Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rep Level

Best movies of 2012

Like every year this comes with the proviso that I didn't see everything (because few really do). That said, my top 10 movies that I saw this year are as follows:

1. Moonrise Kingdom
    2. Bernie (2012 US release)
    3. Cabin in the Woods
    4. Django Unchained
    5. Looper
    6. Argo
    7. Holy Motors
    8. Beasts of the Sothern Wild
    9. Seeking a Friend for the End of the World
    10. The Flowers of War (2012 US Wide release, even though it technically hit a couple US cities in December 2011).

The worst film: The Vow

This order is subject to change as I remember things and people inevitably tell me that I was stupid and forgot something.

Before we go there, I didn't forget about "The Master." It's a purposeful omission. I have not seen Silver Linings Playbook, Lincoln (no real desire on that one), or Life of Pi. I suspect I wouldn't really like them in all honesty with SLP having the highest potential to surprise me. Among films I have not seen most likely to crack this list are Zero Dark Thirty

Rep Level
    Chronicle, Avengers, Dark Knight Rises. Only three new movies I've seen and I liked em. I would probably like Django Unchained and that Hobbit Movie if I saw em.

Rep Level
    Moonrise Kingdom was a charming little flick but the fact that it made anyone's favorite movie of the year is a testament to how bad films were this past year.

Wes Anderson's student film (Bottle Rocket) was better than Moonrise Kingdom.

Banned
    Rep Level
    My top 10

1. Argo
    2. Safety Not Guaranteed
    3. A Separation
    4. The Muppets (No Joke, this movie was really good. I have never watched anything muppets before either)
    5. Moonrise Kingdom
    6. Dark Knight Rises
    7. In Darkness
    8. Ted
    9. Skyfall
    10. 21 Jump Street

2011 was a much much much better year for movies

Banned
    Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartsock View Post
    My top 10

1. Argo
    2. Safety Not Guaranteed
    3. A Separation
    4. The Muppets (No Joke, this movie was really good. I have never watched anything muppets before either)
    5. Moonrise Kingdom
    6. Dark Knight Rises
    7. In Darkness
    8. Ted
    9. Skyfall
    10. 21 Jump Street

Butt shoes butt shoes hahaha
    Jason Segel is creep nasty tho

Rep Level
    1. Moonrise kingdom(fantastic change up in the movie industry)
    2.Skyfall
    3.Avengers
    4.Pitch Perfect

These are the movies I'll watch multiple times from this 2012!!
    http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o604/sainsbu/ProfessionalTank_zps6f4cddad.png

Rep Level
    There were several movies with better acting or a more complete storyline, but none were as entertaining as the Avengers.

Banned
    Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by default View Post
    there were several movies with better acting or a more complete storyline, but none were as entertaining as the avengers.
    iyo.

Rep Level
    My top 10

1. Argo
    2. Safety Not Guaranteed
    3. A Separation
    5. Moonrise Kingdom
    6. Dark Knight Rises
    7. In Darkness
    8. Ted
    9. Skyfall
    10. 21 Jump Street

My list would be close to this except add The Silver Linings Playbook and Abraham Lincoln in the top 3.

Am I really the first to talk about both of these movies?!?!

Kicky, you must see both of those.
    GVC'S thoughts on the Jazz drafting Hayward......

Quote Originally Posted by GVC View Post
    Why not just buy a late 1st and draft Luke Babbitt? Better Body, better basketball skills, better athleticism...

Banned
    Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Beantown View Post
    My list would be close to this except add The Silver Linings Playbook and Abraham Lincoln in the top 3.

Am I really the first to talk about both of these movies?!?!

Kicky, you most see both of those.
    Havent seen either yet, I want to see SLP, I dont really have a desire to see lincoln for some reason. Going to see Django tonight though.

Rep Level
    I see very very few movies in the theatre (these days I'm watching fewer movies and a lot more TV... the shows that HBO and AMC are doing put most movies out there to shame anyway). The only ones I recall going out to see this year were Samsara and The Hobbit.

I saw The Hobbit in 3D IMAX, but the 24fps version. It certainly looked great, but as a movie it was pretty dang flat.

Samsara was great. It's basically got the same idea as 1992's Baraka, which was directed and produced by the same two men twenty years ago. The film's director, Ron Fricke, describes it as a "guided meditation" about life on our planet... it's sort of like a documentary without narration. Amazing images, though.

I also saw The Avengers after it was released on Blu-Ray. It was fine. About what I expected from a superhero movie.

Did no one here like Life of Pi or Cloud Atlas? I haven't seen either of them, but they're both very much on my list.
    "Yeah, I got a way to defend it. Bring a bat to the game and kill one of them."
    -Nick Van Exel, on defending the Stockton-Malone Pick & Roll

Banned
    Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AtheistPreacher View Post
    I see very very few movies in the theatre (these days I'm watching fewer movies and a lot more TV... the shows that HBO and AMC are doing put most movies out there to shame anyway). The only ones I recall going out to see this year were Samsara and The Hobbit.

I saw The Hobbit in 3D IMAX, but the 24fps version. It certainly looked great, but as a movie it was pretty dang flat.

Samsara was great. It's basically got the same idea as 1992's Baraka, which was directed and produced by the same two men twenty years ago. The film's director, Ron Fricke, describes it as a "guided meditation" about life on our planet... it's sort of like a documentary without narration. Amazing images, though.

I also saw The Avengers after it was released on Blu-Ray. It was fine. About what I expected from a superhero movie.

Did no one here like Life of Pi or Cloud Atlas? I haven't seen either of them, but they're both very much on my list.
    Life of Pi was ok, I had very low expectations and was pleasantly surprised

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirkickyass View Post
    Like every year this comes with the proviso that I didn't see everything (because few really do). That said, my top 10 movies that I saw this year are as follows:

1. Moonrise Kingdom
    2. Bernie (2012 US release)
    3. Cabin in the Woods
    4. Django Unchained
    5. Looper
    6. Argo
    7. Holy Motors
    8. Beasts of the Sothern Wild
    9. Seeking a Friend for the End of the World
    10. The Flowers of War (2012 US Wide release, even though it technically hit a couple US cities in December 2011).

The worst film: The Vow

This order is subject to change as I remember things and people inevitably tell me that I was stupid and forgot something.

Before we go there, I didn't forget about "The Master." It's a purposeful omission. I have not seen Silver Linings Playbook, Lincoln (no real desire on that one), or Life of Pi. I suspect I wouldn't really like them in all honesty with SLP having the highest potential to surprise me. Among films I have not seen most likely to crack this list are Zero Dark Thirty
    I don't agree with your omission of The Master in the slightest. Without a doubt one of the best American films of the 21st Century.

One film that deserves a mention is Amour.

And how did you see Holy Motors? Was it playing somewhere and I just missed it?

Oh, and kudos on your lack of desire to see Lincoln. Do. Not. Bother.

Rep Level
    My top 10

1. Argo
    2. Safety Not Guaranteed
    3. A Separation
    5. Moonrise Kingdom
    6. Dark Knight Rises
    7. In Darkness
    8. Ted
    9. Skyfall
    10. 21 Jump Street

Aren't those from 2011?

Banned
    Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by candrew View Post
    Moonrise Kingdom was a charming little flick but the fact that it made anyone's favorite movie of the year is a testament to how bad films were this past year.

Wes Anderson's student film (Bottle Rocket) was better than Moonrise Kingdom.
    Bottle Rocket is one of my all time favorite films. I enjoyed Moonrise Kingdom, but not anywhere close to as much as I enjoyed Bottle Rocket.