Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp Rosetti View Post
    I was quoting TDK.

Anyway, I agree that rep power is stupid. Take that away, perhaps even get a little tighter with the rules (especially with the alts), and the board will be much better like it was a few years ago.
    Friendly and sincere question. How do the mods crack down better on alts? Are you aware of specific alts being allowed to freely post as a multi-account? I'm just looking for REAL examples of all this supposed abuse being spewn in this thread.

Quite frankly, and this is no criticism of the mods, I think a new mod (or two?) should take the reins. I'm not sure how much I even see our current mods post, namely Kicky, as life can take over and should. A couple new mods would be great imo.
    What would you like, specifically, to see from these new mods? What positive changes do you think they may make?
    One change that may be positive would be to watch the neg-repping. See if anyone seems to be abusing it and unnecessarily singling someone out. It's okay to neg if sincere and deserved, but (imo) not just as feud or to incite agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotttnickkk View Post
    Hmm.. I meant take rep power away from those getting infractions or those who have been destructive in their behavior.

All I'm saying is better management or control of Rep power in conjunction with Banning would be ideal.
    So now I agree. However, this has a whole different tone than the OP. This is about bad behavior and not about simply posters with high rep.

And again, a ton of people don't give a **** about that. I don't and I doubt HH or Dutch or many others do.
    Removal of rep power wouldn't change my posting style in the least. I do think the overall concept of the site works and the issues that were raised here are much more isolated than people think. The only thing that bugs me about rep-whoring is it bugs me ("REP ME!!!!") .. but so what, I don't get why anyone should leave the site over something so trivial.
    The big issue, as I see it, is attacking new posters... that, more than anything, makes for a duller site. I personally know two people that only posted about a dozen times and were so frustrated with the onslaught of BS they lost interest in a hurry (and both of these guys would offer very good chat about Jazz bb).

Then please explain to me why I get Neg -10 rep from Dutch everytime I utter the word "Jefferson" in a positive way?

If he doesn't give a **** please explain to me why he does that.
    Maybe this kind of thing can be reported and a new policy can come into play??? I don't know, that would bug me too..

It may not matter to him, but for a new poster joining this site, to suddenly get a neg rep -10 from someone like Dutch, I'm pretty sure it'll make that new poster think twice about posting or even coming back to JazzFanz.
    ... and again, this would be my concern far more than rep-whoring or an occasional neg.
    #dumptruckin

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM View Post
    I watched this a while to see where it ended up and ... good Lord, there's a lot of negging that needs to be done here (I don't neg).

Please name names. Who was neg-repping you and what makes you so sure it wasn't just because your posts were terrible?

Who's 'they?' I'm taking no personal offense, btw, but this thread seems to be much more valuable with specific examples of specific posters. Otherwise, it just sounds extremely whiny and, as bigb said, high school girlish.

Once again, what exactly is rep breeding and what weak-minded ******* have been run off by others rep?

So who are these alts they've allowed to go on and on?? (you guys seeing the trend in my questioning yet? I'll continue)

So people with high rep have some exclusive license to starting stupid threads? Nope. I think stupid threads are started by about every level of rep power.
    I don't at all feel anyone is pointing a finger at me, btw, but I will say that I have ZERO open infractions. Slate is clean. I'd be curious to know of the last, say, 20 infractions, the average rep power of those receiving them.
    I DO believe there is a real problem of too many posters immediately running off a new poster (assuming they're an alt) and this would be a true concern of mine if I was an owner of the site .. and I like seeing new posters, myself.

This is a generally good post. There has certainly been some rep-whoring by some considered the STG group. Funny thing though is that the two most obvious culprits of this aren't from STG and have never met up for a game with the rest of us, but are generally considered part of this 'group.'
    I have never once asked for rep, for the record.

*reached my limit on the multi-quoting ... going back in..*
    rep'd

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    nevermind i cant rep you yet. we really need more stg posters so i can rep pKm more often.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    I just negged PKM cuz his posts were way long and cuz he's my alt.
    #BringBackUGLI

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    I'm gonna pos rep him 2 more time to make up for it, and then triple neg you cause I hate your beard. Maybe next time you will think twice.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris-L View Post
    nevermind i cant rep you yet. we really need more stg posters so i can rep pKm more often.
    Quote Originally Posted by UGLI baby View Post
    I just negged PKM cuz his posts were way long and cuz he's my alt.
    Stop cluttering up my reply in this thread. I'm serious guys. This is NOT the time and place.
    We are talking about the health and well-being of JazzFanz.
    #dumptruckin

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM View Post
    Friendly and sincere question. How do the mods crack down better on alts? Are you aware of specific alts being allowed to freely post as a multi-account? I'm just looking for REAL examples of all this supposed abuse being spewn in this thread.

What would you like, specifically, to see from these new mods? What positive changes do you think they may make?
    One change that may be positive would be to watch the neg-repping. See if anyone seems to be abusing it and unnecessarily singling someone out. It's okay to neg if sincere and deserved, but (imo) not just as feud or to incite agenda.

I'll address these two points:
    There are a couple systems in place to try and crack down on alts. Jason has installed some software to help with this. I'm not going to disclose what they are so as to not make it easier for the few (I believe there are only a few who have managed to successfully have an alt for more than a couple days/posts with this current software) people who want alts to do it.
    Mods have zero access to other people's reps. Jason and colton can see everything on this board, that's it. If rep is questioned, they have to look into it and then the rest of us vote on it. NOBODY actively tracks reps given, positive or negative. I don't think anybody would want that job, either. That would literally make me want to rip my eyeballs out.
    The only thing I can say about the rep crap is this: If you feel you are being unfairly targeted, report it. I am starting to feel rep is more of a pain in the ass than it's worth. But then again, I think it's kind of pointless.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by bigb View Post
    If you feel you are being unfairly targeted, report it.
    This.
    #dumptruckin

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    I reported my regular (as in at least twice weekly) neg repping from Cyrone Torbin and was never given a reply.... At least not that I remember. The mods certainly didn't reverse the reps or inform me that Cy had been warned, so IF I got a reply it was pretty meek/unsatisfactory.
    ___#! Rudy Fan___
    [size/HUGE] RUDY [/size]
    elect Stanley Johnson, 2015

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by NAOS View Post
    I reported my regular (as in at least twice weekly) neg repping from Cyrone Torbin and was never given a reply.... At least not that I remember. The mods certainly didn't reverse the reps or inform me that Cy had been warned, so IF I got a reply it was pretty meek/unsatisfactory.
    We never inform the person reporting it of the result.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    This is a whole new dork level of Jazzfanz I was never aware of.
    #BringBackUGLI

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by bigb View Post
    We never inform the person reporting it of the result.
    I'm aware, but this thread is about rep (which -- seriously -- I don't care about accruing, but I'll contribute to the discussion here with the hope for any change with the system, maybe even removal).

This is a clear case of Cy using rep power to bully. At the worst, he did it for as long as he could (i.e. until he purposefully grated on my last nerve so that I reported something) and got a warning out of it. His rep (i.e. his power to bully) wasn't touched, nor was my rep (i.e. my ability to not be bullied by him) restored.

This is an example. Make of it what you will.
    ___#! Rudy Fan___
    [size/HUGE] RUDY [/size]

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by UGLI baby View Post
    This is a whole new dork level of Jazzfanz I was never aware of.
    The site was better without it. If this is dorky to you, then add "dorky" to the list of things rep generates.
    ___#! Rudy Fan___
    [size/HUGE] RUDY [/size]

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by NAOS View Post
    I'm aware, but this thread is about rep (which -- seriously -- I don't care about accruing, but I'll contribute to the discussion here with the hope for any change with the system, maybe even removal).

This is a clear case of Cy using rep power to bully. At the worst, he did it for as long as he could (i.e. until he purposefully grated on my last nerve so that I reported something) and got a warning out of it. His rep (i.e. his power to bully) wasn't touched, nor was my rep (i.e. my ability to not be bullied by him) restored.

This is an example. Make of it what you will.
    Your rep power has nothing to do with your "ability to not be bullied by him". It doesn't matter how much rep a person has if they are being "bullied". The only thing that affects is your ability to "bully" him back. You could make a case for reducing a person's rep for abusing it.
    This is only one more reason I feel rep is becoming a bigger PIA than it's worth.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    My take is rep power does have some value. When one takes the time to make a post others enjoy it is somewhat gratifying (at least I think it is) to be repped for it.
    Where it may become exhausting is if/when repping is more political (whether good or bad) than rep-worthy.
    Honestly, I think this whole thread is silly. If rep is silly, then arguing about it is even sillier.
    #dumptruckin