Page 62 of 101 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Control

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by One Brow View Post
    What makes you think I believe I have a completely accurate understanding of racism? I can give you several links to people who understand it much better than I.

Also, I neither insist nor expect that everyone sees or reacts to racism in the manner that I do.
    It was in jest as I am well aware that you do not have a good understanding or racism.
    #BelieveInLindsey

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoked View Post
    Verbalizing racial slurs is an action.

As for the threats accusation all I can say is go back and reread all my replies on that.
    It was in jest as I am well aware that you do not have a good understanding or racism.
    My response to both of these posts is pretty much the same. The notion that verbalizing slurs is a threatening action, but wearing a gun is not, is a reaction by you based on your personal history. You seem to think that every person should react that way, that these "threats" have some sort of objectively identifiable existence, but those of us with differing personal histories naturally perceive threats differently. You're afraid of black people who are yelling, I'm afraid of guns. Our fears are not rational. I'm not afraid of the yelling black people, you're not afraid of the guns. Those are probably the more rational reactions. Similarly with racism, your perception of racism is firmly grounded in your experiences, as is mine. I have at least been doing some reading of experts on the subject, though. I could be wrong, but I don't think you have done much reading in that area.
    http://lifetheuniverseandonebrow.blogspot.com/

Isaiah 1:18 -- Come now, and let us reason together

Any habitual action, such as eating or dressing, may be performed on the appropriate occasion, without any need of thought, and the same seems to be true of a painfully large proportion of our talk. -- Bertrand Russell

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    I'm just messing with you One Brow.

But no the action of wearing a gun by itself is not threatening to me anymore than a guy driving a car is. What that individual is doing with it is what makes it threatening or non threatening.

The insinuation that I am "...afraid of black people who are yelling..." is a gross misrepresentation of what has been said here. Furthermore it is an intentional misrepresentation. If you are going to debate then please attempt to accurately portray what I am actually saying.

These were two men in hate group insignia, shouting racial slurs and other such bile while holding weapons. That is far different than soemoe just yelling about something. The fact that they are black only really matters to you. Also there can very much be a difference between perceiving something as a threat/threatening and being afraid of something.

I find your above statement to be intellectually dishonest and a intentional gross misrepresentation of what I have said.

I expected better.
    #BelieveInLindsey

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Back on topic.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...672826598.html

Fairly straightforward article. I agree till you get to the 2nd to last paragraph.

I find the mentions of the California's Armed Prohibited Persons System to be interesting. Basically says that the guns of the mentally ill and certain classes of felons will have their guns confiscated. I am not necessarilly against that depending on how it is written up and implemented. However that can be a slippery slope and the definitions of mentally ill can be used to cast a wide net. Good concept that can potentially be very dangerous to the 2nd amendment.
    #BelieveInLindsey

Drinkin haterade, ridin the hate train through hateville
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    You know what scares me? People riding horses. I don't know what their intentions are and don't feel comfortable when non-Mardi Gras police are wielding such a massive weapon in my presence. Why should we continue allowing horses people ride when I feel uncomfortable by them?

People who gut their own fish really scare me too. I don't know what their intentions are with that fillet knife. For all I know, they're brandishing it just waiting for some purdy girl to walk by and snatch up yer wife and children. Why should we allow knife wielding maybe mentally ill maybe not potential criminals hang out cleaning their fish when it makes me uncomfortable and I don't know their intentions?

I don't know what your intentions are when I pull up to you next to a gas pump. For all I know, you're sitting their waiting to torch my car and it makes me uncomfortable. Why should we allow gasoline dispensing paraphernalia to exist unhinged? I don't know your intentions.

What really really really makes me uncomfortable is crossing crosswalks in front of stopped vehicles. I don't know their intentions. Maybe they are baiting me to cross in front of them so they can run me over behind the wheel of these uncontrolled 2 ton weapon. Why don't we have wheel locks at all crosswalks? That's sensible thing to do. I don't know their intentions...I feel uncomfortable.
    No Mediocrity

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by franklin View Post
    You know what scares me? People riding horses. I don't know what their intentions are and don't feel comfortable when non-Mardi Gras police are wielding such a massive weapon in my presence. Why should we continue allowing horses people ride when I feel uncomfortable by them?

People who gut their own fish really scare me too. I don't know what their intentions are with that fillet knife. For all I know, they're brandishing it just waiting for some purdy girl to walk by and snatch up yer wife and children. Why should we allow knife wielding maybe mentally ill maybe not potential criminals hang out cleaning their fish when it makes me uncomfortable and I don't know their intentions?

I don't know what your intentions are when I pull up to you next to a gas pump. For all I know, you're sitting their waiting to torch my car and it makes me uncomfortable. Why should we allow gasoline dispensing paraphernalia to exist unhinged? I don't know your intentions.

What really really really makes me uncomfortable is crossing crosswalks in front of stopped vehicles. I don't know their intentions. Maybe they are baiting me to cross in front of them so they can run me over behind the wheel of these uncontrolled 2 ton weapon. Why don't we have wheel locks at all crosswalks? That's sensible thing to do. I don't know their intentions...I feel uncomfortable.
    I love you.
    #BelieveInLindsey

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power

I like to hear what the nuts have to say about this. My guess is that they will stick to their paranoid opposition to reasonable regulation.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameface View Post
    I like to hear what the nuts have to say about this. My guess is that they will stick to their paranoid opposition to reasonable regulation.
    What do you consider reasonable?
    #BelieveInLindsey

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Why do you assume that compassion entails acting exactly as you would act?
    I assume if someone has compassion for one child that's life has been ended they would have the same compassion for the other child that's life was ended.

Common sense.
    GVC'S thoughts on the Jazz drafting Hayward......

Quote Originally Posted by GVC View Post
    Why not just buy a late 1st and draft Luke Babbitt? Better Body, better basketball skills, better athleticism...

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    The insinuation that I am "...afraid of black people who are yelling..." is a gross misrepresentation of what has been said here. Furthermore it is an intentional misrepresentation. If you are going to debate then please attempt to accurately portray what I am actually saying.
    I'm sorry to break this to you, but that's an accurate portrayal. The NBPP is certainly a hate group, but it's a hate group without a history of violence toward white people. There's apparently been two incidents of violence in the group's history, the second occurring when they wanted to stop police from taking their guns (on a side note, should police be removing guns from law-abiding citizens like that?). They are basically a bunch of yelling black people. You do feel threatened by them. It's not inaccurate do say so.

The fact that they are black only really matters to you.
    So, do you get afraid when the crown starts yelling at an NRA rally?

Also there can very much be a difference between perceiving something as a threat/threatening and being afraid of something.
    You mean, you're not afraid of some things that threaten you, or you are afraid of some things that are not threats to you?

Any habitual action, such as eating or dressing, may be performed on the appropriate occasion, without any need of thought, and the same seems to be true of a painfully large proportion of our talk. -- Bertrand Russell

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Beantown View Post
    I assume if someone has compassion for one child that's life has been ended they would have the same compassion for the other child that's life was ended.

Common sense.
    Well the problem is not that they do not have compassion but that they do not consider an unborn child a child. Keep in mind that the opinion on this widely differs.

As for me I am personally pro life but think that abortions should be legal. I am however against partial birth abortions and late term abortions. Partial birth abortions are an abomination in my opinion.
    #BelieveInLindsey

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    You know what scares me? People riding horses.
    Exactly my point.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Beantown View Post
    My question was: why do you assume a person holding the compaasion that you hold would act as you would act? Other factors influence our actions besides compassion.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    I'm sorry to break this to you, but that's an accurate portrayal. The NBPP is certainly a hate group, but it's a hate group without a history of violence toward white people. There's apparently been two incidents of violence in the group's history, the second occurring when they wanted to stop police from taking their guns (on a side note, should police be removing guns from law-abiding citizens like that?). They are basically a bunch of yelling black people. You do feel threatened by them. It's not inaccurate do say so.

You mean, you're not afraid of some things that threaten you, or you are afraid of some things that are not threats to you?
    When I am threatened my general reaction is anger not fear. Also your question indicated that it has to be one or the other. That is a false assertion.

As for the yelling at an NRA rally it depends on what they are yelling and why but you know all this. Is that crowd singling out someone present? Are they shouting slurs? Are they holding their weapons in an aggressive manner?

Stop trying to play political games.

Also it most certainly not an accurate portrayal of what I have said. I don't give a hoot that they are black. I care that they are members of a hate group, in full gear yelling racial slurs and brandishing weapons.

You can argue semantics all you want but the direct actions are clearly more aggressive and threatening then some guy with a rifle slung over his back minding his own business.

Period.
    #BelieveInLindsey

Drinkin haterade, ridin the hate train through hateville
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    No but I was honestly scared ****less about a couple gun toting, ultra-conservative co-workers after Obama won his second term. Apparently, a $1.15 tax on diabetus medical devices every 5 or 10 years or whatever was going to starve and kill a few of their children.
    No Mediocrity