Page 68 of 101 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast
Results 1,006 to 1,020 of 1510

Thread: Gun Control

  1. #1006
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Metro East, St. Louis
    Posts
    7,995
    Rep Power
    40
    Rep Level
    7106
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoked View Post
    You can't reduce it. They have already shown they don't give a damn about your laws.

    There are already laws about how and where you can carry. Using a firearm increases your crime, punishment and opens you to additional crimes. Not my fault you wanted to ignore the specifics that already address what you are Bradley asking about.
    Changing what is available will gradually change what is available to criminals, as well, whether they care about the laws or not. So, your blanket proclamation of an inability to reduce the number of bullets is false.

    Changing the severity of a law means little to most mass shooters, from what I can tell. The death penalty carries no threat to the suicidal. So, I see no prospect for saying that "using a firearm increases severity of your crime" to have any deterrent effect, nor any ameliorative effect. Thus, I don't see where it addresses what I am asking about. I don't pretend to speak for Bradley on that.
    http://lifetheuniverseandonebrow.blogspot.com/

    Isaiah 1:18 -- Come now, and let us reason together

    Any habitual action, such as eating or dressing, may be performed on the appropriate occasion, without any need of thought, and the same seems to be true of a painfully large proportion of our talk. -- Bertrand Russell

  2. #1007
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Metro East, St. Louis
    Posts
    7,995
    Rep Power
    40
    Rep Level
    7106
    Quote Originally Posted by franklin View Post
    Statistics do nothing for the individual about to get raped and family murdered.
    They don't do anything for the parent whose kid just shot themself. They don't do anything for the spouse being shot by an abuser. The don't do anything for the homeowner whose gun is found by a thief and turned on the homeowner. Yet, at the very least, the first two are much more common than the scenario you devise.

    Quote Originally Posted by franklin View Post
    You're also falsely correlating [lack of] necessity with a risk:reward calculation (that may or may not be accounting for increased benefit/lack of downside risk in the absense of ownership).
    I agree I conflated the two concepts.

    Quote Originally Posted by franklin View Post
    As to the second, I'm surprised you're not an advocate of better education for gun owners as a solution to your problem. Shouldn't education be the first step taken?
    I don't have a problem as an individual (on this topic); our country has a problem.

    I am in favor of more education. I've said before that there should be gun-carry licenses that are much like driver's licenses (you need to show some basic knowledge, some handling ability, perhaps even carry insurance). However, with regard to these mass shootings in particular, I don't recall anyone claiming that they happened because the shooter just didn't know enough about guns.
    http://lifetheuniverseandonebrow.blogspot.com/

    Isaiah 1:18 -- Come now, and let us reason together

    Any habitual action, such as eating or dressing, may be performed on the appropriate occasion, without any need of thought, and the same seems to be true of a painfully large proportion of our talk. -- Bertrand Russell

  3. #1008
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Metro East, St. Louis
    Posts
    7,995
    Rep Power
    40
    Rep Level
    7106
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameface View Post
    I wonder why gun safety class isn't called for here.
    How would such classes have limited the loss of life in Newtown or Aurora?

    I think the discussion of having every high school offering gun safety classes similar to driver's licenses classes is worth having. However, I don't see how that helps here (that is, in the context of this particular discussion).
    http://lifetheuniverseandonebrow.blogspot.com/

    Isaiah 1:18 -- Come now, and let us reason together

    Any habitual action, such as eating or dressing, may be performed on the appropriate occasion, without any need of thought, and the same seems to be true of a painfully large proportion of our talk. -- Bertrand Russell

  4. #1009
    Moderator Stoked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southern Utah
    Posts
    20,409
    Rep Power
    91
    Rep Level
    23229
    Quote Originally Posted by One Brow View Post
    Changing what is available will gradually change what is available to criminals, as well, whether they care about the laws or not. So, your blanket proclamation of an inability to reduce the number of bullets is false.

    Changing the severity of a law means little to most mass shooters, from what I can tell. The death penalty carries no threat to the suicidal. So, I see no prospect for saying that "using a firearm increases severity of your crime" to have any deterrent effect, nor any ameliorative effect. Thus, I don't see where it addresses what I am asking about. I don't pretend to speak for Bradley on that.
    I never said reduce the number of bullets so nice try there.

    As for the suicidal remark. Do you mean to imply that every criminal that commits a crime with a gun is suicidal? Of course jot but the laws that govern what you can and cannot do with a gun seem to have no effect.

    It is already against the law to use a firearm for an illegal activity. Such as robbery or rape. Does not seem to stop them though.

    Also I do not accept that my rights to gun ownership, within reason (I don't need a bazooka), should be limited because others are not capable of personal responsibility. Banning a rifle because it has a pistol grip makes it no more deadly than a hunting rifle.

