Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    78
    Rep Power
    15

    Why don't any of you understand you trade contracts, not players

    Even if you pretend Wall/ Nene for Al/Paul sounds fair in terms of talent, the Jazz are only offering a few months of control of Jefferson/Millsap (plus Bird rights). Wall is still on a rookie deal. No rebuilding team is going to give up young core pieces on favorable contracts for 30-40 games of Jeff or Sap.

  2.  

     

  3. #2
    Senior Member infection's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,947
    Rep Power
    30
    What's a rookie contract?

  4. #3
    In pursuit of #9 PKM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    43,817
    Rep Power
    150
    So everyone here is dumb and you're smart. Got it.

    Class in session. Please enlighten us dolts with more basketball IQ, please.
    E.J. Wells vs. NAOS

    The confusion...

    ---
    Pre-season mock (7/13/13) - page 111

  5. #4
    Senior Member Weezur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,316
    Rep Power
    24
    I'm sure you understand trade contracts, Deron.

  6. #5
    Senior Member CitizenofCapua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Look at my "nick".
    Posts
    1,074
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM View Post
    So everyone here is dumb and you're smart. Got it.

    Class in session. Please enlighten us dolts with more basketball IQ, please.
    This. I'm eager to hear some knowledge and wisdom as well.
    http://i45.tinypic.com/23w8x2w.jpg
    MOVE! MOVE!..

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    78
    Rep Power
    15
    In general, good players receive less in their rookie contracts than they would earn in the open market bc rookie deals have set, lock-step raises based on draft position and yrs of experience. For instance, as the former #1 pick, Wall probably earns around $6MM this season. If he were a FA, Wall would likely get at least $10MM/yr despite his shooting limitations.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    78
    Rep Power
    15
    And 90% of the trades proposed on this site don't take into account that Al/Paul have basically no value to their teams past this season bc they are UFAs, which is what prompted this thread. Teams can just as easily bid on either of them in the off-season without sacrificing picks/players before the deadline.

  9. #8
    Senior Member Zulu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The STG
    Posts
    8,667
    Rep Power
    60
    If we take back a player on a multi year deal or a huge contract for next year(Pau Gasol) then Paul and Al's expiring contracts are very attractive!!!
    http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o604/sainsbu/ProfessionalTank_zps6f4cddad.png

  10. #9
    In pursuit of #9 PKM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    43,817
    Rep Power
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by Deron Williams View Post
    In general, good players receive less in their rookie contracts than they would earn in the open market bc rookie deals have set, lock-step raises based on draft position and yrs of experience. For instance, as the former #1 pick, Wall probably earns around $6MM this season. If he were a FA, Wall would likely get at least $10MM/yr despite his shooting limitations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deron Williams View Post
    And 90% of the trades proposed on this site don't take into account that Al/Paul have basically no value to their teams past this season bc they are UFAs, which is what prompted this thread. Teams can just as easily bid on either of them in the off-season without sacrificing picks/players before the deadline.
    Dude ...

    I don't even know where to start..
    E.J. Wells vs. NAOS

    The confusion...

    ---
    Pre-season mock (7/13/13) - page 111

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    78
    Rep Power
    15
    Not sure if you're trying to be sarcastic, but a deal like that could at least potentially make sense for both sides. These proposals where nonplayoff teams give up recent lotto picks for a half season of Al to win 27 instead of 24 games are nonsensical and should be treated as such.

  12. #11
    Senior Member Zulu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The STG
    Posts
    8,667
    Rep Power
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Deron Williams View Post
    Not sure if you're trying to be sarcastic, but a deal like that could at least potentially make sense for both sides. These proposals where nonplayoff teams give up recent lotto picks for a half season of Al to win 27 instead of 24 games are nonsensical and should be treated as such.
    I agree.... Possibly these teams would have an easier time signing Paul or Al... But most likely they wouldn't give up such young talent!!!




    How's Brooklyn???
    http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o604/sainsbu/ProfessionalTank_zps6f4cddad.png

  13. #12
    In pursuit of #9 PKM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    43,817
    Rep Power
    150
    Of course I'm being sarcastic. You came here and talked down to everyone here (by you saying 'anyone') stating we don't know anything. Then you proceed to enlighten us about rookie contracts (duh). Not to mention your apparent lack of understanding of expirings ..

    I'm not mad, though, I'm just making fun of you is all.
    E.J. Wells vs. NAOS

    The confusion...

    ---
    Pre-season mock (7/13/13) - page 111

  14. #13
    In Pursuit of #PKM UGLI baby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    гег
    Posts
    28,854
    Rep Power
    136
    So why don't we just sign guys to rookie contracts? Like, could we go after Bledsoe and sign him to a rookie contract?

    Question directed at Deron Williams.
    #Hope4Hoiberg #OrOllie

  15. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tabor Heights
    Posts
    12,581
    Rep Power
    0
    ^
    Excellent point. Waiting for a response. This has me intriqued.

  16. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    78
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by UGLI baby View Post
    So why don't we just sign guys to rookie contracts? Like, could we go after Bledsoe and sign him to a rookie contract?

    Question directed at Deron Williams.
    Obviously players are only on their rookie deals for their first few seasons in the league. In Bledsoe's case, I believe he's signed through '13-'14 for a pittance (like $2MM annually), and when his contract expires he would be a RFA, meaning we could match other teams' offers.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •