots me and takes my money. Now there is still a decent chance that i come away with a gun and rob the bank.

    So scenario 1 was the easiest scenario for me. No problem piece of cake, the bank gets robbed.

    Scenario 2 was still pretty damn easy but not as easy as scenario 1. (i needed a car, and internet access, but still quite easy)

    Scenario 3 was still not extremely hard, but definately had the most risk/danger involved.

    For sure criminals will always be able to get thier hands on guns, but it seems like a good idea to make it more difficult for them to do so because some of the time, some of them will fail due to the extra difficulties involved with scenario 3

  11. #385
    Senior Member fishonjazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    K-TOWN
    Posts
    17,503
    Total Rep Points
    39507
    Rep Adjustment Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameface View Post
    I'm not seeing it.

    I've sold several guns on KSL. For certain guns I would only sell to people with a concealed carry license. But I've also sold guns without checking ID at all.

    On the other hand I've never bought a gun on KSL. I take good care of my guns and when I want a gun I want something in perfect condition.

    The thing is, these guns are a tool. Maybe to you a tool of terror and destruction, but not to me. If I'm not interested in shooting a gun and maintaining a high level of familiarity with it I don't want it. I'm not a gun collector and I'm not interested in stockpiling weapons. So I figure pass it along to someone who has an interest in it.

    If I was going to sell a gun today (and I was actually considering selling a few guns before all this went down, and planned on listing them on KSL) I would go to a pawn shop and get about half what I think I would get selling on KSL. So while in my opinion this moratorium on gun ads will accomplish nothing to stop gun violence it will lower the value of guns privately owned in Utah to the detriment of honest law abiding citizens, while raising the price of used guns for someone looking to buy. I don't expect you to have any compassion for us. But this hit that we're taking is to provide people with emotional relief and will not change reality one bit. Just like regulating types of ammo, amount of ammo a person can buy, or the size of ammo magazines. It changes nothing as far as gun violence, but does affect people's ability to enjoy shooting and therefore do it often and be well practiced in the use of the firearms they own.

    Safety and competence is important to me. The effectiveness of my firearms in the event of a crisis is also important to me. It may seem like nothing to anti-gun folks to make it harder and more expensive to practice the proper use of the firearms I own, but it matters to me, a lot. I also don't want arbitrary regulations that don't do anything to stop crime to make my firearms less effective in an extreme situation.

    I'm not paranoid. I don't sit with a gun in my lap licking my lips waiting for a perp to bust through my front door so I can put a notch in my holster for my first kill, but I've been in a situation where a tweaked-out meth-head has actually busted through my front door all freaked out after his meth lab blew up. I was 19 at the time and visiting my dad so we could watch a Jazz game. My father retrieved his handgun and had it in a holster on his hip in about 20 seconds. The tweaker, who claimed he had been attacked and that people were chasing him, noticed the firearm and became much more cooperative. I don't know what might have happened. Probably not much more. My father and I could have taken the guy, but he had just run from a blown up meth lab, then broken into an old woman's house and stolen her keys and taken her van on a wild ride through town before crashing it into a tree in my neighbors front yard. He was scared and desperate. But when he realized my father was armed he did what we told him and waited for the police to arrive. In that situation the gun was not just something made for killing. It was a tool that allowed my father to protect his family and control a situation without anyone getting hurt. Several minutes later the police and an ambulance arrived and the tweaker was taken to the hospital in handcuffs.

    About ten years later, on Dec. 8th 2005 my father used that same handgun to shot himself in the head and end his life.

    Anyway, I know first hand that guns can do good and they can do harm. We don't live in a perfect world. We're never going to. If you pull the covers over your head it doesn't protect you from evil. That's all these silly regulations are, just covers we're going to pull over our heads and hope the boogey man goes away.
    I agree with alot of what you say here and i own a couple of guns myself so its not like im against gun owners, or anti gun.
    Im someone who is pro-guns and pro-gun control...... you seem to think that gun control makes no difference whatsoever in a criminals ability to obtain a gun. But if you look at the scenarios i laid out in my previous post then you would see that in that particular case the gun control would make it more difficult for the criminals.... not impossible but more difficult.

  12. #386
    Senior Member fishonjazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    K-TOWN
    Posts
    17,503
    Total Rep Points
    39507
    Rep Adjustment Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
    I don't see what good adding more regulations to private sales will do. Let's not get carried away, this nutjob didn't buy his guns off ksl or a gun show. He stole them from his mom.
    I this case if his mom had her guns locked up then this particular situation would have changed a little... maybe for the better, maybe for the worse, or maybe the same amount of kids and adults would have been killed but it would have been different in some manner.
    Maybe he is unable to obtain his moms guns so he goes elsewhere to get guns and on the way he gets hit by a bus and dies.
    Maybe he get some different guns from someone else but they are less effective guns and there ends up being less casualties.
    Maybe he gets different guns and they jam up when he tries to use them and no one dies.
    Maybe he decides to not use a gun at all and makes a bomb and there are more casualties.

  13. #387
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    St George, UT
    Posts
    546
    Total Rep Points
    274
    Rep Adjustment Power
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by fishonjazz View Post
    I will give a few scenarios to illustrate that how stopping private sales COULD decrease some crimes.

    For example: Lets say hypothetically i just got out of prison after a 10 year sentence for armed robbery and i want to rob bank with a gun, but i dont know hardly any people around anymore since i have been in prison for the last 10 years.

    Scenario #1- zero gun control laws: I walk to wallmart (theres one right by my house) buy a gun, and proceed to the bank and attempt the robbery.... Pretty damn easy. didn't even need a car in this case.

    Scenario #2-Most stores require background checks but there are places such as ksl or gun shows that dont: I cant pass a background check so i cant buy at wallmart now. So I have to find a computer to get onto and go onto ksl and locate someone who will sell me a gun. I drive over to the gun owners house and buy the gun. Then proceed to the bank and attempt the robbery... still pretty easy but in this case there are a few more steps and now i have to drive so there is the added risk that i get pulled over after the gun purchase and get busted so i never get to rob the bank. Unlikely but possible.

    Scenario #3- Can no longer buy from private dealers: Now i have basically 2 options. Option 1: i decide to steal a gun from someone. Now in this case there is a chance that a homeowner shoots me when i break into the home, or i steal the gun but it isn't loaded and i dont have bullets, or someone sees me breaking in and calls the cops and im busted. Lots of ways for this plan to fail, but still a decent chance that i aquire the gun without problem as well.
    Option 2: buy from the black market. Now i have to find this black market and assuming i can find it, then i have to purchase the gun from a fellow criminal who may be a bad guy who decides to rob me when i show up to buy, or maybe he shoots me and takes my money. Now there is still a decent chance that i come away with a gun and rob the bank.

    So scenario 1 was the easiest scenario for me. No problem piece of cake, the bank gets robbed.

    Scenario 2 was still pretty damn easy but not as easy as scenario 1. (i needed a car, and internet access, but still quite easy)

    Scenario 3 was still not extremely hard, but definately had the most risk/danger involved.

    For sure criminals will always be able to get thier hands on guns, but it seems like a good idea to make it more difficult for them to do so because some of the time, some of them will fail due to the extra difficulties involved with scenario 3
    You don't think in that 10 years you would know people that got out before you that you could track down and easily hook you up with a gun? Same way they get drugs or whatever they want when they get out.

  14. #388
    Senior Member fishonjazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    K-TOWN
    Posts
    17,503
    Total Rep Points
    39507
    Rep Adjustment Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by reignman40 View Post
    You don't think in that 10 years you would know people that got out before you that you could track down and easily hook you up with a gun? Same way they get drugs or whatever they want when they get out.
    Maybe i would, maybe not.... even if i did know someone, i would have to track them down and there would be more of a risk than just going to a wallmart or ksl to buy it.

    Like i said.... there is now way to really stop a criminal from getting a gun, but there are laws that could slow them down or make it a little harder for them.

  15. #389
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,831
    Total Rep Points
    1026
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by fishonjazz View Post
    Maybe i would, maybe not.... even if i did know someone, i would have to track them down and there would be more of a risk than just going to a wallmart or ksl to buy it.

    Like i said.... there is now way to really stop a criminal from getting a gun, but there are laws that could slow them down or make it a little harder for them.
    So, in your mind, a criminal is taking more if a risk buying a gun off the black market, than he is by trying to get it at walmart?

    You know it's a federal crime for convicted felons to possess a gun, right?

    I can assure you, someone who just got out of prison is much more likely to get a gun off the black market than they are from walmart, ksl, or any other legal seller.

    After 10 years in prison you would know lots of people selling whatever you wanted.

    By the way, most bank robbers use a note, not a gun.

  16. #390
    Senior Member fishonjazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    K-TOWN
    Posts
    17,503
    Total Rep Points
    39507
    Rep Adjustment Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
    So, in your mind, a criminal is taking more if a risk buying a gun off the black market, than he is by trying to get it at walmart?

    You know it's a federal crime for convicted felons to possess a gun, right?

    I can assure you, someone who just got out of prison is much more likely to get a gun off the black market than they are from walmart, ksl, or any other legal seller.

    After 10 years in prison you would know lots of people selling whatever you wanted.

    By the way, most bank robbers use a note, not a gun.
    If its a federal crime for them to possess a gun then they would be committing the same crime whether they get it from wallmart or the "black market".

    I just think its a good idea to make it as difficult as possible for criminals to get guns.. As it stands right now criminals have a bunch of options when it comes to getting guns. If the legislation passes making it illegal for guns to be sold on ksl type websites and gun shows, then they now have 1 less option than they did before. Agree to disagree i guess.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •