Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Banned
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by GVC View Post
    Hartsock's on a mission to prove once and for all that he's an ignorant ****. Good for him, I say.

The only time this season Millsap's defended the opposing 5 (IIRC) was against Toronto, when Al was out. Otherwise, he guards opposing 4s, who tend to be better offensive players than 5s (like others in this thread, I will not actually try to support this statement).
    Al is not a very good defender, neither is Paul. I'll leave it at that.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown Notes View Post
    I like Al but it's silly to say Sap is worse defensively. Paul and Marvin are the only guys with size who can get out in space and defend.
    It is a difference without a distinction: both Sap and Al are bad defenders. It does not matter if one is a teeny bit worse than the other one. Especially when their backups are clearly much better defenders.

Banned
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by zman1527 View Post
    It is a difference without a distinction: both Sap and Al are bad defenders. It does not matter if one is a teeny bit worse than the other one. Especially when their backups are clearly much better defenders.
    This is the fact of the matter

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    I really like Milsap.....

But I'm at the point where I'm ready to move on!!
    http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o604/sainsbu/ProfessionalTank_zps6f4cddad.png

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    anybody who thinks al takes the opposing team's best big needs to watch more closely. al guards deandre jordan while millsap guards blake griffin. al guards joel anthony while paul guards lebron. the only recent game i can think of where they switched it up a little was the spurs game where they wanted to give TD different looks so all 4 bigs had their turn on him.

besides that, we're talking about 220-270 plays where each guy was labeled the primary defender... so we're working in a sample size here that evens out the anomalies and is pretty valid and fair at making a comparison. paul sends his man to line less often (3.7% of the time versus 8.5%), forces slightly more turnovers (8.9% to 7.6%), holds his man to a lower FG% in almost every defensive category (except the post, where al has him by a few percentage points), and overall just defends better on the ball (.81 PPP to .91 PPP).

sorry if those numbers don't jive with people's opinions so you'd rather ignore them and keep believing what you want to believe... but nothing i just said is anything less than factual.
    check out the jazzbros.com blog for more on the jazz.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by theNBAnerd View Post
    anybody who thinks al takes the opposing team's best big needs to watch more closely.
    When those people come along, make sure you share this information.
    http://lifetheuniverseandonebrow.blogspot.com/

Isaiah 1:18 -- Come now, and let us reason together

Any habitual action, such as eating or dressing, may be performed on the appropriate occasion, without any need of thought, and the same seems to be true of a painfully large proportion of our talk. -- Bertrand Russell

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    anybody who thinks al takes the opposing team's best big needs to watch more closely. al guards deandre jordan while millsap guards blake griffin. al guards joel anthony while paul guards lebron. the only recent game i can think of where they switched it up a little was the spurs game where they wanted to give TD different looks so all 4 bigs had their turn on him.

besides that, we're talking about 220-270 plays where each guy was labeled the primary defender... so we're working in a sample size here that evens out the anomalies and is pretty valid and fair at making a comparison. paul sends his man to line less often (3.7% of the time versus 8.5%), forces slightly more turnovers (8.9% to 7.6%), holds his man to a lower FG% in almost every defensive category (except the post, where al has him by a few percentage points), and overall just defends better on the ball (.81 PPP to .91 PPP).

sorry if those numbers don't jive with people's opinions so you'd rather ignore them and keep believing what you want to believe... but nothing i just said is anything less than factual.
    Sap is reputed to be one of the top "foulers" in the league. I guess he fouls before the shot attempt then?

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Sap is reputed to be one of the top "foulers" in the league. I guess he fouls before the shot attempt then?
    3.7% of his defensive possessions result in free throws, al puts his guy on the line 8.5% of the time. some of that could have something to do with the fact that paul fouls out on the floor a little bit more because he's a more all-purpose defender than al... but the other thing i'll say is that the "reputation" for being a huge fouler is off, at least in comparison with al. they're 11 fouls apart for the season or .26 fouls per game. every four games, paul commits one extra foul more than al. so this idea that paul can't keep his hands to himself is a little overblown.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    3.7% of his defensive possessions result in free throws, al puts his guy on the line 8.5% of the time. some of that could have something to do with the fact that paul fouls out on the floor a little bit more because he's a more all-purpose defender than al... but the other thing i'll say is that the "reputation" for being a huge fouler is off, at least in comparison with al. they're 11 fouls apart for the season or .26 fouls per game. every four games, paul commits one extra foul more than al. so this idea that paul can't keep his hands to himself is a little overblown.
    Monson recently wrote that Sap was one of the most "fouling" guys in the league. I doubt he is wrong but I don't know where to get the stats for that.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Millsap hasn't had a fouling problem in quite a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by every forum dreg
    I think he can play SF

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Monson recently wrote that Sap was one of the most "fouling" guys in the league. I doubt he is wrong but I don't know where to get the stats for that.
    haha, i literally laughed at loud at that reply. "monson said it so you must be wrong even though you backed it up with data and monson just let his theory go like a fart in the wind." if monson said that, he was wrong. he and al foul at an almost identical rate, and actually favors and kanter foul at a much HIGHER rate than either on a per-36 basis. but it's nice that monson said so....

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulu View Post
    I really like Milsap.....

But I'm at the point where I'm ready to move on!!
    This!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggs View Post
    So I was very mad about the game, but I wasn't going to vent here, because you guys all feel the same way. However, Ty's postgame interview got my blood boiling. On why he let Trey and Gordon play while having bad games, "You gotta let them battle through it because that's what you gotta do." Really are you kidding me. You have to balls to say that when you pulled Alec after 16 minutes against LAC and Kanter got 19 minutes toinght?

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    on a per-minute basis, millsap fouls less than favors, kanter, carroll and exactly the same as foye. among rotation players (guys with at least 10 mpg in at least 20 games), he is 97th in the league in foul rate. and again, he puts his own man on the line about half as often as the team on average (3.7% compared to team average of 6.9%).

monson was wrong.