    An AR-15 uses the same caliber as a normal hunting rifle (.223). It does not fire faster or have more power. It is simply scarrier looking. That's it. Banning them in no way shape or form controls or limits gun violence.
    #BelieveInLindsey

  5. #1010
    Moderator Stoked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southern Utah
    Posts
    20,409
    Rep Power
    91
    Rep Level
    23229
    .
    #BelieveInLindsey

  6. #1011
    the Chief Old D'oh moevillini's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Kansas Central University Fieldhouse
    Posts
    6,587
    Rep Power
    49
    Rep Level
    9763
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoked View Post
    ...As for the suicidal remark. Do you mean to imply that every criminal that commits a crime with a gun is suicidal? Of course jot but the laws that govern what you can and cannot do with a gun seem to have no effect....
    just jumping in to give a quick and simple answer: It means that for those who intend to take their own life after doing whatever it is that they are trying to do, making the penalty more severe isn't going to make a difference to that type of perpetrator.
    a blast from the past... http://www.freepennystockalerts.com/

  7. #1012
    the Chief Old D'oh moevillini's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Kansas Central University Fieldhouse
    Posts
    6,587
    Rep Power
    49
    Rep Level
    9763
    we need to legalize drugs ASAP, that'd be the first step I'd suggest in reducing gun violence
    a blast from the past... http://www.freepennystockalerts.com/

  8.  

     

  9. #1013
    Moderator Stoked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southern Utah
    Posts
    20,409
    Rep Power
    91
    Rep Level
    23229
    Quote Originally Posted by moevillini View Post
    we need to legalize drugs ASAP, that'd be the first step I'd suggest in reducing gun violence
    It would probably work.
    #BelieveInLindsey

  10. #1014
    Senior Member franklin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Drinkin haterade, ridin the hate train through hateville
    Posts
    12,745
    Rep Power
    115
    Rep Level
    29564
    Quote Originally Posted by One Brow View Post
    They don't do anything for the parent whose kid just shot themself. They don't do anything for the spouse being shot by an abuser. The don't do anything for the homeowner whose gun is found by a thief and turned on the homeowner. Yet, at the very least, the first two are much more common than the scenario you devise.
    Of course it's more prevalent than a very narrowly defined circumstance. How do the numbers come out when you add everything to the other side of the ledger equally as you have with your gun owner killings side? I'm guessing rape alone is at least more than 10 times and home invasions at least quadruple.



    Quote Originally Posted by One Brow View Post
    I don't have a problem as an individual (on this topic); our country has a problem.
    Can you be more specific?
    No Mediocrity

  11. #1015
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    9,571
    Rep Power
    0
    Rep Level
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by moevillini View Post
    we need to legalize drugs ASAP, that'd be the first step I'd suggest in reducing gun violence
    I think this is completely true. There is a huge industry in our nation that operates outside the law. They can't go to court to settle disputes so they resort to armed thugs or gangs to protect their business interests.

    Drug gangs often acquire guns illegally as it is and I imagine they'll have the easiest time maintaining access to weapons no matter what our gun laws are.

  12. #1016
    In Pursuit of #PKM UGLI baby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    гег
    Posts
    30,719
    Rep Power
    150
    Rep Level
    41664
    Safety ON/OFF when y'all shoot?
    #OnlyPostsHashtags

  13. #1017
    Senior Member franklin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Drinkin haterade, ridin the hate train through hateville
    Posts
    12,745
    Rep Power
    115
    Rep Level
    29564
    Quote Originally Posted by UGLI baby View Post
    Safety ON/OFF when y'all shoot?
    OFF! Never post in a babe bro
    No Mediocrity

  14. #1018
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    791
    Rep Power
    12
    Rep Level
    705
    Just listening to the Sheriff who went back the White House to meet with Biden on gun control. They were talking about how many people actually lied on their background checks(a felony) and were not prosecuted. Biden's response was that they didn't have the man power to prosecute.... Oh ok good let's set more laws that we aren't able to enforce.

  15. #1019
    Moderator Stoked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southern Utah
    Posts
    20,409
    Rep Power
    91
    Rep Level
    23229
    Quote Originally Posted by HipHopAnonymous View Post
    Just listening to the Sheriff who went back the White House to meet with Biden on gun control. They were talking about how many people actually lied on their background checks(a felony) and were not prosecuted. Biden's response was that they didn't have the man power to prosecute.... Oh ok good let's set more laws that we aren't able to enforce.
    Or better yet a mass purging of idiotic laws that pull man power. Then refocus on the laws that really do matter.
    #BelieveInLindsey

  16. #1020
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In a ghetto near you. . . .
    Posts
    5,242
    Rep Power
    48
    Rep Level
    10128
    Quote Originally Posted by franklin View Post
    OFF! Never post in a babe bro
    Franklin, you're being a bad boy. This comment is just ugli on every level. Since my kids are reading over my shoulder here, let me just say I've never seen such an ugli post.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •