Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 35
  1. #16
    Senior Member Eenie-Meenie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,330
    Total Rep Points
    2320
    Rep Adjustment Power
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
    Hayward needs to start missing half of every season, crying to the media, complaining about his role, and disrespecting his hall of fame coach in public (or saying some no name coach in Europe would be better). Then we can compare him to AK.
    Ad hominem b.s.

  2. #17
    Senior Member Eenie-Meenie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,330
    Total Rep Points
    2320
    Rep Adjustment Power
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by MoTown16 View Post
    Ah, Hayward just plays video games instead of reading Russian novels. Effect is the same.
    Ad hominem b.s.

  3.  

     

  4. #18
    Senior Member Eenie-Meenie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,330
    Total Rep Points
    2320
    Rep Adjustment Power
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
    Or at least a guy that can carry a team to the playoffs, right?

    AK's best season, the Jazz missed the playoffs. They added more talent after that so they could make the playoffs, and AK cried because he was no longer the best player on the team (and his role was reduced, accordingly).
    Ad hominem b.s.

  5. #19
    Senior Member AKMVP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    4,284
    Total Rep Points
    4299
    Rep Adjustment Power
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
    Hayward needs to start missing half of every season, crying to the media, complaining about his role, and disrespecting his hall of fame coach in public (or saying some no name coach in Europe would be better). Then we can compare him to AK.
    BS. AK missed half the season only once due to freak injuries yet was still able to lead league in blocks that year.. Show me max player, All-star and All defensive first team whose minutes and FG attempts get cut in half and role reduced to perimeter space cleaning role player and who would not complain? Please show me at least one example of any max player/allstar in his prime being so badly misused as AK was by Sloan in 2007.
    Hall of fame coach? lol... what Sloan won in his life? hm.... Olympic gold as assistant? That's the role he was best suited for, not for the head coaching.
    Blatt on the other hand is one of most successful coach in international basketball, won everywhere he coached on club level in different leagues, with national teams and without having any player close to Stockton and Malone caliber.
    Being ignorant does not make you right!
    Exum = Biggest bust in Jazz history.

  6. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,831
    Total Rep Points
    1092
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by AKMVP View Post
    BS. AK missed half the season only once due to freak injuries yet was still able to lead league in blocks that year.. Show me max player, All-star and All defensive first team whose minutes and FG attempts get cut in half and role reduced to perimeter space cleaning role player and who would not complain? Please show me at least one example of any max player/allstar in his prime being so badly misused as AK was by Sloan in 2007.
    Hall of fame coach? lol... what Sloan won in his life? hm.... Olympic gold as assistant? That's the role he was best suited for, not for the head coaching.
    Blatt on the other hand is one of most successful coach in international basketball, won everywhere he coached on club level in different leagues, with national teams and without having any player close to Stockton and Malone caliber.
    Being ignorant does not make you right!
    Since 2004, AK has only played in 70 games twice, with the most being 72 once. He's injury prone.

    And clearly those accolades you speak if weren't warranted if the dude couldn't even very a team to the playoffs.

    You ask what all star, defensive first team player wouldn't complain about a reduced role? The easy answer is, show me one that couldn't lead his team to the playoffs, and I bet he likely had his role reduced the next year. Did he complain? And did his team improve?

    Whatever you think of Sloan (and I wasn't a big fan of his either) the guy absolutely was a hall of famer. He had great success in the NBA, coaching at the highest level. His teams made the playoffs almost every year, and he consistently made scrubs look like good players. Blatt should not have his name mentioned in the same sentence as Sloan. His success in Europe is nothing compared to what Sloan accomplished. In 97 everyone had written the Jazz off. They were supposedly too old, and didn't have enough talent. They ended up with the second best record in the NBA and lost to Michael Jordan in the Finals. When Blatt comes to the NBA and does this, then you might be able to say his name in the same sentence as Sloan. When he comes to the NBA and does it consistently for 20+ years, then you can start to compare him to Sloan. Until then, he's a nobody.

  7. #21
    Senior Member AKMVP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    4,284
    Total Rep Points
    4299
    Rep Adjustment Power
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post

    Whatever you think of Sloan (and I wasn't a big fan of his either) the guy absolutely was a hall of famer. He had great success in the NBA, coaching at the highest level. His teams made the playoffs almost every year, and he consistently made scrubs look like good players. Blatt should not have his name mentioned in the same sentence as Sloan. His success in Europe is nothing compared to what Sloan accomplished. .
    Sloan got lucky to be in right place with Stockton and Malone. He was fired from Chicago where he did not make any scrubs look like good players - he actually drove me crazy for liking and playing scrubs with no talent who should have never played in NBA ( J.Collins, Borchardt, Macleod, Fuller for example ). He never won anything, period. He has losing record in playoffs - that is way more important that the fact he made playoffs riding Stockton and Malone coattails.
    You think NBA is all that matters and rest of world can't play or coach basketball? As I said you are ignorant. Blatt won everywhere he coached in numerous finals including Euroleague and Eurobasket. Sloan won nothing.
    LOSING record in playoffs=failure. That's what hurts Sloan - he got lucky to have best PG and PF duo in basketball history to keep his job for that long but yet he failed to win having them.
    Exum = Biggest bust in Jazz history.

  8. #22
    Senior Member AKMVP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    4,284
    Total Rep Points
    4299
    Rep Adjustment Power
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
    Since 2004, AK has only played in 70 games twice, with the most being 72 once. He's injury prone.

    And clearly those accolades you speak if weren't warranted if the dude couldn't even very a team to the playoffs.

    You ask what all star, defensive first team player wouldn't complain about a reduced role? The easy answer is, show me one that couldn't lead his team to the playoffs, and I bet he likely had his role reduced the next year. Did he complain? And did his team improve?

    So you can't find me an example, thanks. AK lead his scrub team in 2003-2004 to 41 win when they were predicted to win 9 games. He lead his Russia team to gold medal in 2007 Eurobasket when nobody was even predicting they will win any medals.
    And yes, AK missed some games. Not half the season every year as you tried to blow out of proportion in previous post.
    Exum = Biggest bust in Jazz history.

  9. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,831
    Total Rep Points
    1092
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by AKMVP View Post
    Sloan got lucky to be in right place with Stockton and Malone. He was fired from Chicago where he did not make any scrubs look like good players - he actually drove me crazy for liking and playing scrubs with no talent who should have never played in NBA ( J.Collins, Borchardt, Macleod, Fuller for example ). He never won anything, period. He has losing record in playoffs - that is way more important that the fact he made playoffs riding Stockton and Malone coattails.
    You think NBA is all that matters and rest of world can't play or coach basketball? As I said you are ignorant. Blatt won everywhere he coached in numerous finals including Euroleague and Eurobasket. Sloan won nothing.
    LOSING record in playoffs=failure. That's what hurts Sloan - he got lucky to have best PG and PF duo in basketball history to keep his job for that long but yet he failed to win having them.
    Sloan kept going to the playoffs after Stockton and Malone. He took Boozer to the conference finals. He won many playoff series. To say he won nothing is a lie. The only thing he didn't win was the NBA Finals.

    Blatt winning in the minor leagues is totally irrelevant.

  10. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,831
    Total Rep Points
    1092
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by AKMVP View Post
    So you can't find me an example, thanks. AK lead his scrub team in 2003-2004 to 41 win when they were predicted to win 9 games. He lead his Russia team to gold medal in 2007 Eurobasket when nobody was even predicting they will win any medals.
    And yes, AK missed some games. Not half the season every year as you tried to blow out of proportion in previous post.
    You're the one who can't find an example. I'll say Mutumbo. He was on the all defense team, took a lesser role, didn't complain. Garnett too. Same with David Robinson. Hakeem the dream was also on the all defense team and took a lesser role when the Rockets got Barkley, but he didn't complain.

    Now, your turn. Show me one that complained besides AK.

  11. #25
    Senior Member AKMVP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    4,284
    Total Rep Points
    4299
    Rep Adjustment Power
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
    You're the one who can't find an example. I'll say Mutumbo. He was on the all defense team, took a lesser role, didn't complain. Garnett too. Same with David Robinson. Hakeem the dream was also on the all defense team and took a lesser role when the Rockets got Barkley, but he didn't complain.

    Now, your turn. Show me one that complained besides AK.
    Your examples are about players way past their prime - see AK on Wolves now, is he complaining? AK was in his prime when Sloan turned him into role player.
    Exum = Biggest bust in Jazz history.

  12. #26
    Senior Member AKMVP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    4,284
    Total Rep Points
    4299
    Rep Adjustment Power
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
    He won many playoff series. .
    He lost more playoff games then he won.
    Exum = Biggest bust in Jazz history.

  13. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    3,240
    Total Rep Points
    3775
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Otis Day View Post
    What is it about Gordon Kirilenko that makes me cringe half the time? When he shoots the ball I have no confidence he will make it. When he drives I'm sure he will lose the ball. He does make some nice off the ball blocks and seems to be a better one on one defender than he gets credit for. Sounds a lot like Andrei. I realize Gordon is young but let's hope he continues to develop. At least we can say we aren't paying him 17M.
    I want to disagree ..... but I cant.

  14. #28
    Senior Member AKMVP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    4,284
    Total Rep Points
    4299
    Rep Adjustment Power
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
    Blatt winning in the minor leagues is totally irrelevant.
    It is not minor leagues. He won second best league in the world and European championship. It is not like he won some Dleague or NCAA. And you missing fact that he won on multiple levels, with multiple teams with different players and in different countries. Sloan could not do squat until he got lucky with Stockton and Malone. Making playoffs with Deron, Boozer, Okur, Harpring and AK would not have been a difficult task to any coach.
    I guess we should really wait until Sloan is hired again by some scrub team and does his magic there to really judge him. I am really disappointed he did not get Charlotte job, would be perfect situation to test his "greatness".
    Exum = Biggest bust in Jazz history.

  15. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,831
    Total Rep Points
    1092
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by AKMVP View Post
    Your examples are about players way past their prime - see AK on Wolves now, is he complaining? AK was in his prime when Sloan turned him into role player.
    Lol, Garnett ess in the prime of his career when he was traded and took a lesser role. Olajuwon was also in the prime of his career when he took a lesser role. David Robinson was in the prime of his career when the Spurs got Duncan and he took a lesser role.

    Again, your turn. Show me an example of one who complained, besides AK.

  16. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,831
    Total Rep Points
    1092
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by AKMVP View Post
    He lost more playoff games then he won.
    He still won more than Blatt. He won enough to be voted into the NBA hall of fame.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •