Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power

Computer Question

So yesterday, my daughter was on her laptop and she lost the ability to access most of the internet except for a few select sites. We ran anti-virus software but nothing showed up. It shows that there is an excellent signal but it never connects. It just says that the URL has been found, please wait while we connect. Any thoughts?

That said, what are some of the better anti-virus programs. She has Avast and Avira on hers but I have no idea if these are any good.

Banned
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    what browser are u using bro? and what do u mean ur able to connect to a few select sites?

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    I think I've got it. I uninstalled the Avira anti-virus program and everything seemed to pop right back up. Now I just need to get a decent anti-virus program to install and I should be golden.

Banned
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    tbh i think anti virus software is a scam. get some decent extensions on ur browser like or similar to ad block, noscript, etc. and u should be golden.
    occaisonally u can scan ur comp. with a free software like search and destroy but other than that i wouldnt pay for anything bro.
    browser extensions will keep you safe 100% of the time unless ur a dumb ass and go out of ur way to harm urself

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Protecting your computer requires more than just having a good antivirus program unfortunately.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Scat View Post
    I think I've got it. I uninstalled the Avira anti-virus program and everything seemed to pop right back up. Now I just need to get a decent anti-virus program to install and I should be golden.
    I've been pretty happy with Microsoft Security Essentials. Free too.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Unplug your computer then plug it back in.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    I downloaded S&D and it found a buttload of unwanted files. Most were fairly benign but there were several "redirect" files/programs that I think were the biggest issue. They were loaded in the memory and couldn't simply be deleted. I had to reboot and run the S&D before everything loaded up. The computer is now working better than in has in months.