Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 169
  1. #1
    Senior Member Hotttnickkk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    17,938
    Rep Power
    82
    Rep Level
    19399

    Why doesn't infraction lead to decreased Rep power?

    Banning is good and all. But if I was to be banned, I'll just take a week off, then come back, act like nothing happened and do all the same things that I used to do again.

    You see - Rep power is all they have over all the other posters. One of the things I don't like is members with high Rep count neg-repping new posters just as a bullying tactic. Nobody wants to stand up or say bad things about these guys because they're afraid of getting neg-repped.

    What I would do is straight away decrease Rep power by say 5. I'm pretty sure they'll stop what they were doing before and start acting like civilized people.
    KkKkkKKkkkKkKkkKKKkkkKkkkKkk

    #LoveYourNeighbourHOOD

  2. #2
    Admininstrator colton's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    6,146
    Rep Power
    150
    Rep Level
    10456
    I've thought about that before, and I think it's a good idea. But I haven't found a way to automatically implement it, so that's why it hasn't happened. I can manually set someone's rep power to five (or whatever), but I'm not sure if it will start automatically increasing again after I do that.
    The word you are looking for is very probably "complement", not "compliment". As in "Favors and Kanter will likely complement each other nicely". Although... depending on how impressive a given play is, they may compliment each other nicely as well.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Hotttnickkk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    17,938
    Rep Power
    82
    Rep Level
    19399
    Quote Originally Posted by colton View Post
    I've thought about that before, and I think it's a good idea. But I haven't found a way to automatically implement it, so that's why it hasn't happened. I can manually set someone's rep power to five (or whatever), but I'm not sure if it will start automatically increasing again after I do that.
    Let's say someone had a 10, then you set it to 5 after the infraction.

    I don't mind if it starts increasing again to 6, 7, 8 over time through good behavior towards others. But that initial reduction to 5 would automatically make that person think about his/her action and start gaining positive reputations again.

    All you have to do is come up with a set of rules which says something like:

    - 1st infraction = reduction of Rep Power by 5
    - 2nd infraction = reduction of Rep Power by 10

    and so on, and so forth..

    This type of penalty is immediate and it's something that can be viewed and commented on by other posters (kind of making that person feel ashamed in a way).

    Sometimes you ban someone, but we don't know about it, or we don't see it, it gets missed. Seems like that person got away with it in a way.
    KkKkkKKkkkKkKkkKKKkkkKkkkKkk

    #LoveYourNeighbourHOOD

  4. #4
    In Pursuit of #PKM UGLI baby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    £¥£
    Posts
    30,742
    Rep Power
    150
    Rep Level
    41664
    This is a great idea if you want to make this the dullest message board on the Internet.
    #OnlyPostsHashtags

  5. #5
    Senior Member JGolds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    1,461
    Rep Power
    14
    Rep Level
    2337
    Quote Originally Posted by UGLI baby View Post
    This is a great idea if you want to make this the dullest message board on the Internet.
    yeah... cyber bulling isnt real anyways... its a fake thing we just see on the news. we are all adults here and can handle a little ruff housing. however if anyway threatens to commit Some hennes crime or Suicide i think stricter rules and consequences should be integrated.
    “Silence is golden, and gold is up these days, so silence is a solid investment.”
    ― Jarod Kintz


  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,781
    Rep Power
    0
    Rep Level
    4567
    This place wasn't dull before this rep fiasco.

    Just get rid of rep. It breeds alts and intensifies bad feelings.

    More immediately: it is ****ing stupid.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Hotttnickkk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    17,938
    Rep Power
    82
    Rep Level
    19399
    Quote Originally Posted by UGLI baby View Post
    This is a great idea if you want to make this the dullest message board on the Internet.
    Then what's the point of getting banned in the first place?

    If the measure is there to keep people's stupid behavior in tact then you have to find the best way of doing it so that these guys don't re-offend.

    I just don't get how someone can get a 1 week ban, go have a holiday, come back and bully honest-everyday-posters around just because they still have their 20+ Rep power in tact.

    Just my 2 cents.
    KkKkkKKkkkKkKkkKKKkkkKkkkKkk

    #LoveYourNeighbourHOOD

  8. #8
    Senior Member Hotttnickkk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    17,938
    Rep Power
    82
    Rep Level
    19399
    Quote Originally Posted by NAOS View Post
    This place wasn't dull before this rep fiasco.

    Just get rid of rep. It breeds alts and intensifies bad feelings.

    More immediately: it is ****ing stupid.
    I think Rep power has its merits. It keeps people honest and not to do stupid things for example. I used to say a lot of stupid things and some posters here have let me know by neg-repping me which have kept in in line ever since. It's just that you start to get people who have high Rep Power acting stupid that's the issue IMO.

    Rep is not the issue, it's how we can fully utilize it.
    KkKkkKKkkkKkKkkKKKkkkKkkkKkk

    #LoveYourNeighbourHOOD

  9. #9
    Free at last!!! bigb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Fathering Kanter's children
    Posts
    5,696
    Rep Power
    43
    Rep Level
    7819
    Maybe you guys all just worry too damn much about rep? It's like a bunch of high school girls.

  10.  

     

  11. #10
    Senior Member franklin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Drinkin haterade, ridin the hate train through hateville
    Posts
    12,755
    Rep Power
    116
    Rep Level
    29759
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotttnickkk View Post
    Banning is good and all. But if I was to be banned, I'll just take a week off, then come back, act like nothing happened and do all the same things that I used to do again.

    You see - Rep power is all they have over all the other posters. One of the things I don't like is members with high Rep count neg-repping new posters just as a bullying tactic. Nobody wants to stand up or say bad things about these guys because they're afraid of getting neg-repped.

    What I would do is straight away decrease Rep power by say 5. I'm pretty sure they'll stop what they were doing before and start acting like civilized people.

    Couple things. They do this as some valiant internet way of bravely fighting off potential alts like their mother's honor is at stake or something. They also can't have new perspective interfering with their circle jerk mental masterbation groupthink hole that they're ever trying to dumb this place down into. The ego doesn't get strokes of affirmation with new posters getting in the way with......GASP....fresh ideas.
    No Mediocrity

  12. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,781
    Rep Power
    0
    Rep Level
    4567
    I know the ownership and most of the moderating powers of this site are fairly conservative folks. I just can't understand why they don't see what rep is breeding here... and how it has encouraged some of the better posters to leave.

    I'm basically shocked this experiment has run for this duration. It should go. It should have gone. Will it eventually go? I'd really like some explanation from Jason et al.

  13. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tabor Heights
    Posts
    12,581
    Rep Power
    0
    Rep Level
    4891
    Gotta agree with NAOS here. And quite frankly, I'm not sure how they've allowed alts to go on and on and on for so long while others get infractions and/or banned for such.

  14. #13
    Senior Member Hotttnickkk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    17,938
    Rep Power
    82
    Rep Level
    19399
    Quote Originally Posted by NAOS View Post
    I know the ownership and most of the moderating powers of this site are fairly conservative folks. I just can't understand why they don't see what rep is breeding here... and how it has encouraged some of the better posters to leave.

    I'm basically shocked this experiment has run for this duration. It should go. It should have gone. Will it eventually go? I'd really like some explanation from Jason et al.
    I don't see why a management of Rep power that I explained above can't be used to curb this issue. It seems such a no-brainer to me. Act stupid - reduce the Rep Power - reduce the amount of havoc you can do - change your behavior.

    I think overall having Rep is a good thing. Here are some positives that I can think of at least anyway:

    - Stops people starting stupid threads
    - Stops people posting stupid things that don't necessarily lead to infractions
    - Encourages people to keep coming back to the site (I think according to the formula floated around here a while back you get increased reps for the No. of Posts you make, how long you've been coming to the site, etc).
    - Gives other posters some indication of where each posters are at (i.e., you can have posters with extremely high post count, but if most of the posts are rubbish you'll have a lower rep power).

    All of the above are good from Moderator/Site owner perspective as it increased site traffic & decreased stupid posts/threads. I could probably think of more but don't have time ATM.

    So overall I think Rep is a good thing, it's how you manage it that's the issue.
    KkKkkKKkkkKkKkkKKKkkkKkkkKkk

    #LoveYourNeighbourHOOD

  15. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tabor Heights
    Posts
    12,581
    Rep Power
    0
    Rep Level
    4891
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotttnickkk View Post
    I don't see why a management of Rep power that I explained above can't be used to curb this issue. It seems such a no-brainer to me. Act stupid - reduce the Rep Power - reduce the amount of havoc you can do - change your behavior.

    I think overall having Rep is a good thing. Here are some positives that I can think of at least anyway:

    - Stops people starting stupid threads
    - Stops people posting stupid things that don't necessarily lead to infractions
    - Encourages people to keep coming back to the site (I think according to the formula floated around here a while back you get increased reps for the No. of Posts you make, how long you've been coming to the site, etc).
    - Gives other posters some indication of where each posters are at (i.e., you can have posters with extremely high post count, but if most of the posts are rubbish you'll have a lower rep power).

    All of the above are good from Moderator/Site owner perspective as it increased site traffic & decreased stupid posts/threads. I could probably think of more but don't have time ATM.

    So overall I think Rep is a good thing, it's how you manage it that's the issue.
    It's not this simple. There're rep whores like the STG group. Then, there's just trolls like HH and others. Some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money or rep power. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.
    Last edited by Gyp Rosetti; 12-29-2012 at 05:31 PM.

  16. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,781
    Rep Power
    0
    Rep Level
    4567
    Hahaha. Nice.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •