Page 61 of 101 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Control

Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Anyone showing up near a voting place with bare hands and saying stuff about how you better vote. . . or else. . . is trying to intimidate voters bully style.
    Didn't happen in this case. They shouted slurs and bragged about Obama's impending victory, but there were no claims that they told people how to vote.
    http://lifetheuniverseandonebrow.blogspot.com/

Isaiah 1:18 -- Come now, and let us reason together

Any habitual action, such as eating or dressing, may be performed on the appropriate occasion, without any need of thought, and the same seems to be true of a painfully large proportion of our talk. -- Bertrand Russell

I had to look up the story again.

I do not see any claims that they told people how to vote but they did say (according to witnesses) things like "you are about to be ruled by the black man, cracker" and similar bile. That plus they were dressed in paramilitary gear, with party insignia and brandising clubs. As a person that they would target that kind of speech towards, yes I would feel threatened.

Clearly an attempt to intimidate voters.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoked View Post
    ... yes I would feel threatened.

Clearly an attempt to intimidate voters.
    I'm sure you would feel threatened, even though there were no threats. Just like other people feel threatened by someone carrying around a semi-automatic rifle into a shopping mall, even though that person is making no threats.

The notion that a couple of black guys would try to start physical violence at a voting station in the USA is a sign you really don't understand race in our country.

Any habitual action, such as eating or dressing, may be performed on the appropriate occasion, without any need of thought, and the same seems to be true of a painfully large proportion of our talk. -- Bertrand Russell

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by One Brow View Post
    I'm sure you would feel threatened, even though there were no threats. Just like other people feel threatened by someone carrying around a semi-automatic rifle into a shopping mall, even though that person is making no threats.

The notion that a couple of black guys would try to start physical violence at a voting station in the USA is a sign you really don't understand race in our country.

Everything about how you described their behavior was aggressive and hostile, particularly to those who were white (using racial slurs) and who did not support Obama's reelection. When people are being aggressive and hostile I don't assume all their actions will be rational or predictable. If someone was to respond to their actions with similar actions (making racial slurs and gloating about the power imbalance between whites and blacks despite who the president is) are you sure there wouldn't have been any violence?

What a crock of ****.

I think we are pretty much done here. Have fun with your tragically warped vision of racism and our nation.

Why do liberals care when children die from a gun but have no compassion on the hundreds of babies that are aborted each day?

I feel extremely sad for both children in each case.... who never get to experience life's journey.
    GVC'S thoughts on the Jazz drafting Hayward......

Quote Originally Posted by GVC View Post
    Why not just buy a late 1st and draft Luke Babbitt? Better Body, better basketball skills, better athleticism...

Quote Originally Posted by Beantown View Post
    Why do liberals care when children die from a gun but have no compassion on the hundreds of babies that are aborted each day?

I feel extremely sad for both children in each case.... who never get to experience life's journey.
    Come on man, gun control is a big enough can of worms.... lets not open the abortion can. 1 thing at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gameface View Post
    Everything about how you described their behavior was aggressive and hostile, particularly to those who were white (using racial slurs) and who did not support Obama's reelection.
    Welcome to America. When you're in the minority, people being aggressive and hostile is an almost-daily fact of life. If you interpret every such person as a threat, you act paranoid.

Quote Originally Posted by Gameface View Post
    When people are being aggressive and hostile I don't assume all their actions will be rational or predictable. If someone was to respond to their actions with similar actions (making racial slurs and gloating about the power imbalance between whites and blacks despite who the president is) are you sure there wouldn't have been any violence?
    Not sure at all. Nor am I sure that the man engaging in an irrational act of carrying around a rifle in a department store will not be engaging in any violence. Is such surety required in saying that someone is or is not a threat?

What a crock of ****.

I think we are pretty much done here. Have fun with your tragically warped vision of racism and our nation.
    I wish it were fun. I wish I could put on the same blinders you wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Beantown View Post
    Why do you assume that compassion entails acting exactly as you would act?

Welcome to America. When you're in the minority, people being aggressive and hostile is an almost-daily fact of life. If you interpret every such person as a threat, you act paranoid.

Not sure at all. Nor am I sure that the man engaging in an irrational act of carrying around a rifle in a department store will not be engaging in any violence. Is such surety required in saying that someone is or is not a threat?
    Hahahaha....

I also enjoy your attempts to spin a man that was not making any threats, not making slurs and not wearinf paramilitary clothing or hate group insignia as more threatening than those who were.

Why do you assume that compassion entails acting exactly as you would act?
    For the same reason you assume racism in America is exactly as you would see it.

I also enjoy your attempts to spin a man that was not making any threats, not making slurs and not wearinf paramilitary clothing or hate group insignia as more threatening than those who were.
    I'm enjoying your attempt to portray two men who made no threats as making threats. I also love the way you missed the point completely. In both cases, the level of threat perceived was a reaction in the observer, not an action or state of the supposed threatening person.

For the same reason you assume racism in America is exactly as you would see it.
    What makes you think I believe I have a completely accurate understanding of racism? I can give you several links to people who understand it much better than I.

Also, I neither insist nor expect that everyone sees or reacts to racism in the manner that I do.

I'm enjoying your attempt to portray two men who made no threats as making threats. I also love the way you missed the point completely. In both cases, the level of threat perceived was a reaction in the observer, not an action or state of the supposed threatening person.
    Verbalizing racial slurs is an action.

As for the threats accusation all I can say is go back and reread all my replies on that.