Page 59 of 101 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast
Results 871 to 885 of 1510

Thread: Gun Control

  1. #871
    Senior Member Scat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,442
    Total Rep Points
    6099
    Rep Adjustment Power
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyPeterzz View Post
    So are you saying we don't see more crimes committed with these weapons because *gasp* they are legal yet highly regulated? You don't say......
    I suspect it has much more to do with the cost associated with owning one.

  2. #872
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Metro East, St. Louis
    Posts
    8,520
    Total Rep Points
    8199
    Rep Adjustment Power
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoked View Post
    Fixed
    No, broken. Not one thing done in Philadelphia was more threatening than carrying around a rifle on your back.
    http://lifetheuniverseandonebrow.blogspot.com/

    Isaiah 1:18 -- Come now, and let us reason together

    Any habitual action, such as eating or dressing, may be performed on the appropriate occasion, without any need of thought, and the same seems to be true of a painfully large proportion of our talk. -- Bertrand Russell

  3. #873
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Metro East, St. Louis
    Posts
    8,520
    Total Rep Points
    8199
    Rep Adjustment Power
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoked View Post
    Then it is a good thing that it is not up to you.
    So, what's your argument against everyone being able to own flamethrowers? Or, are you saying that we should allow everyone to own and use flamethrowers?
    http://lifetheuniverseandonebrow.blogspot.com/

    Isaiah 1:18 -- Come now, and let us reason together

    Any habitual action, such as eating or dressing, may be performed on the appropriate occasion, without any need of thought, and the same seems to be true of a painfully large proportion of our talk. -- Bertrand Russell

  4. #874
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Metro East, St. Louis
    Posts
    8,520
    Total Rep Points
    8199
    Rep Adjustment Power
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameface View Post
    Well, if a little bit of regulation is good then a little more would be even better, right?
    Depends on the goal, doesn't it?
    http://lifetheuniverseandonebrow.blogspot.com/

    Isaiah 1:18 -- Come now, and let us reason together

    Any habitual action, such as eating or dressing, may be performed on the appropriate occasion, without any need of thought, and the same seems to be true of a painfully large proportion of our talk. -- Bertrand Russell

  5. #875
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In a ghetto near you. . . .
    Posts
    5,405
    Total Rep Points
    10911
    Rep Adjustment Power
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Scat View Post
    FWIW, flamethrowers are not federally regulated. Some states restrict ownership, but in general, they are not illegal.

    In fact, there is almost nothing that one cannot possess provided the proper paperwork and licensing is observed. You can own a tank, automatic machine guns, grenade launchers, anti-tank riffles & even small rocket propelled missiles. Granted, the paperwork and fees associated with owning such items is onerous, but, they can be had.
    I see farmers using "flame throwers" every fall, as part of their regular ditch maintenance program. They have trucks with propane tanks, and a fairly serviceable hose so they can do both sides of the ditch. I see no reason to worry about them, and probably even the fire department isn't worried. Usually they are "manned" by teenagers or someone who just got their learners permit, or are driving on the farm with the allowance at least locally that no license is required to operate farm equipment.

    They are different from the military version of "flame throwers" which use that nasty sticky gel called napalm, and can blow a fireball a hundred feet.

  6. #876
    Moderator Stoked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southern Utah
    Posts
    21,061
    Total Rep Points
    25688
    Rep Adjustment Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by One Brow View Post
    No, broken. Not one thing done in Philadelphia was more threatening than carrying around a rifle on your back.
    That is pure opinion.

    A couple guys in hate insignia, with weapons, yes not as deadly as a rifle, shouting slurs v. a guy with a rifle on his back not doing anything to anyone? Yea I am more threatened by the guys using slurs, in hate insignia holding weapons.
    #BelieveInLindsey

  7. #877
    Moderator Stoked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southern Utah
    Posts
    21,061
    Total Rep Points
    25688
    Rep Adjustment Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by One Brow View Post
    Depends on the goal, doesn't it?
    Well the goal of someone limiting my access to firearms is to infringe on my rights.
    #BelieveInLindsey

  8. #878
    Moderator Stoked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southern Utah
    Posts
    21,061
    Total Rep Points
    25688
    Rep Adjustment Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by Scat View Post
    I suspect it has much more to do with the cost associated with owning one.
    THis. If it was financially feasable to own tanks then more people would. Same with 50 cal humvees, RPGs,...
    #BelieveInLindsey

  9. #879
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In a ghetto near you. . . .
    Posts
    5,405
    Total Rep Points
    10911
    Rep Adjustment Power
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoked View Post
    That is pure opinion.

    A couple guys in hate insignia, with weapons, yes not as deadly as a rifle, shouting slurs v. a guy with a rifle on his back not doing anything to anyone? Yea I am more threatened by the guys using slurs, in hate insignia holding weapons.
    well, I have pure opinions too.

    Anyone showing up near a voting place with bare hands and saying stuff about how you better vote. . . or else. . . is trying to intimidate voters bully style. I guess if OB doesn't see that it might mean he's a bully himself. Not being used to actually listening to opposing viewpoints, and jumping all over everyone who disagrees could be called intimidating too. Some people can be intimidating by their demeanor or body language, and most of the time I can just move on and do my business. . . but I don't think congregating at the doors to the voting place and confronting voters with threats or any kind of weapon is "peaceable assembly". It is actually an attempt to coerce others, and obstruct their right to vote their own conscience. I don't think that should ever be tolerated.

    Or justified, excused, or minimized. Shame on you One Brow. You're not someone who really supports human rights.

  10. #880
    Senior Member The Thriller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    On the Booz Cruise
    Posts
    9,555
    Total Rep Points
    8888
    Rep Adjustment Power
    46
    Ridiculous.

    The suggested regulations and background checks aren't infringements upon your freedom.

    Some peeps here need to stop doing everything and anything to bash the President and freshen up on Democratic thought. A good starter would be reading about the "Social Contract Theory." Because... Right now, it seems like the pro gun/anti-government (except for gay marriage, stem cell research, alcoholic consumption, and abortion. For these issues the government needs to intervene) in this folks are calling for outright Anarchy.
    Lakers Suck.

  11. #881
    Senior Member The Thriller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    On the Booz Cruise
    Posts
    9,555
    Total Rep Points
    8888
    Rep Adjustment Power
    46
    In Utah, it is easier to obtain a semi-auto and endless amounts of ammo than it is to get a beer.

    This shouldn't be.

    I welcome opposing arguments to this.
    Lakers Suck.

  12.  

     

  13. #882
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,831
    Total Rep Points
    1026
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by The Thriller View Post
    In Utah, it is easier to obtain a semi-auto and endless amounts of ammo than it is to get a beer.

    This shouldn't be.

    I welcome opposing arguments to this.
    I agree. We should remove the comedic alcohol restrictions in this state.

  14. #883
    Premium Member Gameface's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,022
    Total Rep Points
    2884
    Rep Adjustment Power
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyPeterzz View Post
    So are you saying we don't see more crimes committed with these weapons because *gasp* they are legal yet highly regulated? You don't say......
    Well they aren't very useful weapons in the commission of your typical crime.

  15. #884
    Premium Member Gameface's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,022
    Total Rep Points
    2884
    Rep Adjustment Power
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by The Thriller View Post
    In Utah, it is easier to obtain a semi-auto and endless amounts of ammo than it is to get a beer.

    This shouldn't be.

    I welcome opposing arguments to this.
    I've often said that gun restrictions in places like NY and DC are like alcohol restrictions in Utah. They're made by people who aren't familiar with the object being regulated and that they regard as evil and unnecessary.

  16. #885
    Senior Member The Thriller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    On the Booz Cruise
    Posts
    9,555
    Total Rep Points
    8888
    Rep Adjustment Power
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
    I agree. We should remove the comedic alcohol restrictions in this state.
    Isn't it funny how a state which calls for less intervention and smaller government is such a gross offender of overbearing gov intervention and huge gov?

    Our alcoholic laws are ridiculous and just a month or two ago a choir in herriman had to cancel singing "all shook up" by Elvis because it was too risqué. Amazing
    Lakers Suck.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •