View Poll Results: Which player would you rather have next summer?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mo Williams

9 40.91%
  • Jose Calderon

13 59.09%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by NAOS View Post
    the questions are these:

1. what would the jazz give up this year to acquire him?
    2. what would it take to get him to SLC as a free agent?

As per 1: IMO, the realistic list is limited to our own expiring contracts. Essentially, the teams agree to swap dudes that probably won't be on their teams next year. Millsap is more valuable and productive than Calderon, so that deal is off the table; TOR isn't giving more than Calderon to acquire Millsap because they most likely won't be able to retain him. As I've already said, I'd swap him and Al immediately; but the only way that goes down is if TOR moves Bargs or another big man, because they aren't in need at the moment.

As per 2: Do the jazz have to give an extra year? Do we have to pay too much? I'd absolutely hate a 4-year deal. I'd hate a 3-year deal for the wrong price. Maybe he comes here for the right price at two years since he sees an opportunity to start for a competitive team, but that is a hard bargain.

My only interest is an Al swap. That'll at least give him an audition before we were to negotiate our own contract.
    I think you're pretty much spot on here. I would say in regards to Millsap that the same issue with trading Al there is the same as Millsap: they have ENOUGH bigs. However, couldn't Al flesh out one of the bigs in a 3-big rotation? Besides Bargnani and Val Venus, who are they really committed to? More importantly, who SHOULD they be committed to in the guys that they have? I ask partially out of naivete.

If they're intent on clearing timber in their big rotation to make room for the idea of Al, you could conceivably include a third team where Bargnani goes somewhere else.
    Quote Originally Posted by every forum dreg
    I think he can play SF

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by NAOS View Post
    So you're saying it was a broken comparison right from the get-go?

Let's not even start the conversation about what it takes/took to acquire both players.

Some brown stuff all over this.
    It's a perfect comparison. How do you think Tinsley is able to keep getting minutes? He can't do anything but make the offense run right. Which is exactly why there is this thread discussing JC.

I'm starting to doubt my non-low opinion of you.
    "I'm a moron for thinking the Browns could even sniff 10 wins in a division where the other three teams (two of whom almost always make the playoffs) made the post-season last year. Gyp Rosetti's thee God of football knowledge." - Brown Notes

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown Notes View Post
    It's a perfect comparison. How do you think Tinsley is able to keep getting minutes? He can't do anything but make the offense run right. Which is exactly why there is this thread discussing JC.

What makes it a bad comparison (IMO) is shooting ability.... calderon great shooter, tinsley not so much.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power

I'm bored, braugh.

How do I go from "not-low" to "PKM"?
    ___#! Rudy Fan___
    [size/HUGE] RUDY [/size]

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by fishonjazz View Post
    What makes it a bad comparison (IMO) is shooting ability.... calderon great shooter, tinsley not so much.
    I'll try to assume you two aren't just being contrary for it's own sake.

The reason there is a thread about Calderon is that he has a rather rare NBA skill, which is the ability to see/anticipate every other player on the floor, and make good decisions. Since the discussion is basically about speculating what impact he'd have on our team, it helps to compare him to somebody that already plays here with that skill.

That guy is Tinsley. If you like to gather statistics (I'm too lazy) you could look at games he played when his shot is falling (in which case he forces the other team to guard him), I'm guessing that you'd find he has a ridiculous +/- in those games considering he was out of basketball for a bit and can barely move. JT is very good at getting the offense to run properly.

My theory is that we would see a similar effect with Calderon. The fact that he can shoot is gravy. Is that more clear for you guys?
    "I'm a moron for thinking the Browns could even sniff 10 wins in a division where the other three teams (two of whom almost always make the playoffs) made the post-season last year. Gyp Rosetti's thee God of football knowledge." - Brown Notes

I'm jus' one dem guys...come, scrap, blue collar, junkyard dog
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    I haven't watched nearly enough of Calderon in the last few years to have a strong opinion either way. I have spent some time on Raps/Jays forums, and have a pretty good grasp on what Raps' fans think of Calderon. They generally think he's a defensive sieve, who couldn't run a fastbreak to save his life and pounds the ball until there's no time left on the shot clock, giving his teammates little to do but shoot when he passes them the ball. Brown, take a look at his adjusted +/- numbers over the last 5 years; he's been among the worst few players on bad Raps teams in 4 of those years (in only one of those 5 years was he a +).

Is he better than Mo? Maybe. If Ed Davis can be had, I'd give up any combination of Foye, Al and Mo for Jose.
    http://jazzfanz.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=133&dateline=1317382587

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    after you watch this video and if you are not familiar with NBA you may think that Toronto is the best team in the world and Calderon is basketball God

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by GVC View Post
    I haven't watched nearly enough of Calderon in the last few years to have a strong opinion either way. I have spent some time on Raps/Jays forums, and have a pretty good grasp on what Raps' fans think of Calderon. They generally think he's a defensive sieve, who couldn't run a fastbreak to save his life and pounds the ball until there's no time left on the shot clock, giving his teammates little to do but shoot when he passes them the ball. Brown, take a look at his adjusted +/- numbers over the last 5 years; he's been among the worst few players on bad Raps teams in 4 of those years (in only one of those 5 years was he a +).

Is he better than Mo? Maybe. If Ed Davis can be had, I'd give up any combination of Foye, Al and Mo for Jose.
    To me it isn't a question of being better than Mo necessarily but rather how much better he is than our backups and how that would help the team rather than having too many bigs.

I'm not a stat guru but the one I always liked for PGs was Assists/TOs. +/- is probably a better stat for PGs than other positions. Anyways over the summer looking for somebody that was an assist machine JC's name seemed to come up all the time. I don't know that dominating the ball is a terrible quality for a PG, lots and lots of them dribble around possessing it for a good portion of the clock.

The other side of the Rap's recent surge would be the possible availability of Lowry instead. What if Toronto flips again back in love with JC?

Banned
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    No team in the league really wants Calderon and yet Jazz fans clamor for him. Holy Christ this board is ****ing retarded.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Clamor?
    Quote Originally Posted by every forum dreg
    I think he can play SF

Banned
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Pine?

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Honestly I haven't seen enough of Calderon to know much except that he's a pretty good distributor. But if he's terrible defensively and can't run a fast break, do we want him? Mo may not be ideal, but like someone else said, he's got fire, plus a great ability to lead...something we were missing dearly when Harris was here. Personally when they signed Mo, his leadership qualify was what I was most excited about. You can't overstate the importance of that, IMO. That said, I'm not sure what kind of leader Calderon is.
    You know squat. You know less than squat. You and Squat could go to the movies and Squat could wear an "I'm with Stupid" t-shirt!